Sponsored

Why is there a bracket interfering with oil drain?

66F100Again

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'66 F100, '11 Mustang GT, '21 F150 Lariat
Changed the oil and filter today at 1000 miles.
In the area of the oil pan drain, there's a sheet-metal bracket bolted to the cross member which supports the rear of the air deflector / engine noise sound-deadener panel. I ASSUMED the bracket was designed so that oil draining from the pan would not hit it.
WRONG.
Initially, the oil did clear the bracket as it drained, but half way through, as the stream slowed down, it started hitting the bracket and wormed its way into and around the bracket, filling between the bracket and the cross member and dripping out at one end (see the left side of the photo below...while oil drain is on the right side of photo).
Has anyone found a way to avoid this?
And by the way, does anyone know what those unused "spring-nut" brackets are for?
Ford F-150 Why is there a bracket interfering with oil drain? IMG_0289.JPG
Sponsored

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
At least on my 3.5L eco boost, those spring-nuts are used to hold up the 'fiber' windage tray. Yours seems to be missing, unless it is not installed on 5.0L.

Also I would guess that the bracket issue, is due to the truck primarily being designed toward the 3.5L, 3.5L hybrid. As mine does not have any issues when draining the oil.

Next oil change you may want to drive it up onto some 2x6's or something to raise the front ~3" that may help oil stay more rearward, and just miss that bracket.

OP
OP
66F100Again

66F100Again

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'66 F100, '11 Mustang GT, '21 F150 Lariat
At least on my 3.5L eco boost, those spring-nuts are used to hold up the 'fiber' windage tray. Yours seems to be missing, unless it is not installed on 5.0L.

Also I would guess that the bracket issue, is due to the truck primarily being designed toward the 3.5L, 3.5L hybrid. As mine does not have any issues when draining the oil.

Next oil change you may want to drive it up onto some 2x6's or something to raise the front ~3" that may help oil stay more rearward, and just miss that bracket.
I'll ask the dealer about that bracket. If the rear-facing "flaps" are pointless, I'll put my angle grinder to use.

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I had the same issue when I changed the oil on my 5.0L. Next time I think I'll cover the cross member in aluminum foil so oil can't get between the layers of steel in the frame and use a form-a- funnel to try and direct all the oil into the catch pan.

Sponsored

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
Changed the oil and filter today at 1000 miles.
In the area of the oil pan drain, there's a sheet-metal bracket bolted to the cross member which supports the rear of the air deflector / engine noise sound-deadener panel. I ASSUMED the bracket was designed so that oil draining from the pan would not hit it.
WRONG.
Initially, the oil did clear the bracket as it drained, but half way through, as the stream slowed down, it started hitting the bracket and wormed its way into and around the bracket, filling between the bracket and the cross member and dripping out at one end (see the left side of the photo below...while oil drain is on the right side of photo).
Has anyone found a way to avoid this?
And by the way, does anyone know what those unused "spring-nut" brackets are for?
IMG_0289.JPG
With all of that oil on the bracket at least it won't rust!

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
I took those 2 clips off, since they're not even used. Heard them rattle when shutting the door.

TeamCanada

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
I just took mine into dealership for 1st oil change. I asked them about the draining usually getting all over the crossmember.
He said they have a trick for that and I watched the guy below the truck use a 4 inch plastic pipe, cut lengthwise to create a channel for the oil to drain. Didn't get a drop of anything underneath.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
Either the plastic pipe fix or just a piece of cardboard folded into a V to get the oil past the metal. Then toss the cardboard.

Sponsored

AdamC

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 Whippled
17 bucks? Small pcv pipe cheaper than that at your local hardware store.
It’s two for $17…and they can be used for other things
Sponsored