First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Hey gents, I finally got around to writing a blog post on why I switched from Toyota (the Tacoma platform) to the F150. I've been a life-long Toyota guy, so I felt it was important to let my followers and fellow adventurers know why I made the switch (I'm a professional photographer by trade). Enjoy!

https://dylanhbrown.com/why-the-ford-f150-is-better-than-a-tacoma/
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
While I don't weigh appearances much when deciding on a truck, the Gundam Wing anime styling of some of the newer vehicles is really off putting in addition to likely making repair costs more expensive.

I actually like that Toyota is using old proven engines, unfortunately, they really hamstrung the Tacoma with the minivan derived Atkins cycle 3.5. Build quality isn't what it used to be either. The 4Runner has the good engine still and superior build quality.

My #1 reason not getting a Tundra or Tacoma, despite recommending Toyota vehicles to other people, is that neither are available in regular cab configuration anymore.

The other crazy thing is how expensive the new Tacomas are, despite being inferior in nearly every way.

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
While I don't weigh appearances much when deciding on a truck, the Gundam Wing anime styling of some of the newer vehicles is really off putting in addition to likely making repair costs more expensive.

I actually like that Toyota is using old proven engines, unfortunately, they really hamstrung the Tacoma with the minivan derived Atkins cycle 3.5. Build quality isn't what it used to be either. The 4Runner has the good engine still and superior build quality.
Toyota’s will and always be bulletproof Lol.
My #1 reason not getting a Tundra or Tacoma, despite recommending Toyota vehicles to other people, is that neither are available in regular cab configuration anymore.

The other crazy thing is how expensive the new Tacomas are, despite being inferior in nearly every way.
Toyota’s will and always be bulletproof..

Last edited:

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster, 2022 F150 Platty
I currently own (2) Toyota vehicles (not their trucks) and they are rock solid, I couldn't be happier with the products. I heavily considered the new Tundra for my next vehicle but just can't get past how awful it looks. Many reviews I've studied say how much of a leap forward the Tundra is for Toyota, but frankly it falls just short of being equal to anything from "the big 3". I'm sure the Tundra will be quite reliable and a good value but I just couldn't go there, sorry Toyota...

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
The lack of a ProPower equivalent made it a non starter for me. And the fact that you lose cab space to the hybrid battery. And that there's a hump in the floor.

Why? Why do this on a new platform?

Sponsored

skwrtle

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Nice article! I'm a hobbyist photographer, not up to your level but I enjoy it.. wish I had the scenery you have hahah

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
Nice article man, thanks for sharing. Looks like it's working out great for you. Im surprised the generator wasn't a bigger selling point for you...not real plans on using it besides batteries and the bike?

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
How can you even compare the two? If it was F-150 vs Tunda, similar size, that's one thing. The Tacoma is significantly smaller than the F-150.

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Nice article man, thanks for sharing. Looks like it's working out great for you. Im surprised the generator wasn't a bigger selling point for you...not real plans on using it besides batteries and the bike?
The battery was a huge selling point for me. Just not the hybrid. I drove it, REALLY wanted to like it, but I felt the switch from electric to gas was clunky. I knew it was probably just a software issue, but still I left the dealership (twice) not 100%. Maybe someone drove it like an asshole a few times and the transmission had created some bad habits – IDK. Either way, the 2kw battery is perfectly big enough for me – plus, I'm building my own high output pack that's now mobile.

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
How can you even compare the two? If it was F-150 vs Tunda, similar size, that's one thing. The Tacoma is significantly smaller than the F-150.
Well, that's the jump I made – and I think the majority of people who use Tacomas, never even consider an F150 or Tundra (for a myriad of reasons, but size being no 1). Which I think is funny considering how many DCLB you see driving around.

What I didn't include in my blog was that I was initially going to buy a used 2016 F150 pre-covid, but ended up buying a 2019 Tundra TRD Pro instead. I ended up HATING the TRD Pro, and sold it after 6 months – primarily because it was quite possibly the most uncomfortable rig I've ever driven. If you're going to a full size (1/2 ton), it should be comfortable. Afterall, that's where I've seen some of the biggest differences: long stretches of highway.

Sponsored

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat
Nice write up. Why were you going 70mph in "hole in the wall" road?

Is the 30s video from Hancock Pass?

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Nice write up. Why were you going 70mph in "hole in the wall" road?

Is the 30s video from Hancock Pass?
I go 70 to stay on top of the washboards (obviously not 70mph continuous – more like 55/60), but as a point, it handles fine at those speeds.

Yes, the video is from Hancock pass.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Toyota’s will and always be bulletproof..
Ive read and heard some of the new 2022 Tundra is having turbo issues. Buddy works at a dealership, but have seen some videos as well. Hope its an easy fix.

Twg1

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 F150 Screw, 2019 Camaro ZLE
Occupation
Engineer
I just had this exact conversation with a car friend. Toyota is guilty of resting upon their reputation, and is at least a full generation behind comparable domestic brands in tech, power and capability. (Same story for Volvo and safety, or Glock and reliability).

We even went from an 09 Dodge minivan to a 15 Sienna, both fully loaded, and the Sienna was a much worse ergonomic van than the Dodge (however, to give credit: it never broke down, whereas the Dodge...did...often).

Lets just hope that Ford invests more in their tech reliability as the electrical gremlins seem to be their current undoing (Explorer back up cameras, current Gen F150 Towing Brake controller or dash screen issues...)
Sponsored