Sponsored

Why no HUD?

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
With all of the tech in this truck and so much to monitor, why did Ford not install a basic heads up display? My 18 had the flashing red light on the dash for the driver assistance, then they removed that for the 19. It just seems like a great optional item or something to charge a bit more for on top level trims which is useful. My 2017 Camaro ZL1 had a HUD and I found it to be very useful. It really helped me keep my attention focused out the windshield while sliding sideways.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
With all of the tech in this truck and so much to monitor, why did Ford not install a basic heads up display? My 18 had the flashing red light on the dash for the driver assistance, then they removed that for the 19. It just seems like a great optional item or something to charge a bit more for on top level trims which is useful. My 2017 Camaro ZL1 had a HUD and I found it to be very useful. It really helped me keep my attention focused out the windshield while sliding sideways.
Someone smart at Ford came to the conclusion it was not necessary or worth it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
My thoughts are when you look at everything going on in the cluster and center stack, it would be nice, especially at night to just focus on a small HUD. Just my two cents.

Ford F-150 Why no HUD? 20210216093153-139bb92b-me

Don't get me wrong, I love all the tech and displays, but there's a lot for our eyes to take in, especially when trying to monitor everything being reported at night.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
HUDs are proven to increase situational awareness in fighter planes, cars driving around city streets are in a far more dangerous environment and we should all have them as a safety feature.

At the very least, you would think it would be another feature to tout on one of the higher trim levels.

It’s crazy how small the difference is between the base XL and the Platinum and Limited trims!

I was talking to the finance officer about how ridiculous it is that when you pay over $70K for a vehicle that you still get leaf springs and a live axle as your rear suspension. Basically, the exact rear suspension that the very first F-150 had in 1975. No active shocks, no independent rear suspension. Not even coil springs, which are way more comfortable and easily tuned.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
I totally agree that a HUD should be expected in vehicles north of 70 grand . Had one in my old Pontic GTP and really liked it. It even allowed for a stealth mode where all inside dash lighting could be turned off with only the HUD on at night

brnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat
My thoughts are when you look at everything going on in the cluster and center stack, it would be nice, especially at night to just focus on a small HUD. Just my two cents.

20210216093153-139bb92b-me.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I love all the tech and displays, but there's a lot for our eyes to take in, especially when trying to monitor everything being reported at night.
I love the rolling photo ?

Sponsored

Dodgehemi0

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram
Occupation
Military
I never thought a HUD was worth it, then my wife’s 2020 Sonata had one and I love it.
Ram, Chevy and GMC all have it, but they don’t have the lane centering, but the Ford does.
I also like the rear view mirror as a camera instead of a traditional one. Ram, Chevy and GMC all have one of those also.
Ford had to leave something for the 2022 model year, watch the 2022 will have those options.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
HUDs are proven to increase situational awareness in fighter planes, cars driving around city streets are in a far more dangerous environment and we should all have them as a safety feature.

At the very least, you would think it would be another feature to tout on one of the higher trim levels.

It’s crazy how small the difference is between the base XL and the Platinum and Limited trims!

I was talking to the finance officer about how ridiculous it is that when you pay over $70K for a vehicle that you still get leaf springs and a live axle as your rear suspension. Basically, the exact rear suspension that the very first F-150 had in 1975. No active shocks, no independent rear suspension. Not even coil springs, which are way more comfortable and easily tuned.
I understand that’s largely about bragging rights for payload and especially towing capacity. For example, rear coils are what gives the TRX such a low tow rating.

UNCGrad

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 AMB Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost 6.5 bed
My current car that I will be trading in has it and I am going to miss it. I use it a lot for navigation so you don't have to look at the center screen or your phone. it is also nice having the digital speed number right in my sight line since I can be quite the leadfoot. Keeps me a little bit in check. ;)

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
I've seen some cool huds that can put navigation directions on the street (like a big arrow on the road you need to turn on). A fancy one like that would be nice.

They will probably end up on most cars in 5-10 years.
Sponsored