• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtFreak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Ford F250
Occupation
Retired ( paper maker )
Right now there is not enough infrastructure (charging stations) out there for electric vehicles , So the 300 mile range is really 150 because if you travel 150 miles and there is now where to charge up you EV up ahead than you'll need the other 150 to get back home.
Sponsored

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, 2019 Fusion Energi, 2016 Escape
Both the SR and ER DCFC at 150 KW. Why does it take the SR LONGER to charge when it has a smaller battery?
Also . . . the spec sheet says the 80 amp connected charger is included with the ER pack - is that correct, or a typo? See attached spec sheet.

Attachments

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't think anyone can tell you the towing range without knowing WHAT you are towing. And not just weight. EV's lose range due to aero too. The same weight trailer with good Aero may not affect range the same way as one that is shaped like a square block. Be ready for weather to affect range too, along with elevation. It's almost an impossible question to answer.

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Both the SR and ER DCFC at 150 KW. Why does it take the SR LONGER to charge when it has a smaller battery?
Also . . . the spec sheet says the 80 amp connected charger is included with the ER pack - is that correct, or a typo? See attached spec sheet.
It has to do with ramp up and ramp down when really close to 0% and 100% battery. The LR battery can charge at a higher rate for longer due to its size therefore it edges out the SR in terms of charging speed.

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
I don't think anyone can tell you the towing range without knowing WHAT you are towing. And not just weight. EV's lose range due to aero too. The same weight trailer with good Aero may not affect range the same way as one that is shaped like a square block. Be ready for weather to affect range too, along with elevation. It's almost an impossible question to answer.
I think with enough testing, they should be able to come up with an average. Just like we do when estimating mpg while towing - enough people give you their results and it gives you a pretty decent guesstimate.

Sponsored

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
I read that there are dual chargers installed with the ER pack. Too early to have a clear picture. There are plenty of charge stations in my area. I am 90 miles to Vegas and 120 miles to my cabin the other direction. No problems here for the places I go every week. I will go for the ER pack just because I might be able to go to the Vegas airport and back on a single charge.

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think with enough testing, they should be able to come up with an average. Just like we do when estimating mpg while towing - enough people give you their results and it gives you a pretty decent guesstimate.
And then there would be all kinds of complaints if that estimate was not met. BEV is not ICE. There are many more variables to skew any average they could come up with if they told you 20-50% loss of range what would you think? That may be realistic.

OP
OP
JoeDimwit

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Occupation
Electrician.
One of my biggest questions as well. I would expect too many variables involved for an official corporate response. I don't think we'll really have this answer until people/ YouTube bloggers get their hands on one and try to tow with it. But with an EPA rating of 300 mi, you know real world that's going to be less than that and then once you start towing a loaded trailer...... I'd say, plan on staying around town
I have a Mach-E with the extended battery pack and AWD. The epa number for my car is 270. I am routinely seeing closer to 300 miles when I don’t use heat or AC. Unlike “some other manufacturers”, Ford seems to be being conservative on their estimated ranges. Or perhaps they’re estimating these electric vehicles with climate control on… ?‍♂

Either way, I feel like they will hit their numbers.

Reactions: Ron

Sponsored
OP
OP
JoeDimwit

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Occupation
Electrician.
My guess is that the extended range pack is actually 2 smaller packs that can both be fed simultaneously.

I am curious why they chose to stay at 150kW rather than making it 350kW capable.

OP
OP
JoeDimwit

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Occupation
Electrician.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/amp36481590/ford-f150-lightning-range-towing/

EV truck Towing range article by Car & Driver.

I'd love to have a Frunk and all but I'd have too much range anxiety as we do take some trips and tow trailers
The Mach-E meets or exceeds the EPA estimates, I take issue with the 20% haircut C&D is taking off the top. If I’m closer to correct, the towing range should be around 120 and 150 for the standard and extended packs respectively.

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My guess is that the extended range pack is actually 2 smaller packs that can both be fed simultaneously.

I am curious why they chose to stay at 150kW rather than making it 350kW capable.
Me too.

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I read that there are dual chargers installed with the ER pack. Too early to have a clear picture. There are plenty of charge stations in my area. I am 90 miles to Vegas and 120 miles to my cabin the other direction. No problems here for the places I go every week. I will go for the ER pack just because I might be able to go to the Vegas airport and back on a single charge.
The dual chargers only has an effect on L2 AC charging. Not DCFC (if that is what you are talking about regarding charge stations). The DCFC are direct DC current to the battery and do not go through the chargers.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.