• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will Max Tow Package on Lightning reduce range when NOT towing?

Kickaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Anyone have any idea if the Max Tow Package will reduce range while NOT towing? On the ICE models, I think you get a different gearing but with the Lighting, the motors are electric so I assume they are not any different with the Max Tow Package. Any have any better info?
Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Anyone have any idea if the Max Tow Package will reduce range while NOT towing? On the ICE models, I think you get a different gearing but with the Lighting, the motors are electric so I assume they are not any different with the Max Tow Package. Any have any better info?
Interesting question. I think the main mechanical difference with Max Tow is an augmented battery/motor cooling system. I also read somewhere that it may include an e-locker on the rear differential.

I'd guess that there would be some range penalty from the added weight of the equipment. However, it's possible that better thermal management will make heat throttling less likely during fast charging sessions.

Bippers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Thunderbird 2014 Honda Accord
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Max towing package only adds additional cooling and probably would be more beneficial to have than not even if you don't tow.

OP
OP

Kickaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Max towing package only adds additional cooling and probably would be more beneficial to have than not even if you don't tow.
Okay, thanks. I was just curious if the Max Tow Package was contributing to the Platinum Trim only getting 280 miles range vs. the Lariat or not.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I've heard the cooling and lockers but also a camera package but I'd think that you won't get a different gearing. The mpg-e should be the same.

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Okay, thanks. I was just curious if the Max Tow Package was contributing to the Platinum Trim only getting 280 miles range vs. the Lariat or not.
The difference in range between the Platinum and lower trims is that the Platinum has much larger tires. larger tires have a negative impact on fuel efficiency. 20 miles less sounds about right for the bigger rims and tires.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I am hoping that, as with Tesla, it is possible to order premium trims like the Platinum, with smaller wheels. You can order a Plaid MS, which comes with 21" standard, with 19" wheels.

Rollingblock

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
97 f150, 01 F250, 2012 Mustang
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but has it been confirmed if Ford's range estimates were in a loaded or unloaded state? It was said in some places it was with 1000lb payload but that seems a stretch to me.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but has it been confirmed if Ford's range estimates were in a loaded or unloaded state? It was said in some places it was with 1000lb payload but that seems a stretch to me.
People make way to much of that loading - it really won't impact the range that much (a few percent - especially at highway speeds). Extra weight just adds to rolling resistance, but aero drag is the major source of drag - not rolling resistance.

Sponsored

Rollingblock

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
97 f150, 01 F250, 2012 Mustang
People make way to much of that loading - it really won't impact the range that much (a few percent - especially at highway speeds). Extra weight just adds to rolling resistance, but aero drag is the major source of drag - not rolling resistance.
I'm assuming then that no official range numbers have been released at this point?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm assuming then that no official range numbers have been released at this point?
Range is currently advertised as 230/300 “EPA estimated”. This should mean that those ranges are measured per the EPA standard. This was reported by GreenCarReports.com in late December. It’s supposed to be “official.”
As always, YMMV!

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
very true. I wonder what difference a bed cover will make for range since that would take the wind resistance of the tailgate away..

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager