First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
So I connected to my wi-fi the first time I drove my new truck into the garage and assumed it was always connecting everytime I pulled into my garage. The router is in the room above it, the Sync screen says the signal strength is excellent.

Today I put my new battery charger/tender on it and decided to hop in to see what the updates say, I noticed the wifi symbol was not present, so I go to the settings and it was not connected to wifi. I clicked connect and it says it failed, after 3 more attempts of me manually pressing connect, it connects.

Is the truck supposed to reconnect on it's own and stay connected while the truck is powered off? It seems that every time I turn my truck on, it is not connected to wi-fi. The more I think about it, I never see the wi-fi symbol on the screen when I get in my truck in the garage.

What should I be expecting here, do I need to turn the truck to accessory while on a battery charger, and then connect to wi-fi hoping for updates?
Sponsored

skiteton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat PB | 2022 Explorer ST
Do you have wireless CarPlay enabled? If you do, the connection between your truck and phone defeats any other external WiFi connection. Disable wireless app projection and you might find your truck once again connects to your home network. This may or may not be the issue but it's something to try.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
It was established in another thread that a) vast majority of OTAs are NOT flagged as "WiFi Required" in PTS (truck's cellular connection used by default) and b) trucks are not downloading OTAs using Wifi, even if available (truck's cellular connection used by default)

Takeaway: Wifi connection is not a prerequisite to receiving OTAs

I've used my TP-Link Tether app to keep an eye on Wifi connections and my truck connects to wifi for maybe 60 seconds every time I come home, drops connection, then does not reconnect for days if left alone

I haven't figured out what purpose the Wifi connection does, but I assume Ford is still trying to figure that out too

It is misleading when every OTA prompt/instructions encourages you to use Wifi for OTAs but the truck isn't using it

EDIT here's the thread mentioned https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/3-5-2-and-3-5-3.13380/page-3#post-286199

And again in this thread https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ota-power-up-3-5-4.13391/post-288772

Last edited:

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Did I miss something @Big Dog Daddy ?
No, Sir
Your comments are spot on! I have to laugh at Ford's inept inability to take advantage of Wi-Fi.

your qoute gave me a chuckle!

"I haven't figured out what purpose the Wifi connection does, but I assume Ford is still trying to figure that out too"

Sponsored

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd
No, Sir
Your comments are spot on! I have to laugh at Ford's inept inability to take advantage of Wi-Fi.

"I haven't figured out what purpose the Wifi connection does, but I assume Ford is still trying to figure that out too"
Ohh gotcha!! Ok cool tried to concisely summarize the last month of following you and @rugedraw and @speedracercjr (y)

OP
OP
Big Cam

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Support Engineer
It was established in another thread that a) vast majority of OTAs are NOT flagged as "WiFi Required" in PTS (truck's cellular connection used by default) and b) trucks are not downloading OTAs using Wifi, even if available (truck's cellular connection used by default)

Takeaway: Wifi connection is not a prerequisite to receiving OTAs

I've used my TP-Link Tether app to keep an eye on Wifi connections and my truck connects to wifi for maybe 60 seconds every time I come home, drops connection, then does not reconnect for days if left alone

I haven't figured out what purpose the Wifi connection does, but I assume Ford is still trying to figure that out too

It is misleading when every OTA prompt/instructions encourages you to use Wifi for OTAs but the truck isn't using it

EDIT here's the thread mentioned https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/3-5-2-and-3-5-3.13380/page-3#post-286199

And again in this thread https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ota-power-up-3-5-4.13391/post-288772
That was super informative and I appreciate your response. Looks like I'll stop worrying about the Wi-Fi.

Thanks!

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
The truck will show up as two devices,

this device is named localhost - has the MAC address of my Sync

Ford F-150 Wi-Fi, when is it connected? screenshot_1293

this device is named mdm9650-tcu

Ford F-150 Wi-Fi, when is it connected? screenshot_1291

For 30 days, not much usage of WiFi.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW

+1.
So much technology that they (supposedly) designed, large part of it either fail or Ford doesn't know how to handle. Ridiculous.

OP
OP
Big Cam

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Support Engineer
Do you have wireless CarPlay enabled? If you do, the connection between your truck and phone defeats any other external WiFi connection. Disable wireless app projection and you might find your truck once again connects to your home network. This may or may not be the issue but it's something to try.
I can't believe I missed this, thank you, I do use wireless android auto, this could explain why my wi-fi never connects, although at this point I am less concerned, I just need to get an AT&T tower installed near my house.

Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
I use wireless CarPlay and Sync does connect to my wifi. But any updates in the past have been download via LTE.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
AT&T used to sell a small cell that you could connect to your internet service (ethernet) and it would use GPS to locate the nearest tower, then extend that tower to your personal cell. (built by Cisco, if I remember correctly)

It was ahead of its time. Lol
I think they dropped it because it leveraged 3G and they didn't develop the same solution for LTE?

It would work well for the folks with Gen14 F150's, but not in a good AT&T cellular spot.

Ford F-150 Wi-Fi, when is it connected? R
Sponsored