Why no HUD?

Ritchie457

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I've seen some cool huds that can put navigation directions on the street (like a big arrow on the road you need to turn on). A fancy one like that would be nice.

They will probably end up on most cars in 5-10 years.
My wife has a HUD in her Prius. It can be impossible to see if wearing polarized sunglasses. So it's not really useful during daylight hours.
Sponsored

UNCGrad

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 AMB Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost 6.5 bed
My wife has a HUD in her Prius. It can be impossible to see if wearing polarized sunglasses. So it's not really useful during daylight hours.
This is also true but I still will miss it since I drive a lot of long distances at night. It's about the only thing I will miss on the 16 Suburban.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I understand that’s largely about bragging rights for payload and especially towing capacity. For example, rear coils are what gives the TRX such a low tow rating.

I was hoping someone would bring this up. The Expedition and the Navigator have had coils or air springs for decades, they have similar payload compared to the fully loaded F-150s. Towing capacity is less, though more than most owners will be taking advantage of.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Also, anyone who really wants a HUD. There’s some aftermarket solutions which take information from the OBD port. They have the added advantage of customizing which information is displayed.

Head Up Displays are basically Victorian era technology. Look up Pepper’s Ghost.

They’ve been on cars since the 80’s and if customers asked for them more, they would likely be more available.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
I was hoping someone would bring this up. The Expedition and the Navigator have had coils or air springs for decades, they have similar payload compared to the fully loaded F-150s. Towing capacity is less, though more than most owners will be taking advantage of.
@Pedaldude - I am pleased that I was able to fulfill your hopes.
The next time you are thinking about setting some sort of trap, for people who are here just trying to be helpful, don’t. I’ve got better things to do with my time. Thanks.

Sponsored

CptBligh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 302A 4x4 3.5
Occupation
Ag
I've had HUDs in a few vehicles. I think they're just a gimmick for the most part. I'd be happier if they got rid of all of the blue lighting in the displays, that's what kills your eyes at night.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
HUDs are proven to increase situational awareness in fighter planes, cars driving around city streets are in a far more dangerous environment and we should all have them as a safety feature.

At the very least, you would think it would be another feature to tout on one of the higher trim levels.

It’s crazy how small the difference is between the base XL and the Platinum and Limited trims!

I was talking to the finance officer about how ridiculous it is that when you pay over $70K for a vehicle that you still get leaf springs and a live axle as your rear suspension. Basically, the exact rear suspension that the very first F-150 had in 1975. No active shocks, no independent rear suspension. Not even coil springs, which are way more comfortable and easily tuned.
Ford can put all the independent suspensions, coils, magna ride in big suv's, not in pickups. I want to be able to safely and comfortably tow stuff when I want. I had an air bag suspension on my Ram. It maintained a level ride height towing but it was easy to get the tail wagging the dog at times. And I know how to tow. I had a Class A CDL and pulled 53' trailers around the country.
Sponsored