Sponsored

Why regular mirrors with Tow Package? Anyone install tow mirrors?

Elkhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Why would they have a tow package but use regular mirrors? Has anyone changed out non tow mirrors to tow mirrors?
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Why would they have a tow package but use regular mirrors? Has anyone changed out non tow mirrors to tow mirrors?
Why? Because alot of trailers don't need big ole tow mirrors. Unless you're dragging an enclosed car trailer or a travel trailer, you really don't need them. In fact, my last 2 trucks have had tow packages without tow mirrors.

OP
OP
Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
What are you towing ?

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I have had tow mirrors on all of my trucks, my SUVs small mirrors are barely usable in traffic. I rarely tow a trailer but sometimes I will have the bed loaded in such a way that I can’t use the rear view mirror and for the same reason, it’s pointless looking over my shoulder to check my blind spot.

That said, the tow mirrors on the 2021 are larger than any of the tow mirrors on my other trucks, even if you don’t include the convex mirrors. If there was a size between the tow mirrors and standard mirrors, I would have chosen those.

I imagine someone will figure out how to swap them out, with all the wired doodads in them though, it definitely makes it more of a challenge than back in the day.

Last edited:

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I imagine someone will figure out how to swap them out, with all the wired doodads in them though, it definitely makes it more of a challenge than back in the day.
I found a truck with everything I wanted except the tow mirrors. I was a bit concerned as a pull a travel trailer, but I noticed the regular mirrors are a nice size and shape (test drove in areas I was used to the view from my old truck’s tow mirrors).

And with all the towing assist features on the ‘21, it should be an easier tow than my ‘02 F-250 was.

They also showed me the pricing for the ”aftermarket“ kit from Ford Parts for a ‘20 F-150 for adding tow mirrors (mirrors, wiring harness, etc). It was priced ~ $1100.00 US. They assured me Ford would be doing the same for the ‘21, but just haven’t published the kit BOM yet.

They sealed the deal by dropping the price on my truck enough to cover adding the tow mirrors later if I decided I didn’t like how the stock mirrors performed.

Sponsored

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
If you tow a full size(96” wide) travel trailer you will not like the regular mirrors. I’ve never found accessory (add-on)mirrors that worked very well.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I found a truck with everything I wanted except the tow mirrors. I was a bit concerned as a pull a travel trailer, but I noticed the regular mirrors are a nice size and shape (test drove in areas I was used to the view from my old truck’s tow mirrors).

And with all the towing assist features on the ‘21, it should be an easier tow than my ‘02 F-250 was.

They also showed me the pricing for the ”aftermarket“ kit from Ford Parts for a ‘20 F-150 for adding tow mirrors (mirrors, wiring harness, etc). It was priced ~ $1100.00 US. They assured me Ford would be doing the same for the ‘21, but just haven’t published the kit BOM yet.

They sealed the deal by dropping the price on my truck enough to cover adding the tow mirrors later if I decided I didn’t like how the stock mirrors performed.
You should be able to find clip on tow mirrors. I used CIPA mirrors on my 2016 F150 King Ranch that had standard mirrors when pulling an enclosed car trailer. They didn't leave marks. Didn't cover any lights. Didn't shake. And looked decent.

Blue Beast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
I got the F-150 tow mirrors, I think it is a $250 add on . They are pretty nice. They extend out about 4 inches. The f150 tow mirrors used to come standard with max tow package. Not in 2021.

Ford F-150 Why regular mirrors with Tow Package? Anyone install tow mirrors? 1613603988242

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
I love my tow mirrors. I tow a travel trailer on occasion.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
That’s one problem with a custom order, you can’t say that it isn’t exactly what you want.

I did a quick search and it looks like there is a few aftermarket tow mirrors that look similar to OEM. if Ford is offering something aftermarket for $1100, it means that you can get it yourself for $600!

Donnelly713

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
as someone with an XLT- non powered tow mirrors- have you found them annoying especially the passenger side?

I love my tow mirrors. I tow a travel trailer on occasion.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Folks without tow mirrors might not realize one interesting fact. It isn’t just that they are bigger and have the extra convex mirror on the bottom. That is a huge advantage. However, the major difference is that they have an extra motor and a switch that allows extending them out an extra couple inches when there is a trailer in tow. This allows seeing “behind” the trailer a bit for close-following traffic. It makes for a VERY wide truck but is a fantastic feature over the standard mirrors. I would not own a pickup without them given a choice.

dbidgedale

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
What about the BLIS system. Will BLIS work ok with regular mirrors while pulling a travel trailer?

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
I use stock mirrors. Trailer is only 7’ wide. Pretty sure the blis automatically turns off when the trailer is detected.
Sponsored