• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Who's an Electric F-150 shopper?

Degrominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 King Ranch
I am looking forward to buying the 1st full-size electric truck to hit the market! Rivian is a small truck, Hummer is a Hummer with a small deck, Cybertruck is a doorstop. That leaves me with Ford or Atlis!
I've also been keeping an eye on Lordstown. What's everyone's take on them?

The big hurdle for startup companies like Rivian, Atlis, Lordstown, etc. is the lack of a dealer network for servicing/repairs. That's one mega built in advantage the electric F-150 will have going for it over all those other EV pickups.
Sponsored

RR89

First Name
Poindexter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150
All the other companies need to figure out how to build an entire car. Ford just needs to figure out a drivetrain, the "car" is already figured out.

OP
OP
BOB L

BOB L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Mustang GT, 2015 Wrangler
All the other companies need to figure out how to build an entire car. Ford just needs to figure out a drivetrain, the "car" is already figured out.
And as a $500M investor in Rivian, Ford has access to their EV truck technology and know-how when it comes to drivetrain. It should be very far along since their R1T pickup was due out by end of this year.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Electric is definitely interesting but the IRS interest me even mor.

star reno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 Lariat
Looking forward to trading in my 2020 Raptor for an all electric F-150. I love the Raptor (it's my second one) but I have wanted an electric pickup truck (Ford preferably) for years. And I'm glad to see that it's finally past the pipe dream stage. I've told my salesman to let me know when the order can be submitted. I'll be all over it (and hopefully it'll be in Velocity or Electric Blue).

S.
I'm looking at a 2020 Raptor and also interested in the future EV F-150 too so I'm very interested in hearing why you've decided to trade it in when the electric model drops. What advantages/disadvantages do you see?

Sponsored
OP
OP
BOB L

BOB L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Mustang GT, 2015 Wrangler
I've also been keeping an eye on Lordstown. What's everyone's take on them?

The big hurdle for startup companies like Rivian, Atlis, Lordstown, etc. is the lack of a dealer network for servicing/repairs. That's one mega built in advantage the electric F-150 will have going for it over all those other EV pickups.
I was really looking forward to Lordstown’s Endurance truck reveal at the Detroit auto show in June but of course that’s been cancelled. Last I read they’re planning on an online reveal in the summer. They’ve said they are benchmarking it against the F-150 and want to be “as good or better in all areas” than the F-150. Lofty goals for sure.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I’d be interested but only after the 4th or 5th year of production and only if it had a range of 350-400 miles on a single charge.

I don’t do any towing, heavy hauling, nor do I go off road so an IRS would also be a must.

Since Ford invested heavily in Rivian, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re sold within some but not all Ford dealership.

Galpin in California comes to mind.

MAhauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
Altho Rivian and Ford are sharing some engineering/development costs, at the end of the day Rivian is a competitor and if the R1S and R1T are wildly successful it will threaten Ford's bread and butter which are all moving in the direction of all electric. I don't see it happening anytime soon with F-150's dominance but still can't see Ford directly selling Rivian vehicles in its dealerships unless they actually acquired the company.

hellome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
150 2018, forester 2009
Not as of the moment. If this would be their first electric for F-150 then will wait for another 3 years for the other model.

maduck

Threads
Reaction score
Not as of the moment. If this would be their first electric for F-150 then will wait for another 3 years for the other model.
What other model are you referring to? You mean you expect Ford to electrify other trims in the lineup? Not sure about that...

Sponsored

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
I am not going to sit on top of a battery that weighs more than 1,800 lbs. No to all battery trucks.

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
I am not going to sit on top of a battery that weighs more than 1,800 lbs. No to all battery trucks.
Good for you. I’m not going to buy another pure-ICE truck that doesn’t do anything to help my kids’ or future grandkids’ futures. No to all dinosaur juice trucks.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Is it the weight that bother you or the battery pack itself?

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
No way. The distance per charge is a huge issue for me.

And, if the cold spell in Texas is any indication of the electric grid issues, just wait for a bunch of electric vehicles also being plugged in.

The hybrid is attractive to me because it isn't about the fake 'saving the earth with electric' thinking. It is about the cool stuff we can do with gas AND electric!

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
The hybrid is attractive to me because it isn't about the fake 'saving the earth with electric' thinking. It is about the cool stuff we can do with gas AND electric!
I didn't buy my first EV with notions that I was helping the planet. I bought it for several other reasons that are unique to EVs:

- Incredible instant torque at any RPM
- Silent powertrain
- Start every day with a full "tank" and only stop for "fuel" on long trips.
- Remote AC/heat, even in a garage
- Excellent handling due to the low center of gravity
- Bonus storage (sometimes a lot) vs. a comparable ICE vehicle

This is not to say they're for everyone or that there aren't tradeoffs, but I find that for how I use the car, the benefits far outweigh the downsides.

I still love my gas sports car and motorcycles, but there's way more to EVs than hugging trees. I even joke with my girlfriend that I'm the one really rolling coal when I charge my car in a part of the county with coal power plants.

It's a shame that a lot of EV owners turn into eco terrorists and slander anyone driving a gas/diesel vehicle as a heretic that hates the earth. If they actually want to convert people to driving an EV, they'd catch more flies with honey.
Sponsored