Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I grew up in Texas. (64 years)
Honestly, the 1/2 ton pick-up has been a car for many households as long as I can remember.
Admittedly more so as trucks became available with luxury and the CrewCab became huge and spacious.
Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Ford is trying desperately to cling to the idea that lower trim level Supercrew Short Box F150's are still trucks and not the open cargo area family SUVs that they have become. Admirable I suppose but delusional at the same time.
I think you got that backwards.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
So would most. The upper levels are most likely to be family vehicles with no tow/haul/off road time.....IE SUV.
You misunderstood.

Sponsored

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 500A Lariat 4x4 5.0L
So would most. The upper levels are most likely to be family vehicles with no tow/haul/off road time.....IE SUV.
In my childhood, an SUV was a 4x4 body on frame. Nowadays, there are hardly any of those left, most are either AWD or unibody. The few 4x4 body on frame and much pricier than a truck.
I believe most options should be available on any trim, just like engine choices (maybe I want a 3.3 on a platinum). You see that in Europe and Asia a lot, full 100% configuration of options or at least packages. The 302A to 500A price difference doesn't justify the options being omitted on the XLT. Even for the price difference on 101A or STX to 500A, if you are spending that much money, just get the Lariat for a few $k more or buy used around 10-15k (good luck). Or just gate a base 250 strictly for tow/haul.

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired
I did the STX.

Added Katzkin, Husky liners, qheel liners, leveled with Nitto 295/60/20, Fuel wheels, tonneau, and amp research power steps.
Then added smoked emblems and Apharex headlights
I bought a set of the new take out lariat leather for my xl

Less than stepping to an XLT

20220707_175137.jpg
I did the STX.

Added Katzkin, Husky liners, qheel liners, leveled with Nitto 295/60/20, Fuel wheels, tonneau, and amp research power steps.
Then added smoked emblems and Apharex headlights

Less than stepping to an XLT

20220707_175137.jpg
I bought a set of the new take out lariat seats for mine

Sponsored

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired
In my childhood, an SUV was a 4x4 body on frame. Nowadays, there are hardly any of those left, most are either AWD or unibody. The few 4x4 body on frame and much pricier than a truck.
I believe most options should be available on any trim, just like engine choices (maybe I want a 3.3 on a platinum). You see that in Europe and Asia a lot, full 100% configuration of options or at least packages. The 302A to 500A price difference doesn't justify the options being omitted on the XLT. Even for the price difference on 101A or STX to 500A, if you are spending that much money, just get the Lariat for a few $k more or buy used around 10-15k (good luck). Or just gate a base 250 strictly for tow/haul.
A few thousand more? you have to tell us where to get those

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
There's fellas that add the 4A transfer case and dash switch to their XLT and enable it with a minor Forscan edit. I don't know if anyone has done it yet with a 2021-2022, but I doubt the routine would have changed much.

It's such a nice feature and I bet the cost to Ford between the two Borg Warner cases is peanuts. Too bad Ford doesn't just use the same case for all 4WD trucks. I guess they use the feature to pressure the buyer to do exactly what you had to do. :(
There is no question Ford, and I presume the other manufacturers, will do that. There is no reason Ford limits the HDPP Pkg to XLT 301A and lower trims, except Ford doesn't want to eat into F250 sales.

Ford knows many, many buyers do not want to give up the creature comforts of the 302A F150, so they get the F250 instead.

There is no logical reason to limit HDPP to 201A and lower.

And as we PB owners know, there is no reason to not allow the HDPP to be added to the PB. Heck, even if a HDPP had been limited to a 301A XLT or lower trim on a Power Boost, I probably would have gone in that direction, even though my wife does love the heated seats in my 302A.

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I think the XL is a great "bang for the buck" option and I wouldn't regret getting the XL at all.

But... I wanted ALL the goodies in a Regular Cab Short Bed so I went XLT.

I would love to have the options available in the higher trim models, but you can't get a Lariat RCSB.

And as for the "SUV -vs- P/U Truck" argument... I have to agree that the 4-door Full Size leans more toward the 4-star Hotel Room side than the Pickup Truck side.

You can "park" a RCSB. You have to "dock" a 4-door Land Yacht.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I say get what you want, if XL meets what you want then go for that. I've not gotten options in the past and regretted it. This time I wanted adaptive cruise control and was looking at the XLT. By the time I priced it out I was a few thousand below a Lariat and the base Lariat added a lot of options. That why I ended up going with the Lariat 500a, it fit everything I wanted including a column shifter and bench seats. Just went on a camping trip last month where we had 6 people camping in the mountains. I didn't want sunroof, tailgate stuff, and other things on the higher trim levels. I have no regrets and would order the same truck again in a heartbeat.

Docden

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT PB hybrid. 2018 Ford Flex
Occupation
Professor at University of Houston
I went from several XLT models to an XL STX. Although there are some items I miss, I can easily live without them. I like the sporty look of the STX. I would say - like others - it depends on your needs and budget. Like some others indicated, I am looking at a Powerboost in XL. I really wish I could get an STX Powerboost but for 2023, it's not available. I'll see what 2024 brings.
Sponsored