First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Veteran
A lot of people take some time getting used to driving hybrids and EVs. I was always a bit put off by a newer Civic I used to drive every once in a while that would freewheel instead of engine braking below a certain speed and every time, it felt like the brakes gave out.

One thing that I always need to remind myself and others test driving a new car is that their old cars would feel just as good as the old car if they rebuilt the suspension, something that isn't too expensive if you can do the work yourself and even if you pay a shop to do the work relatively cheap compared with buying a new car or getting into an accident because your shocks are bad and it takes 20 extra feet to stop your car.

I'm not that impressed with the technology Ford is putting in their trucks, the adaptive cruise is not smooth at all compared with the similar system that Acura has which is super smooth and nearly the same as if I were manipulating the throttle. My truck brakes too hard for vehicles slowing down and wants to maintain the set distance too rigidly, the lane centering is impressive but you have to yank the wheel over to one side or else the put hands on wheel warning constantly sounds and I am not comfortable with actively steering away from my desired path to keep the lane centering centered in the lane.

Just today my center screen went blank, pretty much making all the extra options unusable. I think that if I were to order a truck all over again, I would get the base XL or an F250 with the 6.2.

Hopefully you will enjoy your next vehicle more, good luck and thanks for sharing your experience!
Just wondering about your screen - do you have something plugged into the USB port in the console? Even if it's just a cable not charging anything? If so, unplug it when the truck is turned off. I'll bet your screen will come back on at that point. Not sure what this has to do with the screen but it worked on my new King Ranch and also my wife's Lincoln Aviator.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Just wondering about your screen...
Nothing was plugged in and nothing has ever been plugged into the USB other than once when I first got the truck over six months ago.

The issue went away when I restarted the truck the next day. If I were to speculate on why the screen went blank, it could have been low voltage from the starting battery. The truck was delivered with a weak battery and I hadn't driven it for over a week, so the battery was probably below 10 volts when I cranked it over when leaving for home from running errands. I have seen multimedia screens/systems malfunction before because of low voltage.

I looked up how to reboot sync, so I will try that if it happens again, I keep a plug in voltage meter in the truck, since they don't bother including one on the information screen, which is a little bit annoying.

Thanks for the tip! When I get some extra time, I will try and load a USB stick with music and then that's just an extra variable when experiencing gremlins.

OP
OP

Azizo

First Name
Abdulaziz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Limited Star White
I own a 2021 f150 with the 5.0 and the engine is great but the transmission is garbage. Sometimes when it downshifts it makes a loud clunk. Other times when upshifting it’s all over the place. Mine has very glitchy electronics. I get intermittent front camera failure and some strange fault light. But the computer never records the error and it goes away when you restart the truck. All in all it’s a nice truck but definitely seems rushed. When I bought it the tailgate was on crooked, the rear view mirror was loose, the sunroof expanding according thing was not attached on one side. The rear seat was not connected. Just a bunch of little things.
You said it perfectly- rushed production with very little testing, which is unlike Ford

OP
OP

Azizo

First Name
Abdulaziz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Limited Star White
I have a 2021 3.7 Limited as well and the transmission is driving me nuts! When in two wheel drive modes turning right from a stop the transmission will sometimes not engage from 2nd to 3rd gear. The RPM's can get up to 4,000 with no forward propulsion whatsoever. It is very dangerous to be honest.

Someone please tell me this isn't normal.
It is not my fellow forum friend..

Sponsored

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
Also i know this isn’t a solution, but when i only use eco and normal the Trans will never clunk. Once I use sport or tow for a drive, then going back to eco and normal it will make some wild clunks for a while until it settles out.

so I wonder if those that have harsh shifting use sport frequently.

Wookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Platinum Powerboost
Like others my truck and a rough 1-3 shift, rough doesn’t do it justice really…it’s a jolt. I’ve clocked 11,000 on it since March and it seems to have gotten worse over time. I drive nearly all in eco.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I came from a 2017 EB with zero problems and got my '21 PB and the driving and braking feels very much the same to me. With the exception that the PB is "punchier" off the block. I physically cannot tell the transition or difference in braking from regen to pure friction. I only know due to usually have the EV coach screen in my cluster.

That being said, I *do* believe the reports of clunkiness, and I don't think every truck comes off the line perfect. There's just no way there is that much naivete in those of us without complaints that we're just not noticing them. Also I don't think those complaining are being overly sensitive, I think they got a poorer build.

I have not had a "clunky" experience ever during take-off (not even the 1->3rd discontinuity), but I have experienced a "jolt" on braking exactly THREE times. It definitely was NOT normal and if this happened often to those that are complaining I absolutely would be pissed. My first time I was towing and I figured ok, that was a weird jolt, but I figured it was trying to do some kind of clever downshift and screwed up. It was probably another 3 months before I felt a braking "jolt" again, this time not towing, and the wife was with me and was like "wtf did you do that for?" and I most certainly didn't do anything except normal braking. Then maybe 1 month later it happened again by myself. If I could figure out why or if it was reproduceable I would have the shop investigate but at this point it is still 99.9% problem free. Hopefully over time it doesn't start to become regular like the OP has reported!

Buddy

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Veteran
Nothing was plugged in and nothing has ever been plugged into the USB other than once when I first got the truck over six months ago.

The issue went away when I restarted the truck the next day. If I were to speculate on why the screen went blank, it could have been low voltage from the starting battery. The truck was delivered with a weak battery and I hadn't driven it for over a week, so the battery was probably below 10 volts when I cranked it over when leaving for home from running errands. I have seen multimedia screens/systems malfunction before because of low voltage.

I looked up how to reboot sync, so I will try that if it happens again, I keep a plug in voltage meter in the truck, since they don't bother including one on the information screen, which is a little bit annoying.

Thanks for the tip! When I get some extra time, I will try and load a USB stick with music and then that's just an extra variable when experiencing gremlins.
Mine wasn't low battery that caused the screen to go blank. I had just driven the truck a few mines and everything was fine. It was when I cranked it about 30 minutes later is when the screen went dark. I had a charging cord plugged in for several weeks but wasn't charging anything. My wife's Lincoln did exactly the same thing. After unplugging, it's worked fine since.

MikeG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
I haven't experienced any rough transmission issues on my PB. It was built in June, I am curious if all these issues are related to earlier built trucks and they worked the kinks out later on in the production year? Just some food for thought.