Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 5.0
Occupation
PM
Hi All,

I'm sure this is going to be a very small pool to play in but I am looking/researching getting the Whipple for my 5.0 and I have several questions as I am researching this.

1. Is this reversible? (I assume it is just keep all the parts removed)
2. What are the maintenance issues with it?
3. I am looking to get this installed about 4 hours away from me. What happens if there is a problem with it? Would I have to get vehicle trailer and get it back up there? I'm sure this is more of a question to the shop performing the work.
4. Any reliability issues so far with yours?
5. I am pretty mechanically inclined, If I was a tad younger I would do the install myself. So if there are maintenance items that need to be done I can perform them.

I do have other vehicles to use if something goes south. Just trying to gather up as much info before I talk with the shop so I can sound somewhat non-dim-witted.

I have watched the videos on YouTube with customers coming to pick up their trucks after install and the first test drive, they have me salivating.
Sponsored

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
I dont have one but was researching them a while back. Definitely have a shop authorized by Whipple do the work so that you get the warranty. As for issues, a number of people have mentioned an annoying intake whistle that there isnt a fix for and I saw one video where a defect in the super charger ultimately destroyed the guy's engine.

OP
OP
AAWhyte

AAWhyte

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 5.0
Occupation
PM
Hi Jared,

Yeah I have read about the whistle. And I believe that was Back Road Driver (YouTube) the Whipple had the coolant leak into one of his cylinders and destroyed the engine. BUT Whipple did replace the engine since it was their fault. Not sure if they replaced it because they have a pretty decent following on YouTube.
BTW that is the place I have been researching to perform the work. The same place they went to, TC Customs I believe is the name.

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
Yes it was Back Road Driver's YouTube channel and I was happy to see that Whipple stepped up and paid for the engine replacement. TC Customs definitely seems like a good choice for the install and you may be able to contact them first and ask how any problems would need to be handled to maintain the warranty. I know at least a few guys on here are running the Whipple setup so hopefully they will be able to provide additional information.

jorligan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Paxpower conversion
You can get the Ford Performance supercharger and have it installed at your local dealer. It is a Whipple and will be warrantied by Ford. Fully reversible but you have to reflash the ECU to stock. Regular maintenance and occasionally, change the oil in the supercharger. No issues with mine including the whistle. I have the Whipple which was installed by Livernois Motorsports here in MI.

Sponsored

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Hi All,

I'm sure this is going to be a very small pool to play in but I am looking/researching getting the Whipple for my 5.0 and I have several questions as I am researching this.

1. Is this reversible? (I assume it is just keep all the parts removed)
Yes, it is. Keep all the stock parts you remove ie. intake manifold with stock throttle body (if stage 2,) air intake box setup, thermostat housing that gets replaced etc. Just keep in mind that if you had a shop install it, you would be paying the same amount for them to uninstall the kit.

2. What are the maintenance issues with it?
Has to be run with 5W-50 engine oil, spark plugs replaced every 20,000 miles (highly recommend using Ford Performance supercharger spec plugs seen HERE,) and changing supercharger oil every 100k miles. This requires removal of the supercharger. There have been issues with people burning up cats especially those running the short pre-axle exit exhausts. For longevity, it has been recommended to run catless if you will be beating the shit out of the truck. This is a non-issue if you will be driving normally with occasional spirited driving here and there and retaining the stock pulley. You MUST run a minimum of 91 pump gas. At this time, you can NOT run E85 on the canned Whipple tune.

3. I am looking to get this installed about 4 hours away from me. What happens if there is a problem with it? Would I have to get vehicle trailer and get it back up there? I'm sure this is more of a question to the shop performing the work.
This is a question only you can answer. It will pay to do your homework on the experience/rep of the shop that will be doing it. Obviously if there's a major issue, you would need to trailer the truck back to the shop. Just make sure the shop is familiar with Ford trucks and Whipple blowers.

4. Any reliability issues so far with yours?
None.

5. I am pretty mechanically inclined, If I was a tad younger I would do the install myself. So if there are maintenance items that need to be done I can perform them.
I am as well, but as someone who has other projects going on in the garage, I just didn't have the space/time to do the install immediately so I had a trusted local Mustang shop do the install. They had my truck for a couple days. They quoted me $900 for the install which IMO was too good to pass up for easily a 12hour + job which was done flawlessly.

I have watched the videos on YouTube with customers coming to pick up their trucks after install and the first test drive, they have me salivating.
Just do it! Hope the feedback helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AAWhyte

AAWhyte

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 5.0
Occupation
PM
Yes it is....... Hope the feedback helps.
Wow diambo4life thank you for the detailed reply. I have a very trusted place to do the work. It's the distance away from me that concerns me, but I will not be romping the hell out of it daily, just every now and then when I need a huge smile. Also when I need an assassin I'll look you up! Thanks!

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
No problem. I updated my post above with one little thing I failed to mention.

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150
I did the install myself in Jan and have 15k miles on it so far and it’s been trouble free. I daily drive it at the moment and average 18mpg but can get to 22mpg on freeway. I have the whistle but I don’t really notice it unless I have my window down.
the only thing that I personally will have to purchase to reverse it would be a vacuum line that I modified to fit better.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150
Occupation
Cooking burgers and hotdogs is not BBQing, it's grilling! Thx, All of Texas!
I'm an inch closer in my decision to supercharge.

However, I'm stuck on the differences between Roush, Whipple 5 and now Ford Performance/Whipple 5x.

Ford Performance was using Roush. I wonder why they changed to Whipple?

Disclaimer: I'm going to sound like I know something, I don't ;)

One thing about superchargers is they lean out the fuel supply. The stock fuel pump and injectors only supply a certain about fuel. If there isn't enough fuel, denotation/pinging can occur and it's up to the tune to do something about it. One solution is replace the injectors with larger ones like the Whipple stage 2 kit provides.

-Ford Performance/Whipple does not use a fuel pump booster.
-Roush uses a fuel pump booster.

Is this a big deal?
Why doesn't the Whipple stage 1 need it? Good idea to get one?

Another difference I recently learned about is crank shaft torsional torque. Well they have a fix for that.

-Roush includes a replacement viscous crank shaft dampener.
-Ford Performance/Whipple does not.

Is this a big deal?
Perhaps it's a workaround for some issue Roush has.

Whipple has two kits a stage 1 and stage 2. I'm leaning towards the stage 1 because of the warrantee, but if I'm killing the engine and the stage 2 is better for the engine, I'd rather go that route.
Which one is safer for the engine?

Sponsored

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150
I’m changing my damper to the ATI one as my GT350 has the same one on an 10 rib and I like it.
I would email Whipple and Roush directly to ask why they use what they use so you get it straight from the source.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150
Occupation
I called Whipple, Roush and Ford Performance. As expected, each tech person I spoke with basically recited their marketing details. Regarding the crank dampener, you might be "fine" without one, but it doesn't hurt to have it. Same with the injectors and larger intake, it's probably a good idea to upgrade the fuel pump for more volume.

Whipple isn't going to admit you have install these additional components or else longevity could be effected.

Roush isn't going to admit we included these extra parts because in our testing we found, x, y and z problems.

I think they are pushing the limits with the stock components to keep the install simple enough. I'm sure they have tuned as much "safety and protection" for the engine as they can.

OP
OP
AAWhyte

AAWhyte

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 5.0
Occupation
PM
Thanks all for your replies, these are all the questions that I have researched myself.

@NavyChief, my research has lead me to the ATI damper as well, glad to see someone else came to that conclusion. May I ask why, is it because you already have it on your GT and it works?

@TexasTruck, same questions and I have not been able to narrow down why some of the companies have the extra parts, or suggest extra parts when the other manufactures do not. Like you mentioned I do know the Whipple Stage two does provide larger injectors, I cant see how you cannot need larger injectors with a supercharger.

Last edited:

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150
Occupation
Hmmm, interesting, I just read Whipple now offers a Stage 1R.... "differs than the Stage 1 with its high flow fuel injectors, higher RPM limit and increased boost for even more torque and horsepower, all while using the stock throttle body! The stage 1R system makes up to 715* tire shredding foot pounds of torque and 775* horsepower to the flywheel!"

:unsure:
Sponsored