Sponsored

Who's using premium gas and who's using basic gas?

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Still burning through my first tankful that the dealer put in it. I’m sure it’s 87 octane.

I intend to use 93 octane on my next fill up to see how the mileage and performance differs. Mileage has been borderline atrocious so far, but I’ve been doing a lot of idling and giving into the urge of “opening it up” on more than a few occasions. On the flip side, performance is in-freaking-credible!

As long as I can afford it thereafter, I’ll run 93 in my truck as consistently as possible. I just like the extra power, and I’ve always thought it burns a bit cleaner. I’ve got the 3.5L EcoBoost for reference.

OP
OP

spectre446

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Still burning through my first tankful that the dealer put in it. I’m sure it’s 87 octane.

I intend to use 93 octane on my next fill up to see how the mileage and performance differs. Mileage has been borderline atrocious so far, but I’ve been doing a lot of idling and giving into the urge of “opening it up” on more than a few occasions. On the flip side, performance is in-freaking-credible!

As long as I can afford it thereafter, I’ll run 93 in my truck as consistently as possible. I just like the extra power, and I’ve always thought it burns a bit cleaner. I’ve got the 3.5L EcoBoost for reference.
I'm assuming the EPA numbers are with premium gas anyway. What mpg are you getting at highway speeds?

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I'm assuming the EPA numbers are with premium gas anyway. What mpg are you getting at highway speeds?

I'm REALLY trying to avoid taking it on the highway until I can get my paint protective film applied. I've taken it on two short stints (less that three or so miles) on the highway, and most of those few miles were ummmm.... ahem...... maximum velocity examinations.........

Last edited:

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
I have about 3500 miles on my 3.5 EB and most of it has been 87 octane. But, a few weeks ago was filling up at Costco and we had a day trip planned for the next day so I filled with 93. I got about 1.5 mpg (20 mpg for the tank) better on that tank so I filled the next tank with 93 as well for my regular mixed driving. Same thing, about 1.5 mpg better. last tank I filled up with 87 and so far has been back down to about 17-18 but lots of short trips on this one. It’s impossible to really do a side by side comparison on MPG but it does seem to get about 8-10% better mpg with the 93. Around her the 93 is more than 10% increase from 87 so not really more economical. But, with 93 in sport mode it does seem to have a little more punch.

Sponsored

OP
OP

spectre446

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I have about 3500 miles on my 3.5 EB and most of it has been 87 octane. But, a few weeks ago was filling up at Costco and we had a day trip planned for the next day so I filled with 93. I got about 1.5 mpg (20 mpg for the tank) better on that tank so I filled the next tank with 93 as well for my regular mixed driving. Same thing, about 1.5 mpg better. last tank I filled up with 87 and so far has been back down to about 17-18 but lots of short trips on this one. It’s impossible to really do a side by side comparison on MPG but it does seem to get about 8-10% better mpg with the 93. Around her the 93 is more than 10% increase from 87 so not really more economical. But, with 93 in sport mode it does seem to have a little more punch.
Good to know. I'm assuming the 93 is better for the longevity of the engine too so there's that to consider as well

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost

The trucks computer takes a while to start to get the benifits from 93. I’ve heard a couple tank fills before it starts adapting to it according to other threads with this same topic.

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
87 octane for me. On a 544 mile trip recently I got 25.04mpg (hand calculated) from my 5.0 4x2 Platinum. Mostly interstate at 70mph, with some 65, and a small bit of stop and go. Premium might get me another mpg, but that won't offset the cost difference. I do not have a heavy foot, and Ford says it is designed to run on 87. That is good enough for me.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
I have not bruned through a full tank of gas yet. When I do fill up, I'm going with the 93 to see how it does.

CommoSGT

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat SCrew, 2021 F150 Lariat SCrew
Occupation
Engineer
Isn't E85 like 107 octane compared to 87? If so, you could run it on the E85 and sub out a tank of 93 occasionally. Right??

Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I’m gonna have to give it a try and see if it makes a difference in mileage because I burned the quarter tank it came with and filled it with regular and the mileage is pretty bad.

I had a 2018 xlt with the 3.3 v6. When it was brand new and I filled it up it said 1200-1300kms to empty but it would really only get a little over 1000.

After two years the fill up would say about 1000 to empty but would only go for a bit over 800.

When I filled my new 2021 xlt that has the 2.7 EcoBoost it said around 900kms to empty. That doesn’t really feel good for me. So I’ll experiment with the expensive gas.

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
Do you know if the 93 had the same % of ethanol as the 83 or was it possibly a higher % of gas?

canes1

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 5.0
Occupation
AIRCRAFT MECHANIC
A buddy at work, suggested mid grade all the time.
He has a friend who delivers fuel who said If hes got a tanker of premium and can't pump it all into the in ground tank, they pump the rest into the midgrade tank....always go back with an empty truck.
So, mid grade here, with every 4th fill up, premium.

imgone10

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 FJ Cruiser, 15 TRD Pro 4Runner, 2021 Lariat.
Occupation
Construction / US Army 84-96
Just under 5K miles been using 87. I have always used 87 on my vehicles I just can't get myself to pay the higher prices. I have had zero problems, and my last two vehicles where both had high miles when I got rid of them. I drive at least 315 miles a week to and from work, not counting weekend work and when I get called in at night.
Sponsored