Sponsored

Who actually uses a weight distributing hitch?

Wild Pig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost Sport
So, looking at page 7 of the towing guide, am I correct in reading the max tongue weight load without a WD is 500lbs?

The trailer I'm planning on towing is about 480lbs tongue weight. My assumption is that a WD would be in order to bump up the max tongue weight to 1400lbs to give me a safety margin.

Am I on the right track?
Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
So, looking at page 7 of the towing guide, am I correct in reading the max tongue weight load without a WD is 500lbs?

The trailer I'm planning on towing is about 480lbs tongue weight. My assumption is that a WD would be in order to bump up the max tongue weight to 1400lbs to give me a safety margin.

Am I on the right track?
You'll need a WDH. Which TT are you looking at ? If the 480lb is dry from published specs, then most likely it'll higher than that.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech

Am I on the right track?
You'll need a WDH. Which TT are you looking at ? If the 480lb is dry from published specs, then most likely it'll higher than that.
I agree. Calculate it with taking 12.5% of the max travel trailer weight to get the average. 15% if you max the travel trailer carry load out.

Wild Pig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost Sport
Thanks for the info. There are a few different TTs we are considering and all are coming in around 500 plus or minus. One thing I have learned in researching is that the tongue weights posted by the manufacturer are, shall we say, optimistic. That's why I want the safety margin.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms

Am I on the right track?
Do you mean a printed towing guide? If you have something online, please post a link to the towing guide (or attach it) … the owners manual and the towing guide I've downloaded don't have a page 7 that tables the load ratings.

Sponsored

Arcteryx

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT FX4 Lead Foot Gray
Occupation
Engineer
For travel trailers the tongue weight advertised is way off. Propane tank and battery are added by the dealers and that alone is at least 100 lbs. If there's an electronic tongue jack another 30 lbs. Second propane tank add another 37 lbs. See where I'm going with this lol. Also for true travel trailer weight you want to see the sticker in the door jamb. The advertised TT weights are usually low as well. Airstream I think is accurate with their tongue weight.

OP
OP

spectre446

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
What are you all doing for boats? I don't think I've ever seen a boat with a weight distributing hitch

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
What are you all doing for boats? I don't think I've ever seen a boat with a weight distributing hitch
I've never used one on any of the boats I've owned. Nor have I ever used one with open or enclosed car trailers.
Ford F-150 Who actually uses a weight distributing hitch? 20200609_112254~3

My old Ram but it carries over to Ford.

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
Everyone that tries to tow a trailer with a truck that isn’t actually large/strong enough to tow said trailer. It’s a fix for a problem that’s become all too common place….. like it’s the way it’s should be….it’s not.

Last edited:

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Everyone that tries to tow a trailer with a truck that isn’t actually large/strong enough to tow said trailer. It’s a fix for a problem that’s become all too common place….. like it’s the way it’s should be….it’s not.
I don’t think large or strong enough is a problem. You should be running them even if you have a larger F-250 truck. It’s just better for the truck in the long run, especially the rear axles. The people that just run bags tend to put even more pressure on the rear axle. Plus, it just makes the ride better.

Sponsored

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
I don’t think large or strong enough is a problem. You should be running them even if you have a larger F-250 truck. It’s just better for the truck in the long run, especially the rear axles. The people that just run bags tend to put even more pressure on the rear axle. Plus, it just makes the ride better.
Wrong……but it’s your money…. and truck

BILDOZER

First Name
BILL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat, 2017 Ford Escape
Occupation
Management
If your tounge weight is under 500lbs and your trailer is properly loaded within truck limits, you will gain nothing from a wdh or sway bar. If your over 500lbs tounge weight then you'll need it, it's that simple. Salesman will sell a wdh for a pop up if they can get away with it. I've towed for over 20 years and only time I used a wdh was with a minivan towing which was the wrong tow vehicle to begin with. Don't waste your money or hassle over the hype.

Wild Pig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost Sport
Do you mean a printed towing guide? If you have something online, please post a link to the towing guide (or attach it) … the owners manual and the towing guide I've downloaded don't have a page 7 that tables the load ratings.
Here's the guide I was referring to.

Attachments

Arcteryx

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT FX4 Lead Foot Gray
Occupation
Engineer
Wrong……but it’s your money…. and truck
The problem isn't the trucks or their size. In my opinion ford failed on the hitch. Its only rated for 500lbs tongue weight. You can buy an after market with much higher tongue weight load. Using the WDH spreads the weight efficiently. Second is the antisway. Size of a truck won't change that problem. TTs are balanced so that you will always battle sway. That's just a fact. My truck is damn near a 1 ton if you go by the numbers(1944 payload). 20 years ago I may have agreed with but these "1/2 ton" trucks have gotten bigger and better. I am well under all max specs provided by Ford. With the 3.5 inch rake on my truck I only lose 2.5 of those inches without the WDH. The week point is the cheap hitch Ford installed. I mainly use my WDH because it has the built in sway control, not because my truck requires it. The weight distribution is an added bonus.

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
I use a WDH at 5k lbs loaded. Its not about just weight. The length, size, wind, and road surface all play into it. The two selling points on WDH is it evens the load on both axles and helps with sway. Just got back from a new TT shakedown today and felt the trailer still moving around due to wind gusts. I wouldnt tow a TT without one. This isn't a landscaping trailer.

20210430_153156.jpg

Resized95Screenshot9520210501-14421195Motion95photo95viewer.jpg
Good looking rig, I especially enjoy the whole "deployed mode" you've got going and the jolly Roger flag
Sponsored