Sponsored

Will 2021 F150 orders placed in early 2021 and still unfulfilled by November or December be upgraded to 2022?

Fotocb

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
I'm in Canada and, last March, I placed my order for a 2021 F150 Platinum with a couple of options
affected by component shortage issues (3.5 EB engine, Max tow package, interior work surface).
Almost four months have passed and there is still absolutely zero activity to speak of in my order status, not even a VIN.

Realistically, I'm not getting my truck anytime soon, certainly not before November or December according to my salesguy.
It leaves me frustrated and wondering.
I will have bought a 2021 model and maybe receive it when possibly some customers will be receiving their 2022 models.

I will have paid full price for a truck that will have already lost thousands of dollars in value without having driven a mile.
The first year is the worst for depreciation.

Shouldn't Ford consider, as a compensation measure, to upgrade such orders as 2022 models?
As anybody read or heard anything in that regard?
Sponsored

85Mustangman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Supercab/ 6.5 box, 2.7, 302A, Antimatter
Occupation
Retired
I'm in Canada and, last March, I placed my order for a 2021 F150 Platinum with a couple of options
affected by component shortage issues (3.5 EB engine, Max tow package, interior work surface).
Almost four months have passed and there is still absolutely zero activity to speak of in my order status, not even a VIN.

Realistically, I'm not getting my truck anytime soon, certainly not before November or December according to my salesguy.
It leaves me frustrated and wondering.
I will have bought a 2021 model and maybe receive it when possibly some customers will be receiving their 2022 models.

I will have paid full price for a truck that will have already lost thousands of dollars in value without having driven a mile.
The first year is the worst for depreciation.

Shouldn't Ford consider, as a compensation measure, to upgrade such orders as 2022 models?
As anybody read or heard anything in that regard?
I am also in the "ordered in March club" along with many others here in this forum.

Something is amiss with your case. usually a VIN is assigned within 3-4 weeks of your dealer placing the order with Ford. either you have ordered from the smallest dealer in the world with zero allotment, or your dealer has screwed up your order (at best) or your dealer is lying to you (at worst). Where are you and who is your dealer?

Assuming you have a bill of sale and have put a down payment on the vehicle (per OMVIC rules), I would check with Ford Canada customer relations and verify what your dealer is telling you.

One last thing... the 2022's are scheduled to start being built in mid Nov (Dearborn) and early Dec (KC) so for your dealer to tell you your delivery will be "certainly not before November or December" seems pretty far fetched.

If you are worried about the resale and depreciation issue, you always have the option to cancel and re-order a 2022, however you likely wont get any kind of deal since prices are high now due to limited inventory... seems many dealers are selling at, or above MSRP. No discounts.

Good Luck.

Bigboypants

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazdaspeed 6, Gmc Yukon, Nissan Sentra, Ford Focus
Im also in march ordering club and i got my vin but no movement there, my ETA is 1990/01/01, no production or build dates, nothing. Its been almost 3.5 months for me now

OP
OP

Fotocb

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
I am also in the "ordered in March club" along with many others here in this forum.

Something is amiss with your case. usually a VIN is assigned within 3-4 weeks of your dealer placing the order with Ford. either you have ordered from the smallest dealer in the world with zero allotment, or your dealer has screwed up your order (at best) or your dealer is lying to you (at worst). Where are you and who is your dealer?

Assuming you have a bill of sale and have put a down payment on the vehicle (per OMVIC rules), I would check with Ford Canada customer relations and verify what your dealer is telling you.

One last thing... the 2022's are scheduled to start being built in mid Nov (Dearborn) and early Dec (KC) so for your dealer to tell you your delivery will be "certainly not before November or December" seems pretty far fetched.

If you are worried about the resale and depreciation issue, you always have the option to cancel and re-order a 2022, however you likely wont get any kind of deal since prices are high now due to limited inventory... seems many dealers are selling at, or above MSRP. No discounts.

Good Luck.
I did write to Ford Canada customer relations and here's the reply I received:
"[...] once they know all the components serial numbers that will be on the vehicle then they can issue the VIN. This is how the rest of Ford Motor Co and others can see what parts are on the vehicle and where they came from".

Mixxfixx

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Coming who knows when 202? F150 screw Lariat
Occupation
Professor
I’m in the March order group as well. I don’t even have a vin yet. My dealer told me if I don’t get a 21 I’ll get a 22 for same price.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fotocb

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
I’m in the March order group as well. I don’t even have a vin yet. My dealer told me if I don’t get a 21 I’ll get a 22 for same price.
How do you mean "get a 2022 for the same price"?
Will you have to cancel your 2021 order and place a brand new order for a 2022?
When are you planning to do that move?

What about the wait time for this new order?

An what about getting the same price for a 2022?
Who's going to honour that? Ford or your dealership?
Do you have something in writing to that effect?

Mixxfixx

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professor
How do you mean "get a 2022 for the same price"?
Will you have to cancel your 2021 order and place a brand new order for a 2022?
When are you planning to do that move?

What about the wait time for this new order?

An what about getting the same price for a 2022?
Who's going to honour that? Ford or your dealership?
Do you have something in writing to that effect?
I’m not cancelling anything. I’m just waiting for a vin. So be it 21 or a 22 we will see. This is what my dealer told me in an email below

‘ Ford has confirmed that it will be producing 15000 trucks for the 2021 Model year. If your truck gets built, it will be awesome. In case it doesn’t get built, EVEN BETTER because you will get the 2022 Model Year at the price of 2021’

OP
OP

Fotocb

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
I’m not cancelling anything. I’m just waiting for a vin. So be it 21 or a 22 we will see. This is what my dealer told me in an email below

‘ Ford has confirmed that it will be producing 15000 trucks for the 2021 Model year. If your truck gets built, it will be awesome. In case it doesn’t get built, EVEN BETTER because you will get the 2022 Model Year at the price of 2021’
Thanks for your reply. How recent is this email from your dealer?

Mixxfixx

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professor

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum
If you already have a VIN then they cannot change it to a 22, but since you do not have a VIN yet then I think the longer it takes to get it the more likely it will be transistioned to a 22 depending on what model you are getting. Specifically a truck from Dearborn which changes over first.

I am also in the March club and mine is sitting with a 10/31 date with no movement for months. I came across a dealer that offered to reorder at 3% under invoice which puts the price around $3K more than my original order. So now I am torn to reorder and get a truck that hasn't been sitting all summer, or try to hold off till the last minute to order in the hope that it gets transistioned to a 22. Personally I think Ford should be discounting the trucks by a significant amount to help offset the first year depreciation, but realistically thats not going to happen when they are selling all that hit the lot.

Sponsored

Seavee33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'13 F-150, Ordered 2021 Lariat
Occupation
Electrician/ Project Manager
March order here too. Received VIN last week of March and it's been in "order processing" since. Dealer has no info

OP
OP

Fotocb

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
If you already have a VIN then they cannot change it to a 22, but since you do not have a VIN yet then I think the longer it takes to get it the more likely it will be transistioned to a 22 depending on what model you are getting. Specifically a truck from Dearborn which changes over first.

I am also in the March club and mine is sitting with a 10/31 date with no movement for months. I came across a dealer that offered to reorder at 3% under invoice which puts the price around $3K more than my original order. So now I am torn to reorder and get a truck that hasn't been sitting all summer, or try to hold off till the last minute to order in the hope that it gets transistioned to a 22. Personally I think Ford should be discounting the trucks by a significant amount to help offset the first year depreciation, but realistically thats not going to happen when they are selling all that hit the lot.
Thanks for your input. Is there a way to know where which model/trim level is built? The Michigan plant or the Kentucky one?

85Mustangman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Supercab/ 6.5 box, 2.7, 302A, Antimatter
Occupation
Retired

Yeah, Ford holds all the cards, not likely to see any mea culpa concessions from FoMoCo while they still have customers like us lining up to buy all the new vehicles they can make… perhaps if they lose the coveted #1 spot to RAM, they might wake up, but until then, unlikely.

For you, I guess you have to gauge how bad you need it and when… I must admit that I would be really worried about paying full price for a truck that’s been sitting around for months. Tough choices.

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum
Thanks for your input. Is there a way to know where which model/trim level is built? The Michigan plant or the Kentucky one?
I think Lariat and above is made at Dearborn and everything else made at KC. There is probably a few exceptions with colors and some specific options but thats a good rule of thumb
Sponsored