Why no Max Tow on Limited?

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
Just curious as to what the reasoning might be for restricting the Max Trailer Tow package to every trim level aside from Limited?
I can configure an almost identical truck in Platinum with the Full Hybrid system and select Max Tow but alas not on the limited trim.
Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
The Limited comes standard with the Tow Tech Package or Trailer Tow Package (depending on which literature you read from Ford), so Ford may feel that is enough for it's luxury cruiser. More likely, however, Max Towing is not compatible with several wheel and engine configurations, so you can add 22" wheels to that list. I know on the previous Limited models, the wheels were one of the factors in its reduced towing capability. Finally, and this has not been confirmed to be part of the 2021 package, previous Max Trailer packages have had upgraded brakes. 22" wheels and their accompanying brakes systems may not be compatible with the Max Trailer brake upgrade (if it exists). There are Xl, XLT, and Lariat models that are also excluded due to their wheel package.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
At the risk of sounding snarky, which isn't my intent, the Limited is more of a car than a truck. Most of the serious towing and payload options aren't available. However, it's a fine ride.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Yes, if one has the means the Limited is choice! But no Max Tow package probably for a lot of reasons already mentioned. Most likely those 22” wheels that don’t have any alternative.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
The Limited comes standard with the Tow Tech Package or Trailer Tow Package (depending on which literature you read from Ford), so Ford may feel that is enough for it's luxury cruiser. More likely, however, Max Towing is not compatible with several wheel and engine configurations, so you can add 22" wheels to that list. I know on the previous Limited models, the wheels were one of the factors in its reduced towing capability. Finally, and this has not been confirmed to be part of the 2021 package, previous Max Trailer packages have had upgraded brakes. 22" wheels and their accompanying brakes systems may not be compatible with the Max Trailer brake upgrade (if it exists). There are Xl, XLT, and Lariat models that are also excluded due to their wheel package.

Rubicon, just wanted to be sure I’m interpreting it correctly. I think it is confirmed that the Max Tow Package will have larger rear brakes 336mm (13.2”) versus 350mm (13.8”) according to the technical specs.

Hopefully that’s correct. I want those bigger brakes!

Ford F-150 Why no Max Tow on Limited? B215ACB7-7A72-41DE-B55B-2F3D683A5005

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Rubicon, just wanted to be sure I’m interpreting it correctly. I think it is confirmed that the Max Tow Package will have larger rear brakes 336mm (13.2”) versus 350mm (13.8”) according to the technical specs.

Hopefully that’s correct. I want those bigger brakes!

B215ACB7-7A72-41DE-B55B-2F3D683A5005.jpeg
Ever have a bunch of ideas/facts in your head and just puke them out...that was my post. LOL!

Thanks for pointing out the brake upgrade. I have been through the specs and somehow just missed that. Interesing that they don't call it out on the B&P tool.

Your Lincoln buyer is accustomed to a more well-appointed vehicle. Ford has failed twice to market a Lincoln truck, so the Limited bridges that gap and gives Lincoln customers a truck option. If you want some luxury, but also a rough and tumble towing monster, Platinum is your truck. That's my take...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chewza

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
Appreciate the replies guys! Now to determine if I'll actually need the additional towing that the Platinum with Max Tow affords, or if I can live without it on the Limited!
Sponsored