• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Who’s selling their EV, when they get the Lightning?

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I just got a Model Y and love it. I can’t see owning two EV’s. I would rather spend the money on home improvements and sell it. I’m also going to own a Bronco next month, but will probably keep that, as long as I really like it as a weekend vehicle.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Not me, the Lightning will be our families first EV. Unless my wife decides she likes the Mach-e GT enough to order one and that gets here first!

ansky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Audi RS3
So for people making the move from Model 3/Y etc, why the move to the lightning? Were you always waiting for a EV truck? What made this the eventual move?

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
So for people making the move from Model 3/Y etc, why the move to the lightning? Were you always waiting for a EV truck? What made this the eventual move?
Three years ago I made up my mind to own a truck, since all of my past vehicles have been sports cars and SUV. Originally, I planned on going for a Rivian last year, but couldn’t pass up reserving the Bronco when I saw it debut. I figured I would buy the Y now (Since my Explorer was up to 170k miles) and drive it for a year and commute with it, then get the Lightning and finally be satisfied owning a truck.

Sponsored

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
Just got our Mach E. Currently have a 2018 F150 XLT Sport with a goose neck hitch for our small horse trailer. If the Lightning can accommodate a gooseneck hitch the ICE F150 will be gone and we will be officially ALL EV

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Just got our Mach E. Currently have a 2018 F150 XLT Sport with a goose neck hitch for our small horse trailer. If the Lightning can accommodate a gooseneck hitch the ICE F150 will be gone and we will be officially ALL EV
How did you handle the home charging setup? If you installed the home charger for the Mach-e, did you oversize the wiring to support higher power Lightning charger (if you get one)?

Trying to figure out how to handle this if my wife orders a Mach-e (test drive on Saturday) and it arrives before my lightnining.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I have a co-dependent relationship with my I-Pace, and don't want to sell it. I'm hoping the Lightning would replace our Ram 1500, but only if there's decent real-world towing range.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Getting the Lightning will allow me to combine the best aspects of my current vehicles in one. Truck utility and the joy of driving electric, finally together! So, no need to hold on to the old ones. If used car prices next year are anywhere close to where they're now, I'll actually make a profit on the Leaf. After putting 100K miles on it. Crazy!

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Already got rid of the Model 3 for an ICE F150. Best move I ever made, except getting an EV F150 will be even better

Sponsored

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
How did you handle the home charging setup? If you installed the home charger for the Mach-e, did you oversize the wiring to support higher power Lightning charger (if you get one)?

Trying to figure out how to handle this if my wife orders a Mach-e (test drive on Saturday) and it arrives before my lightnining.
We had an existing 14-50 outlet that we used for an RV. I relocated it to be more convenient for EV charging and purchased a Grizzl-E home charger for everyday use. The MME comes with a portable unit that can either plug into a normal 120v outlet or a 50amp outlet, this we leave in the car for use when traveling.

We are currently looking into a solar setup and planning what would be necessary for the Lightning to power the house during a power outage. What we have set up now would be sufficient to charge the Lightning and the MME, just not at the same time obviously

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Sold my Model 3 already. Resale was just too good to pass up. Sold it for barely less than I paid when it was new more than two years before.

And the Lightning, assuming Ford will sell me a Pro SR before the tax credit runs out, will be much substantially cheaper and can tow a travel trailer.

Model 3 was a great car. No complaints. Very capable trip car. The Lightning will be a downgrade in travel time, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to nearly break even after 2+ years and then get a Lightning Pro, which is a bonkers deal, IMO.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
We currently have a Nissan Leaf (2016 with 30kWh battery), a Mustang Mach E, and a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. I had originally planned to trade in the Leaf when we bought the Mach E but trade-in/resale was only about $7K (now $7.5K with car-shortage inflation). We decided to keep the Leaf another year to reduce use of gas in the Tacoma. Once the Lightning arrives, the Leaf and Tacoma both go and we'll be all BEV.

Kickaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Selling my 2016 Tesla Model X for the Lightning. I enjoy driving SUVs and trucks. I really like my Model X but its not an SUV.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
So for people making the move from Model 3/Y etc, why the move to the lightning?
Safety. Tesla's ADAS (Automated Driver Assistance Systems) don't work well. Non existent blind spot alert, lane keep alert, 360 view, rear cross traffic alert. Adaptive cruise has phantom braking and changes speed without driver input when it should not.

Ford's Co-Pilot 360 is much better.

But I could get that with ANY other EV from Kia, Hyundai, GM etc. The F150 gives me the max utility in an EV.

With the F150EV, plan is going full Nomadland towing the boat and chasing the salmon all over the Pacific NW. Boat is 5k# so 500# of the 1800# load capacity Another 900# for the slide in camper.

And nothing is more iconic and symbolic of the US gasoline culture than the F150 so being able to do it as an EV has special significance for the evolution to EV's. Plus US made in refurbished Detroit auto plant, the F150EV is the restoration of US car industry. Ford should be rewarded for effort.
Sponsored