• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redskins5

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
Government
Time to design and install a solar tonneau cover for the bed so it can charge while parked or driving.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JoeDimwit

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Occupation
Electrician.
The dual chargers only has an effect on L2 AC charging. Not DCFC (if that is what you are talking about regarding charge stations). The DCFC are direct DC current to the battery and do not go through the chargers.
That may well be correct, I am going to ask them today about the charging discrepancy .

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I wonder what the range will be at -30, we have cold weather here. From what I have seen, the cold weather reduces the range in most electric vehicles by about 50%.

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Both the SR and ER DCFC at 150 KW. Why does it take the SR LONGER to charge when it has a smaller battery?
It has to do with ramp up and ramp down when really close to 0% and 100% battery. The LR battery can charge at a higher rate for longer due to its size therefore it edges out the SR in terms of charging speed.
My guess is that the extended range pack is actually 2 smaller packs that can both be fed simultaneously.
The answer was briefly mentioned in the reveal and clarified more in the published list of features, but it's not emphasized well.

The ER has dual built in chargers to take advantage of the 80 amp Ford wall charger. The SR truck does not have dual chargers and therefore will not charge as fast as the ER regardless of the level 2 charger to which it is connected.

Mnknolan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜95 F250, ā€˜65 Mustang, ā€˜19 GTI
To achieve 350kW charge rates you almost have to go to a higher voltage system like Porsche and Hyundai have done. Charging a 400V battery pack at even 200kW requires you put 500a into the pack. The batter canā€™t charge at that rate, heat in the pack becomes a challenge and the charge cables become very difficult to manage.

My guess is that the extended range pack is actually 2 smaller packs that can both be fed simultaneously.

I am curious why they chose to stay at 150kW rather than making it 350kW capable.

Sponsored

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
The answer was briefly mentioned in the reveal and clarified more in the published list of features, but it's not emphasized well.

The ER has dual built in chargers to take advantage of the 80 amp Ford wall charger. The SR truck does not have dual chargers and therefore will not charge as fast as the ER regardless of the level 2 charger to which it is connected.
Your response doesn't make any sense to me. 150KW is not L2 charging. Sure it has two onboard chargers to take the 80A AC current but 150KW is DC (from the external charging station) to DC with no conversion required. It's a direct to battery feed and the amount of KW the battery can take is usually a function of its voltage because once you get into extremely high amperage the heat generation and cable size becomes too much.

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Your response doesn't make any sense to me. 150KW is not L2 charging. Sure it has two onboard chargers to take the 80A AC current but 150KW is DC (from the external charging station) to DC with no conversion required. It's a direct to battery feed and the amount of KW the battery can take is usually a function of its voltage because once you get into extremely high amperage the heat generation and cable size becomes too much.
I didn't say anything about 150kw. The 80 amp charger is a level 2 charger for homes. 150 kw has nothing to do with my response. The 150kw number relates to commercial chargers you find at businesses and along highways which are needed for road trips. They are DC fast chargers and operate independently of the Lightning's internal chargers, which are o ky needed for level 1 and level 2 charging.

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I didn't say anything about 150kw. The 80 amp charger is a level 2 charger for homes. 150 kw has nothing to do with my response. The 150kw number relates to commercial chargers you find at businesses and along highways which are needed for road trips. They are DC fast chargers and operate independently of the Lightning's internal chargers, which are o ky needed for level 1 and level 2 charging.
You literally quoted the original question which was why the extended battery charges faster at 150KW than the standard range battery, and then quoted my reply and someone else's reply with a response about L2 charging.

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
You literally quoted the original question which was why the extended battery charges faster at 150KW than the standard range battery, and then quoted my reply and someone else's reply with a response about L2 charging.
I see the confusion. I agree with your point. DCFC bypasses the onboard chargers, so the dual chargers should not play a role in allowing the Lightning to charge faster at the DCFC with 150kw charging.

We are in the same page now. The dual chargers will only help on the 80a level 2 wall charger.

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
And then there would be all kinds of complaints if that estimate was not met. BEV is not ICE. There are many more variables to skew any average they could come up with if they told you 20-50% loss of range what would you think? That may be realistic.
I would be OK with that as an answer. At least it would give me some parameters for planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.