• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will max towing option improve Lightning's range?

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Extra cooling impacting charge rage does relate to charging heavier loads because...remember the range we'll have with an 8K tow load.
Sponsored

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Iā€™m still not convinced that the max towing package doesnā€™t impact range. The Platinum trim package has a range of 300 miles with ER battery compared to the 320 mile range of all the of the other trims with ER. One of the main differences between the Platinum and all the other trims is that the Platinum trim comes with max towing as standard.

The ICE max tow packages come with taller gearing that definitely reduces gas mileage. I donā€™t think the 150L with max towing has taller gears but pushing around all that extra cooling fluid could reduce range. Iā€™m considering trims other than the Platinum because I want to maximize range but I may have to go without max towing if we find out that option reduces range.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
It's the 22" wheels of the Platinum that cut into range, not the towing package. Max tow only increases cooling capacity. Coolant pumps do use energy, but nowhere near enough to affect range. That is if it even increases power draw at all. The Lariat ER + max tow window sticker showed 320 miles of range, and the Lariat has 20" wheels.

If you care about range, buy small wheels, avoid A/T tires, install a tonneau cover and (maybe) opt for powered running boards.

OP
OP
SeanOC

SeanOC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Raptor ā€˜21 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Pilot
It's the 22" wheels of the Platinum that cut into range, not the towing package. Max tow only increases cooling capacity. Coolant pumps do use energy, but nowhere near enough to affect range. That is if it even increases power draw at all. The Lariat ER + max tow window sticker showed 320 miles of range, and the Lariat has 20" wheels.

If you care about range, buy small wheels, avoid A/T tires, install a tonneau cover and (maybe) opt for powered running boards.
AFAIK power running boards is not an option, (it wasnā€™t on my Lariat ER) and tonneau covers have been tested to not improve fuel economy on pickup trucks.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
AFAIK power running boards is not an option, (it wasnā€™t on my Lariat ER) and tonneau covers have been tested to not improve fuel economy on pickup trucks.
You can now add power running boards as an option on the Lightning. I had my dealer do it last week. This may delay delivery.

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
If I ever get invited to order the Pro I'd select max tow. My thinking may be off, but here it is:
-My occasional (local) towing is close to the 5,000 pound max (and what if I get a bigger boat?)
-Max Towing doesn't cost much and probably adds to resale value if/when that time comes.
-It is now or never...there is no dealer installed or aftermarket max tow option (better be safe than sorry)
-It may help with charging and/or battery longevity and does not seem to add appreciably to weight/drag/etc. and/or introduce additional high maintenance components (so no real downside other than initial cost)
Sponsored