Sponsored

Wild Speculation: Chipping/Tuning the Powerboost Hybrid Engine.

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Internet Admin
Okay, this is almost certainly in the realm of PURE SPECULATION.

But has anyone heard any thoughts out there on the major tuning companies commenting about their ability to TUNE UP one of the new Hybrid Engines?

I realize that until the trucks are in delivery that none of the tuners is likely to have access to one, but I am currious if any of my fellow enthusiasts have even come across any chatter that any of the tuners have even expressed interest in pursuing this, or if it is even likely possible or not ???
Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Okay, this is almost certainly in the realm of PURE SPECULATION.

But has anyone heard any thoughts out there on the major tuning companies commenting about their ability to TUNE UP one of the new Hybrid Engines?

I realize that until the trucks are in delivery that none of the tuners is likely to have access to one, but I am currious if any of my fellow enthusiasts have even come across any chatter that any of the tuners have even expressed interest in pursuing this, or if it is even likely possible or not ???
Not me. Of course I would not even touch having mine done with a 10 ft pool. Lol

Would not want to void that 8 year 100,000 mile warranty.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
That’s one of the reasons I went with the gas only 3.5 EcoBoost. I wouldn’t be surprised if the PowerBoost is limited to how much you can tune and modify it.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Having driven one, I don't know why anyone would care about not being able to tune it. It is stout right out of the box. Keep the warranty in tact, add dual catch cans to keep oil out of the intercooler and intake tracts, and drive on. 430 HP may not be earth shattering, but 570 lb-ft is plenty. We're all going to need to buy stock in Michelin...

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
Not me. Of course I would not even touch having mine done with a 10 ft pool. Lol

Would not want to void that 8 year 100,000 mile warranty.
This wasn't a question of what impact it would have.
This was about whether or not any of the tuners were planning on ATTEMPTING it or not.
I am currious as to whether there is any chatter out there of even trying to undertake the challenge

Sponsored

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
Having driven one, I don't know why anyone would care about not being able to tune it. It is stout right out of the box. Keep the warranty in tact, add dual catch cans to keep oil out of the intercooler and intake tracts, and drive on. 430 HP may not be earth shattering, but 570 lb-ft is plenty. We're all going to need to buy stock in Michelin...
In time, all of our warranties WILL expire.
its always fun to see what might be waiting down the road.
The stock 3.5 was HIGHLY tuneable.
But the Powerboost Hybrid might be much more of a challenge for the after market companies to take on.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
True. Tuning a PowerBoost may depend on where the software is that controls the electric motor engagement clutch, and how complex that programming is. If that software is in the ECU, the tuning companies will have easy access to it. If it is in the TCU, the tuners may have a harder time cracking the code, and may not have enough financial incentive to do so. I'm not familiar with the current tuning capabilities for the Ford TCUs. I know on my EVO, my twin clutch transmission's TCU is not easily tuned, and there were not that many companies that cared to try to crack it because of the low percent of customers with that transmission that really wanted to tune their car beyond basic bolt-ons. If Ford's planning for the PowerBoost take rate is accurate, with only about 10-15% of F-150 customers selecting that engine, the tuners won't have much financial incentive to put much R&D into the software.

The engine should still be tuneable just like the regular EB, but how a more powerful tuned gas engine integrates with the hybrid system is where the complexity may increase dramatically.

Anything is possible, if a high roller wants a custom tune on their PowerBoost, some company will take their money, and crack the codes. Whether that tune is well integrated with the hybrid system, and makes it into a hand-held tuner as an off the shelf tune remains to be seen.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Somebody will do it no doubt. Maybe at SEMA next year.

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
If Ford's planning for the PowerBoost take rate is accurate, with only about 10-15% of F-150 customers selecting that engine, the tuners won't have much financial incentive to put much R&D into the software.
Do we have any indication if those numbers are going to hold true.
Will so few drivers really opt for the Hybrid??

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
Somebody will do it no doubt. Maybe at SEMA next year.
Totally Agree on that.
This year's "Online" SEMA seems a bit of a mess to me.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If Ford's planning for the PowerBoost take rate is accurate, with only about 10-15% of F-150 customers selecting that engine, the tuners won't have much financial incentive to put much R&D into the software.

If our Gen. 14 community is any indicator, the PowerBoost will be more popular than Ford expected. So far out of our 93 orders, the take rate on the PowerBoost is nearly 40%, far ahead of any other powertrain. The 3.5 EcoBoost is second with about a 30% take rate.

Ford F-150 Wild Speculation: Chipping/Tuning the Powerboost Hybrid Engine. download

Last edited:
OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
If our Gen. 14 community is any indicator, the PowerBoost will be more popular than they expected. So far out of our 93 orders, the take rate on the PowerBoost is nearly 40%, far ahead of any other powertrain. The 3.5 EcoBoost is second with about a 30% take rate.
Given that we are all pretty much hard core Gen14 Enthusiasts, I am not sure our numbers are representative of the great unwashed masses though...

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Given that we are all pretty much hard core Gen14 Enthusiasts, I am not sure our numbers are representative of the great unwashed masses though...
Fair argument, I also thought about that.

ilkhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Escape Limted
Someone will do it. If nothing else Ford themselves will probably offer a tune.

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
I thought the catch can wasn't needed on 2018+models, as ford had fixed the issue, was I misinformed in my research?
Sponsored

Reactions: MXA