• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will Max Tow Package on Lightning reduce range when NOT towing?

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
I don't know if I'm regretting not adding the Max Tow package to my pro. I ordered the Tow Tech package, and was going to add on the max tow, but didn't like that i had to add on the the 9.6kw pro power onboard package (since i can't power my home with the pro model .such b.s.). So for almost $2k, i can only tow 2,700 more (not 10k lb like ER can) and can't power my home. and just like that, i talked myself out of max tow package and am once again happy with my order. Wow, typing therapy does help!
Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I don't know if I'm regretting not adding the Max Tow package to my pro. I ordered the Tow Tech package, and was going to add on the max tow, but didn't like that i had to add on the the 9.6kw pro power onboard package (since i can't power my home with the pro model .such b.s.). So for almost $2k, i can only tow 2,700 more (not 10k lb like ER can) and can't power my home. and just like that, i talked myself out of max tow package and am once again happy with my order. Wow, typing therapy does help!
Start regretting again because the upgrade to 9.6kW pro power onboard can be used to deliver 7.2kW to the house. Very similar to with the hybrid.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Maybe a little (~2% or 5-6 miles). They don't do as much as many think.

https://www.torquenews.com/4140/does-bed-cover-really-increase-your-toyota-tundras-mpgs
There isnt really a comparison for a tonneau cover though. EV will see a much larger increase than an ICE vehicle would due to it being efficient to begin with.
That said, truck manufactures usually design a truck so there is a pocket of air in the bed so it acts like a cover anyways.
In reality, the modern F-150's tailgate is design to maximize airflow, minimize drag, and basically duplicate the effect that a tonneau cover could have. Therefore, in reality, it basically isn't going to make any difference.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
Start regretting again because the upgrade to 9.6kW pro power onboard can be used to deliver 7.2kW to the house. Very similar to with the hybrid.

I'm glad they figured out how to do it this time around.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I see now why we can't get ours. The Rock and Arnold are in the front of the line. Maybe Jay also.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I'm pretty sure the home backup feature will work with the pro trim if you get the 9.6 pro power, you just have to purchase and install the Ford pro charging station separately.

Viper GTS

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 M3P, 2005 GX470
Occupation
God
I'm pretty sure the home backup feature will work with the pro trim if you get the 9.6 pro power, you just have to purchase and install the Ford pro charging station separately.
Do we actually have any evidence that the upgraded pro power is a requirement for V2H? I would tend to doubt it since it's delivered as DC via the CCS DCFC pins.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
Ford is not being very forthcoming on this. All Lightning trims with the ER battery can return DC via the CCS pins on the Charge Station Pro — that’s how the home backup works. It’s not related to or dependent on the 9.6kW Pro Power add-on. They just both happen to have a 9.6kW output. Technically the standard range Lightning Pro (or XLT and Lariat w/ SR battery) can feed the power to the CSP the same way. We just don’t know if Ford will allow it. It would almost certainly be a software limitation unless the few components for the CCS DC reverse tap are not present with the SR battery…

Worst case, there is still the 240V 30A outlet in the bed if the ProPower upgrade is on the truck. That gives 7.2kW peak output for home backup or other power needs.

For the home backup, we don’t know if the 9.6kW advertised output is the sustained/operational rate or the peak rate. If it’s peak, then the home backup is probably returning 240VDC @ 50A via the Charge Station Pro, if it’s operational then 60A… Really wish Ford would release all the specs and stop the information circle jerk with SunRun where neither seem to know what’s what and just point the finger at one another when trying to extract info.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Do we actually have any evidence that the upgraded pro power is a requirement for V2H? I would tend to doubt it since it's delivered as DC via the CCS DCFC pins.
There is no evidence pro power onboard upgrade is required to utilize the V2H. There IS evidence that the V2H solution could get very expensive, and a bigger add for SR vehicles that require an additional activation fee and Charge Station Pro hardware purchase among all the other purchases as ER owner would also have to make. So point is that the pro power onboard upgrade is probably well worth the money to make work as the home back-up over the actually home back-up system Ford is marketing so heavily and then outsourcing and staying silent on details.
Sponsored