• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Why no Limited trim Lightning?

Kickaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Does anyone know why there will not be a Lightning with the Limited trim level? Just seems strange to have a flagship product without the highest level trim available.
Sponsored

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
By the stuff that is standard on the platinum, it looks like the platinum is the same as an ICE limited.

I dont know what else they would be able to add to create a higher trim as it already has everything.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
If I am not mistaken, Limited and KR were not available the first model year or two of this generation. It simplifies production to have fewer configurations. If there is demand I would imagine more trims and bed/cab configurations to become available after a few years.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Personally, I was expecting the Limited to be the highest trim for the Lighting. I don't mind it only being Platinum. (I've owned both a Platinum and Limited in the past).

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
If I am not mistaken, Limited and KR were not available the first model year or two of this generation. It simplifies production to have fewer configurations. If there is demand I would imagine more trims and bed/cab configurations to become available after a few years.
The current generation arrived earlier this year. It had all trim levels at the time of launch.

I do, however, think Ford wanted to keep things simple for the first year of the Lightning. The only question I have is what impact the new EV tax credit will have (assuming it becomes law). The new credit will not apply to any EV over $80K.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Kickaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Ford has changed the F-150 trim levels on ICE models and now Limited is above platinum. Now, with Limited, there are basically almost no options - it includes everything. You can spec a Platinum to have everything on a Limited. I just like the looks of the Limited better than the Platinum. But I also like King Ranch better than Platinum better too.

I was just curious.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Ford has changed the F-150 trim levels on ICE models and now Limited is above platinum. Now, with Limited, there are basically almost no options - it includes everything. You can spec a Platinum to have everything on a Limited. I just like the looks of the Limited better than the Platinum. But I also like King Ranch better than Platinum better too.

I was just curious.
One minor correction: the Limited seats are different from the Platinum. Both in the covering and in the shape. We actually preferred the Platinum.

Also, I thought there was something about the drive system - no FX4 on Limited (skid plates, drive modes, maybe hill decent, etc).

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Ford is just testing the waters for the electric F-150 Lightning ⚡. If they went full bore with every trim line the gas F-150 has, that would be a huge risk and financial loss if people didn’t pony up and buy them. The three trim tier they have for it debit year is playing it safe. If the Lightning ⚡ sells even a small fraction as good as the real F-150 does I’m certain they will expand the lineup quickly in the coming model years.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
Wish Ford would stay consistent on their trim level placement… Sometimes the Platinum is the highest trim level, other times Limited is. Then there’s King Ranch that’s comparable to either/ both, but with the KR logos and special seat leather and other trim materials. For current generation SUVs - Edge, Explorer, Expedition, Platinum is the highest trim level. For the F-150 it’s the other way with Limited being the top. Not sure on current Super Duty…. My 2016 F-350 is a King Ranch. I seem to remember at the time I ordered it, the Platinum was the highest trim level with Limited and KR just below it. I went KR because I preferred the seats and interior colors, but all the functional options and equipment packages were the same between Ltd, KR and Platinum.

For the Lightning, I think there is XLT, Lariat and Platinum so you have the basics with some nice features or you have the Lariat that allows you to configure what you want or Platinum that has everything. It simplifies things being the first model year and production quantities will be smaller as they ramp up.
Sponsored