Sponsored

Will I regret going with XL?

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Initially I thought I would try to keep my truck on the cheaper side and go with XL trim but I looked at what I’m giving up and started wondering if it’s too much of a downgrade. So now I’m thinking XLT. Truck would be a daily commuter and also used for camping and road trips.

I’m coming from a Subaru Crosstrek Limited which has:
leather/heated seats
Power Adjustable seats
Leather wrapped steering wheel
Led head/taillights
Steering responsive headlights
Keyless lock/unlock
Sunroof
Adaptive cruise control/ lane keep assist

There is too much crap on these trucks IMHO. I had to have 4A so I had to get a Lariat. Waaaaaaaaaaaay too many electronic nannies that will force me to get a lengthy extended warranty
Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Check out these heated seats I got at Costco, 19.97 for the pair. They are like a wetsuit fabric. Good option for XLT if you don’t wanna sell a kidney IMo

I know they’re not leather but they work like an absolute charm. They plug into the cigarette lighter in the back

Ford F-150 Will I regret going with XL? 23B213A8-6880-4927-8E1C-39B933622A1E

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
There is too much crap on these trucks IMHO. I had to have 4A so I had to get a Lariat. Waaaaaaaaaaaay too many electronic nannies that will force me to get a lengthy extended warranty
There's fellas that add the 4A transfer case and dash switch to their XLT and enable it with a minor Forscan edit. I don't know if anyone has done it yet with a 2021-2022, but I doubt the routine would have changed much.

It's such a nice feature and I bet the cost to Ford between the two Borg Warner cases is peanuts. Too bad Ford doesn't just use the same case for all 4WD trucks. I guess they use the feature to pressure the buyer to do exactly what you had to do. :(

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
There's fellas that add the 4A transfer case and dash switch to their XLT and enable it with a minor Forscan edit. I don't know if anyone has done it yet with a 2021-2022, but I doubt the routine would have changed much.

It's such a nice feature and I bet the cost to Ford between the two Borg Warner cases is peanuts. Too bad Ford doesn't just use the same case for all 4WD trucks. I guess they use the feature to pressure the buyer to do exactly what you had to do. :(
curious cab You easily see which P/N is on the 4A version? This is mine for just regular 4x4

Ford F-150 Will I regret going with XL? B5763FC3-FDFD-495A-8723-165B3F2E79A1

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

I did that on my 2016 XLT. I wasn't going to do that to a brand new truck and then have to mess with Ford for warranty work. Yes, I know all about Mag-Moss Warranty act, definitely not hiring a lawyer to get my truck fixed.

Sponsored

sum2prove

First Name
Flocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 FORD f150
Occupation
Software engineer
Thanks lots of good points for XL and XLT

Instead of starting another thread I'll try to just ask here, as someone who doesnt plan on doing a lot of towing are there any disadvatages of going the the 3.31 vs the 3.55 axles?
If towing isn’t your primary concern, the standard axle ratio is probably your best choice to balance towing capability and fuel economy. Manufacturers use the standard axle ratio when setting fuel economy estimates, but fuel economy can drop by 1-2 miles per gallon when changing axle ratios. The only disadvantage of not going with a higher axle is a lower towing capacity which you seem to not need... I'd also recommend downloading vehicle towing guides (also known as towing charts) from manufacturer websites. These will help you determine which engine and axle ratio is right for your needs by matching engines and axle ratios to towing capacities.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4

YES! This drives me nuts. That would be the only reason I'd look at a Lariat. GM and Ram offer it on their mid grade trucks. Come on Ford!

I could sell the existing transfer case to recoup some of the cost... :unsure:

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
YES! This drives me nuts. That would be the only reason I'd look at a Lariat. GM and Ram offer it on their mid grade trucks. Come on Ford!

Ford is trying desperately to cling to the idea that lower trim level Supercrew Short Box F150's are still trucks and not the open cargo area family SUVs that they have become. Admirable I suppose but delusional at the same time.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

Ya wanna buy mine?

Reactions: 780

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Ya wanna buy mine?
"Not a bot"..... Surrre....

Ford F-150 Will I regret going with XL? 2p

That's what all the bots say...

Where do I send all my bank info? lol

Seriously though. It's probably not a mod I'd do unless I had to pull the transfer case anyway. I got along fine for 6 years in the winter with my last XLT. It's more of a want than a need.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
No regrets.....

And i agree on the way too much electronic crap. Part of why I didnt order them

IMG_7961.jpg
The XL has a better looking grille than my $70,000 Lariat 502A Sport.
Ford F-150 Will I regret going with XL? 20220624_202019

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Ford is trying desperately to cling to the idea that lower trim level Supercrew Short Box F150's are still trucks and not the open cargo area family SUVs that they have become. Admirable I suppose but delusional at the same time.
Interesting stance.

Why would an XL CrewCab Powerboost be an SUV rather than perhaps the most capable entry level 1/2 ton truck in history? :)

I'm admitting that I'm incredibly impressed with what our corporate fleet Powerboost is capable of.

Edit: after re-reading your post I realize we might be saying the same thing? I can't tell. Lol

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Interesting stance.

Why would an XL CrewCab Powerboost be an SUV rather than perhaps the most capable entry level 1/2 ton truck in history? :)

I'm admitting that I'm incredibly impressed with what our corporate fleet Powerboost is capable of.

Edit: after re-reading your post I realize we might be saying the same thing? I can't tell. Lol
I didn't mean they can't be that, but was commenting rather on what they overwhelmingly actually are.

As you climb the ladder of trim levels, one by one things like long beds, regular(and even extended) cabs, tow mirrors, HDPP, 18" wheels and the like become unavailable. It seems to assume that luxury trim buyers are not going to use it like a traditional truck.

Yes, Powerboost has crossover appeal to both recreational and commercial buyers.

OP
OP
Ryan74

Ryan74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Carbonized Gray 4x4
I didn't mean they can't be that, but was commenting rather on what they overwhelmingly actually are.

As you climb the ladder of trim levels, one by one things like long beds, regular(and even extended) cabs, tow mirrors, HDPP, 18" wheels and the like become unavailable. It seems to assume that luxury trim buyers are not going to use it like a traditional truck.
I live in a wealthy area, lots of Limited's and Platinum's. I could count on one hand where I saw a Platinum with something like a 2x4 in the bed. They've really become the new soccer mom van.
Sponsored