Sponsored

Wild Speculation: Chipping/Tuning the Powerboost Hybrid Engine.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
And there goes your factory powertrain warranty.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Internet Admin
And there goes your factory powertrain warranty.
be patient
keep driving your truck
your warranty will EXPIRE soon enough as all those miles just keep PILING UP..

The Engine tune isn't going anywhere

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Not me. Of course I would not even touch having mine done with a 10 ft pool. Lol

Would not want to void that 8 year 100,000 mile warranty.
Early on before we all received our trucks I saw a video where one of the modifications companies did some upgrades and got some great power of them if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
it will be fun to see who bolts on these new upgrades first and starts reporting back on it.
I wonder if ANY of them will modify the Electric Motor profiles in any way..

Sponsored

Valleyrider

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
it will be fun to see who bolts on these new upgrades first and starts reporting back on it.
I wonder if ANY of them will modify the Electric Motor profiles in any way..
I just got my truck, first Ford ever, and I’m curious how reliable people think the powerboost will be. I have tuned previous cars and my wife’s suv is currently tuned and we have never had an issue with any of them. I would love to tune my powerboost I just wonder if there is need to worry about the hybrid aspect of it or not - if I had purchased an eco boost I would tune without a second thought. I really enjoy the way a tuned vehicle drives compared to a stock one, especially our suv, so I see the value in a tune.

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
I just got my truck, first Ford ever, and I’m curious how reliable people think the powerboost will be. I have tuned previous cars and my wife’s suv is currently tuned and we have never had an issue with any of them. I would love to tune my powerboost I just wonder if there is need to worry about the hybrid aspect of it or not - if I had purchased an eco boost I would tune without a second thought. I really enjoy the way a tuned vehicle drives compared to a stock one, especially our suv, so I see the value in a tune.
at this point I don't think there is really anyone out there that knows the answer to this question.

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RCLB 5.0/2022 Powerboost/2023 Maverick Hybrid
About 20 years ago, a coworker & I both bought new crew cab Super Duties with the 7.3 Powerstroke, within a couple of weeks of each other. He immediately got a tuner for his & it made a shocking difference. He then got an aftermarket turbo & upgraded the exhaust for even more power. He subsequently had to repeatedly buy numerous expensive drivetrain components like transmissions, differentials, transfer cases, axles, et al, because the truck wasn’t made to handle that much power. His truck ended up in a junkyard before it was paid for. My 2001 Super Duty is still running strong with a mild tune. Please don’t ruin your truck going too far.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
About 20 years ago, a coworker & I both bought new crew cab Super Duties with the 7.3 Powerstroke, within a couple of weeks of each other. He immediately got a tuner for his & it made a shocking difference. He then got an aftermarket turbo & upgraded the exhaust for even more power. He subsequently had to repeatedly buy numerous expensive drivetrain components like transmissions, differentials, transfer cases, axles, et al, because the truck wasn’t made to handle that much power. His truck ended up in a junkyard before it was paid for. My 2001 Super Duty is still running strong with a mild tune. Please don’t ruin your truck going too far.
If driving your truck for as long as humanly possible is your goal, then your advice is spot on. For some people, for many people, the enjoyment comes from extracting more from it, going faster, being more efficient and being able to tailor the power delivery to their liking. They don't care about driving a 2001 truck in 2022.

Just saying.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I’m not sure if this has been posted yet, but here is what a piggyback tune does to the power boost.

Sponsored

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
I’m not sure if this has been posted yet, but here is what a piggyback tune does to the power boost.

I looked up TS performance website and it only lists a 2016 F150 ecoboost for its "octane module" That sounds like an old canned 3.5 ecoboost piggyback and not anything custom to the 21+ hybrid setup. Google also brings up zero installed reviews on a powerboost so I would stay away.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I looked up TS performance website and it only lists a 2016 F150 ecoboost for its "octane module" That sounds like an old canned 3.5 ecoboost piggyback and not anything custom to the 21+ hybrid setup. Google also brings up zero installed reviews on a powerboost so I would stay away.
I sent an email to the company. They said it is still in development for the powerboost and would most likely be available within the next couple of months.

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If driving your truck for as long as humanly possible is your goal, then your advice is spot on. For some people, for many people, the enjoyment comes from extracting more from it, going faster, being more efficient and being able to tailor the power delivery to their liking. They don't care about driving a 2001 truck in 2022.

Just saying.
Actually, my goal was to warn others, as to the dangers of extreme horsepower/torque modifications, w/o totally upgrading the whole drive train. You can't live long enough to make all of the mistakes yourself. But to each his own. It is your truck, & your money buying the parts. I will be happy to hear about your experiences. And it is just fine by me, that you are not interested in hearing about mine. Good Luck with your truck!

JerseyGlock

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
Actually, my goal was to warn others, as to the dangers of extreme horsepower/torque modifications, w/o totally upgrading the whole drive train. You can't live long enough to make all of the mistakes yourself. But to each his own. It is your truck, & your money buying the parts. I will be happy to hear about your experiences. And it is just fine by me, that you are not interested in hearing about mine. Good Luck with your truck!
Something can and will snap with high torque. What happened on your end?

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Something can and will snap with high torque. What happened on your end?
Thankfully, the truck belonged to a coworker & not me. He did major upgrades to a 7.3 Powerstroke in a Superduty that blew up just about the whole drive train at 1 time or another. It was fun to watch him, but mighty expensive for him in the long run. We all know a chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link. Upgrade 1 link & the 1 beside it snaps next.
Sponsored