Sponsored

Wild Speculation: Chipping/Tuning the Powerboost Hybrid Engine.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I’ve never understood why people spend a few hundred to several thousand dollars on aftermarket performance engine parts to make a reliable vehicle less reliable especially when a vehicle is under warranty.

Just my opinion and to each his or her own.
Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I thought the catch can wasn't needed on 2018+models, as ford had fixed the issue, was I misinformed in my research?
I think they put a small hole in the intercooler so that it will not fill up with oil and vapors, but any boosted application with an OEM PCV system is going to coat the intercooler, intercooler pipes, and intake tract with a fine mist of oil vapors that decrease the intercooler's efficiency. Catch cans may not be as critical on 2018+ models, but they are still required to maintain maximum efficiency of the intercooler and keep the intake and associated sensors clean.

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
I think they put a small hole in the intercooler so that it will not fill up with oil and vapors, but any boosted application with an OEM PCV system is going to coat the intercooler, intercooler pipes, and intake tract with a fine mist of oil vapors that decrease the intercooler's efficiency. Catch cans may not be as critical on 2018+ models, but they are still required to maintain maximum efficiency of the intercooler and keep the intake and associated sensors clean.
That makes sense, thanks for tip! It's not like its expensive to add them either.

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Internet Admin
I’ve never understood why people spend a few hundred to several thousand dollars on aftermarket performance engine parts to make a reliable vehicle less reliable especially when a vehicle is under warranty.

Just my opinion and to each his or her own.
The problem is that FoMoCo is NOT permitted to build us what we want, but is only allowed to build up what the Federal Govt allows them in light of the "CAFE" requirements.

Thus enthusiasts are always looking for ways to return the vehicle to what it would be if there were NO CAFE requirements to be met...

And many mods will have NO negative impact on longevity nor reliability.
In fact, I would make the argument, that many of them will result in an engine that last LONGER and runs MORE reliably that what the factory is able to offer you.

But like you, this is just "My" humble opinion.
And I am absolutely the ODD MAN OUT here, as I am one of the very few people that only buys 1 new truck every 15-17 years and drives and drives and drives it until it is utterly used up. So I tend to maintain my vehicles to a vastly higher standard than most of my fellow truck owners do as I am in it for the loooong haul, as it were. ;)

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
The problem is that FoMoCo is NOT permitted to build us what we want, but is only allowed to build up what the Federal Govt allows them in light of the "CAFE" requirements.

Thus enthusiasts are always looking for ways to return the vehicle to what it would be if there were NO CAFE requirements to be met...

And many mods will have NO negative impact on longevity nor reliability.
In fact, I would make the argument, that many of them will result in an engine that last LONGER and runs MORE reliably that what the factory is able to offer you.

But like you, this is just "My" humble opinion.
And I am absolutely the ODD MAN OUT here, as I am one of the very few people that only buys 1 new truck every 15-17 years and drives and drives and drives it until it is utterly used up. So I tend to maintain my vehicles to a vastly higher standard than most of my fellow truck owners do as I am in it for the loooong haul, as it were. ;)
plus I have seen the industry pickup and put into production some of these mods.

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
There is no doubt that you are going to see no less than 5 Powerboost trucks at SEMA next year with all types of power adders. In addition, there are going to be numerous videos on Youtube (and likely posted here) of all types of shenanigans. Part of the fun!

Other than leveling, tires, and some accessories, my truck will remain mechanically stock. I'll spend that money on hot rods.

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
There is no doubt that you are going to see no less than 5 Powerboost trucks at SEMA next year with all types of power adders. In addition, there are going to be numerous videos on Youtube (and likely posted here) of all types of shenanigans. Part of the fun!

Other than leveling, tires, and some accessories, my truck will remain mechanically stock. I'll spend that money on hot rods.
Ya, SEMA 2021 should be a TOTAL KICK for us.
This year's "Virtual" show was a bit on the lame side in my opinion.

As for me and my new 2021 F150.
I plan on having some fun upgrading and modifying her... :)

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
I am confident we will see tunes for the PowerBoost in the NEAR future!

Sponsored

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Okay, this is almost certainly in the realm of PURE SPECULATION.

But has anyone heard any thoughts out there on the major tuning companies commenting about their ability to TUNE UP one of the new Hybrid Engines?

I realize that until the trucks are in delivery that none of the tuners is likely to have access to one, but I am currious if any of my fellow enthusiasts have even come across any chatter that any of the tuners have even expressed interest in pursuing this, or if it is even likely possible or not ???
No I have not heard anything. Like Bob, I'm not touching mine either. I'm satisifed with the PowerBoast as is. I also plan on purchasing an Extended Warranty (not @ the delearship). I wouldn't want to void anything. I may add a stop & turn signal bar below the tailgate bit that's about it.

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
No I have not heard anything. Like Bob, I'm not touching mine either. I'm satisifed with the PowerBoast as is. I also plan on purchasing an Extended Warranty (not @ the delearship). I wouldn't want to void anything. I may add a stop & turn signal bar below the tailgate bit that's about it.
Well, being an old Airborne Paratrooper myself, I plan on doing some MODS to this new truck and I am eager to see just what the after market comes up with for her.

Ford F-150 Wild Speculation: Chipping/Tuning the Powerboost Hybrid Engine. 29429[1]

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Well, being an old Airborne Paratrooper myself, I plan on doing some MODS to this new truck and I am eager to see just what the after market comes up with for her.

29429[1].jpg
AIRBORNE

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I was combat medic that ran around putting splints on all you Airborne guys that broke ankles and legs after those jumps! :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored