Sponsored

Wild Speculation: Chipping/Tuning the Powerboost Hybrid Engine.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I think Toyota will get their butts moving being so far ahead. 24-25 I think you can expect to see models starting to show up and with a bang.
This would take a fundamental change in Toyota's strategic plan as they have been very anti-EV for many years, seeing the future in fuel cell technology and hybrids. I still don't even think they have a single full EV for sale currently? I think they are begrudgingly coming around to what everyone else knew all along, that EVs are the way of the future. They realize they need to do this or go out of business as they are WAY behind virtually every other automaker in EV technology.
Sponsored

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
This would take a fundamental change in Toyota's strategic plan as they have been very anti-EV for many years, seeing the future in fuel cell technology and hybrids. I still don't even think they have a single full EV for sale currently? I think they are begrudgingly coming around to what everyone else knew all along, that EVs are the way of the future. They realize they need to do this or go out of business as they are WAY behind virtually every other automaker in EV technology.
Toyota has been selling the Mirai, their fuel cell EV, since 2016. They have decades of R&D in EV tech, and now a treasure trove of solid state battery patents. So while they are certainly far behind in sales because of their bet on fuel cells, they are still very well positioned for the future. They also have a plan to release 6 new EVs by 2025, starting with the bZ4X next year

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Internet Admin

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Toyota has been selling the Mirai, their fuel cell EV, since 2016. They have decades of R&D in EV tech, and now a treasure trove of solid state battery patents. So while they are certainly far behind in sales because of their bet on fuel cells, they are still very well positioned for the future. They also have a plan to release 6 new EVs by 2025, starting with the bZ4X next year
They are not just behind in sales, they don't currently sell ANY EV's currently and haven't for 7 years. Taking 8 years to release the first successor to the discontinued the RAV 4 EV is seriously far behind. They also don't seem to understand that EVs don't need to look freakish and can designed with the same beauty and style that ICE vehicle are. It will be interesting to see if they do correct the serious mistakes they have made in the past. I think it will be some time before they become a player in the EV market but if they can leverage solid state batteries, that could happen.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
In the meantime, I am eagerly looking forward to..

#1. An aftermarket battery upgrade for my truck with higher capacity.
#2. That custom tune that 5 Star has been hinting at for the Powerboost Engine.

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
they don't currently sell ANY EV's currently and haven't for 7 years.
They currently sell the Miria, which is an EV. It just uses a fuel cell for a battery. But I get your point, they don’t offer an EV that has plug-in charging capability.

I think it will be some time before they become a player in the EV market but if they can leverage solid state batteries, that could happen.
As I mentioned, they will begin selling lithium ion battery (plug-in) EVs beginning next year. This will be long before they offer solid state batteries.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
They currently sell the Miria, which is an EV. It just uses a fuel cell for a battery. But I get your point, they don’t offer an EV that has plug-in charging capability.
Toyota sold 6200 Miria cars in the US over 6 years. 640 in all of Europe. That is the number of cars Tesla sells in 13 days!

As I mentioned, they will begin selling lithium ion battery (plug-in) EVs beginning next year. This will be long before they offer solid state batteries.
8 to 10 years behind Ford, Nissan, Tesla, GM, Fiat, and many others. We will see what happens with Toyota but I am not optimistic due to their very poor decisions regarding hydrogen, styling and marketing in the past decade.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Why does it matter if they are selling a fully EV capable car or not? They are way ahead of anyone when it comes to hybrids. To go from hybrid to EV it is put in an AC-DC transformer, bigger battery, and move the motor after you pull out the engine. That's highly simplified, but the principle stands. Their hybrid system is top notch from my understanding, so they're likely closer to other manufacturers than you may think.

Even still, it's not like there are THAT many EVs out there from other manufacturers. Tesla is the only company that's well ahead of the field. Everyone else has something they could release if they haven't already. I'm sure even Toyota has an EV Prius in a closet somewhere they could roll out of they really wanted too.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Also info here
https://insideevs.com/news/460244/toyota-solid-state-battery-detailed/

Gabes
Is right and there is an electric thread on here. Sorry Gabes, back to the subject.

Longhorngary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F150 302A soon to be 2021 F150 KR PB
I think we can all see the WRITING ON THE WALL HERE>
Like it or not
For better or for worse
Electric is the way of the future.

My guess is that the fully electric F150 will be a big hit just so long as the battery is LARGE ENOUGH or can be supplimented with aditional ad-on modules to increase capacity.

As for me.
I absolutely freaking LOVE my Hybrid.
The one and only thing I would seriously like is a LARGER BATTERY.
Yeah I wonder if an aftermarket might be available at some point. I wish the battery was about twice as big and I could select if I wanted full battery mode until it was drained.

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
Yeah I wonder if an aftermarket might be available at some point. I wish the battery was about twice as big and I could select if I wanted full battery mode until it was drained.
Considering how WELL this Hybrid runs, I can't imagine we won't see TWO aftermarket items.

#1. A LARGER replacement battery.
#2. A LARGER replacement electric motor.

May be a few years down the road, but I would bet someone will eventually fill that hole with a product.

Still wish the 3.5HO had been offered.
I suspect there is plenty of untapped power still left in this engine/motor combination and that Ford will bring more of it to bear next year.

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin