Sponsored

Who's using premium gas and who's using basic gas?

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A buddy at work, suggested mid grade all the time.
He has a friend who delivers fuel who said If hes got a tanker of premium and can't pump it all into the in ground tank, they pump the rest into the midgrade tank....always go back with an empty truck.
So, mid grade here, with every 4th fill up, premium.
I dont think stations have a mid grade tank. They blend the gas from regular and premium tanks.
Sponsored

TNKIRK

First Name
TERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FORD F150 LARIAT SUPERCAB
Occupation
R V SALES
Here in Colorado.......They only have low..85 octane...........or............91 octane..........

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ
Occupation
Ford service manager
Since I got an eco boost engine, I use premium.If I had gotten the 5.0 I’d use regular.

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
Car and Driver did a 4 vehicle test, testing how different octane affected different engines.

I did an article on it, here's a link to the section that summarizes it.

They put 93 in the F150 3.5 Eco. 87 octane did 17.0 mpg. 93 did 17.6. It was .5 seconds or so faster 0 to 60, and 1/4 mile.

But the MPG gain was too small to make premium gas price worth it.

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ford service manager
Car and Driver did a 4 vehicle test, testing how different octane affected different engines.

I did an article on it, here's a link to the section that summarizes it.

They put 93 in the F150 3.5 Eco. 87 octane did 17.0 mpg. 93 did 17.6. It was .5 seconds or so faster 0 to 60, and 1/4 mile.

But the MPG gain was too small to make premium gas price worth it.
I don’t use premium for the horsepower or mileage. I use it because a Ford engineer that I respect preaches that it burns cleaner and doesn’t coke up the intake with carbon as fast.
He also claims it less wear on the timing chain components due to less timing adjustments.

Sponsored

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don’t use premium for the horsepower or mileage. I use it because a Ford engineer that I respect preaches that it burns cleaner and doesn’t coke up the intake with carbon as fast.
He also claims it less wear on the timing chain components due to less timing adjustments.
For the sake of argument only, well, more of discussion more than argument, because I don't disagree with your or him... it does result in less carbon...

But for the sake of discussion: have you ever used cleaners, like Seafoam, and similar?

Seafoam for instance can be used to clean carbon in different ways, as a fuel additive, aerosol spray to throttle, take water out of fuel, etc...

I have used Seafoam to clean built up carbon in engines... and even on heavy build ups, it's cleans the hell out of that carbon, and I mean clean like is gone.

What if one did a 10 dollar can of a seafoam type once every 15,000 miles... versus $15.00 extra every 500 miles in that time frame...

15x30 = $450....

And maybe save $440.00

Just a thought for discussions sake.

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For the sake of argument only, well, more of discussion more than argument, because I don't disagree with your or him... it does result in less carbon...

But for the sake of discussion: have you ever used cleaners, like Seafoam, and similar?

Seafood for instance can be used to clean carbon in different ways, as a fuel additive, aerosol spray to throttle, take water out of fuel, etc...

I have used Seafoam to clean built up carbon in engines... and even on heavy build ups, it's cleans the hell out of that carbon, and I mean clean like is gone.

What if one did a 10 dollar can of a seafoam type once every 15,000 miles... versus $15.00 extra every 500 miles in that time frame...

15x30 = $450....

And maybe save $440.00

I guess it's like paying for a maid every 4 days to keep something clean, versus paying the maid once to come when it is actually dirty.

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess it's like paying for a maid every 4 days to keep something clean, versus paying the maid once to come when it is actually dirty.
In 60,000 miles, after an actual amount of carbon could have actually built up, you could in theory save $1800 in fuel costs.

Buy a can of seafoam and clean your intakes.

Have $1,790 left over, and go get some new wheels and tires with it.

Or maybe a ceramic coating.

Or... about 900 soft tacos from the Bell.

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ford service manager

Seafoam for instance can be used to clean carbon in different ways, as a fuel additive, aerosol spray to throttle, take water out of fuel, etc...

15x30 = $450....

And maybe save $440.00

I have used sea foam in powersports and older cars.
If you pour it in the tank of a vehicle with direct injection, it won’t do anything about the carbon in the intake and valves.
Relying only on my gut feeling and nothing scientific, I don’t trust spraying/pouring sea foam into the intake side before or after the turbochargers.
If I wanted to de-carbon, I would use this stuff:
https://wynnsusa.com/products/fuel/turbo-cleaner/

I’ve seen the before and after borescope footage and it’s legit.

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have used sea foam in powersports and older cars.
If you pour it in the tank of a vehicle with direct injection, it won’t do anything about the carbon in the intake and valves.
Relying only on my gut feeling and nothing scientific, I don’t trust spraying/pouring sea foam into the intake side before or after the turbochargers.
If I wanted to de-carbon, I would use this stuff:
https://wynnsusa.com/products/fuel/turbo-cleaner/

I’ve seen the before and after borescope footage and it’s legit.
I'm with you, I am not getting paid by Seafoam LOL. It's just the one I have used.

I haven't done a turbo with it though.

But I am positive there are much cheaper alternatives than the cost of constant premium gas.

Just my two cents... or possibly more than 2 cents. Maybe $1800 worth of opinion.

Sponsored

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
Here in Colorado.......They only have low..85 octane...........or............91 octane..........
Most of the gas stations I go to 87 is mid-grade. I just put in premium at Costco though because they typically charge the same for 91 as other places sell 87 for.

TNKIRK

First Name
TERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FORD F150 LARIAT SUPERCAB
Occupation
R V SALES
Premium............................$3.69 here in Colorado

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I noticed on my recently generated window sticker that the driving range with the 5.0 is 742 miles with gasoline, compared to 519 miles with ethanol. I thought that was interesting.
Given that ethanol has less energy than gasoline, this isn't at all a surprise. The higher the percentage of alcohol, the more you will burn.
Sponsored