Sponsored

Why is Ford cutting the OEM wheel well liners.

sempifi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost FX4
Occupation
IT
So, I ordered a pair of wheel well liners from ford when I got my 2021 F-150 two years back. I had the shocks upgraded to Bilstein a couple months back but the rear ones were upside down. When I went to switch them I noticed the rear wheel well liner on the passenger side had a cutout to access a wrench around the rear of the shock.

I did not remember that from the install when I added them so I looked up some pictures online from the parts store. It was not there, the line was straight. I assumed the tech had cut an access hole when the shocks were installed so I took this back to the shop and the shop manager assumed the same, apologized and ordered a replacement pair of wheel well liners for me. When the replacements came in, they had the same hole cut in them, just done poorly with a different pattern.

I then did some online searching and saw that many people had similar holes in theirs while some did not. All were passenger side rear wheel well liners. I only assume that there must be two factories producing these. One that cuts and one that does not...

Can I get an assortment of rear wheel well liner pictures, passenger side to see what yours looks like.

Circled in blue is the part that is cut out on mine.

Ford F-150 Why is Ford cutting the OEM wheel well liners. Missing Part

Here is a picture of the old and new one side-by-side:

Ford F-150 Why is Ford cutting the OEM wheel well liners. IMG_2095

My internet is cellular and being super slow, I think there is a cell outage nearby. I have a couple more pictures to upload but need to sort that out first. I'll have them uploaded later tonight.

Edit: Just adding in one more photo here:

Ford F-150 Why is Ford cutting the OEM wheel well liners. IMG_2151

Circled in red is the seam the cut portion of the wheel well should be protecting.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
sempifi99

sempifi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Here are two pictures I found online where one wheel well liner was cut and one was not.

Ford F-150 Why is Ford cutting the OEM wheel well liners. IMG_2107
Ford F-150 Why is Ford cutting the OEM wheel well liners. IMG_2098

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
My syndical side says the tech cut the liner to get a tool onto the shock bolt.

stlgrym3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB Lariat
is it worth it to get the wheel lining? i would think so for protection. what do you guys think?

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
My guess is that the part may have been revised over time. I recently installed Bilstein 5160's on my truck and decided to trim the Husky rear liners after struggling to install the shocks without trimming them.

Ford F-150 Why is Ford cutting the OEM wheel well liners. 20230526_180613

Ford F-150 Why is Ford cutting the OEM wheel well liners. 20230526_180627

Sponsored

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
is it worth it to get the wheel lining? i would think so for protection. what do you guys think?
Absolutely. Protects, plus hides all the ugly frame, etc :)

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I added rears, but just out of habit. The wheel wells are now fully enclosed and, or course, made from aluminum.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
100%. But if you haven't already purchased the Ford liners, buy the Husky liners instead. Dead simple to install (and thus remove if necessary), and they are "taller" so frame coverage is better than the Ford liners. Should be about $100 for the pair, and maybe 10 mins to install them.

Sponsored

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Sorry for my ignorance, but shouldn't you remove the liners first in order to work/install the replacement shocks?
I’m confident my dealer did this with my Huskies when they installed my Ford Performance leveling kit, took me 15 minutes to install them I think, probably takes an experienced tech 5 minutes to get them out and less time to get them back in…

stlgrym3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB Lariat
why does Ford only sell the rear wheel liner and not the front? is rear liner more important than front?

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
why does Ford only sell the rear wheel liner and not the front? is rear liner more important than front?
Front liners are standard.

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
Sorry for my ignorance, but shouldn't you remove the liners first in order to work/install the replacement shocks?
I certainly could have as there's not much to them. However, I always break those stupid plastic tree clips, so I decided just to trim them a bit instead.

OP
OP
sempifi99

sempifi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
My syndical side says the tech cut the liner to get a tool onto the shock bolt.
That is what I was thinking too and maybe he would have cut the new one also. But how would one explain the online videos of them which are cut, all with more or less the same pattern.
Sponsored