First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I am having the same exact issue with my brand spankn' new 2022 F150 XLT FX4 with the 5.0L engine. When I drove into my work parking lot and passed and a colleague of mine (who owns a Dodge Ram), and he says, "Yo! Is that your new truck making that horrible whining noise", then it's a problem.

I have a case number with Ford Motor Company now. My truck is sitting at the dealership and while the truck is paid off, I'm not taking it back unless the issue is fixed. Even the dealership service rep who moved my truck into the service bay said upon starting it, "Ooof! That doesn't sound good at all". I didn't spend this much money for a truck with a V8 and now have to live with a whiney sound. Completely unacceptable for the #1 selling pick up truck in America.

They need to make this right, not just for me, but for others that are annoyed with this odd noise.

Have the dealership double check the transmission fluid level. It's well documented that Ford has had an issue with underfilling the 10R80's at the factory by up to 2-3 quarts. My 2020 Ranger (same transmission) was almost 2 under and whined pretty bad at first as well as had odd shifting issues. The dealer topped it off and I reset the shift tables with Forscan and it was muuuuuuuch better after that.
Sponsored

Tyson1969

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT FX4 5.0L
Occupation
Vice President - Hyster/Yale Forklifts
I have the same thing and mine is going back to the dealer tomorrow. I have a 21 Lariat PB, and I chalked it up to the electric motor, but that is not it. When the tranny is cold I do not hear it. It is only when it reaches normal temp after driving hat it becomes progressively louder. It changes pitch as it changes gear.
it’s getting so loud that I don’t even need the pedestrian robotic bumble bee alert to come on. I thought I was finally out of the “debugging” days, but I spoke too soon. This will be trip number 11 for yet another issue.
it’s also going in for the tranny shudder it does when under load in higher gear, especially uphill. I think I’m finally going to throw in the towel. I was going to get the ESP and just deal with whatever happens because I do love the truck. However I just can’t trust it, and that’s a serious problem if I ever want to travel.
I also noted that I can not hear it upon cold start up. It occurs as soon as it warms up. :-(

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Have the dealership double check the transmission fluid level. It's well documented that Ford has had an issue with underfilling the 10R80's at the factory by up to 2-3 quarts. My 2020 Ranger (same transmission) was almost 2 under and whined pretty bad at first as well as had odd shifting issues. The dealer topped it off and I reset the shift tables with Forscan and it was muuuuuuuch better after that.
So, Looking into this was interesting. Firstly, the design of the pump I thought was pretty cool.

It’s a Family Affair – 10R140, 10R80, and 10R60; The Same But Different

Gears Magazine said:
A pump whine complaint is common. The 10R series transmissions use straight-cut transfer gears to drive an off-axis pump. As we remember from manual transmissions, straight-cut gears are known to whine. Therefore, the noise is a normal condition and does not affect the unit’s durability. Do not attempt to correct!
Honestly, I'll just tell people the transmission has straight cut race gears if I get any flak. Or that the trans has a supercharger in it.

So here is that pump gear system. This interface is above the valve body in the transmission at the very top of the fill area, and what looks like the drain area that's supposed to feed the gear on the pump with drainage (blue)?
Ford F-150 Whinny transmission. Not happy. 1663198228677

Pump installed:

Ford F-150 Whinny transmission. Not happy. 1663198606626

Because from what I can tell over many angles, the pump gear is isolated from the standing fluid but it's cover (reduces aeration of the fluid, and reduces losses from the gear spinning though it) and only get's a lube bath from this little port.

Ford F-150 Whinny transmission. Not happy. 1663198280559
Ford F-150 Whinny transmission. Not happy. 1663198131170

Maybe something about it being low on fluid makes the fluid drain into the pan area some other way first, and the pump gear gets a bit starved?

10R80 10-Speed Automatic Transmission Whine
Where Did The Front Pump Go on Ford’s New 10R80 10-Speed Trans?
The More You Know About The 10R80… The Better Off You Are!

I also noted that I can not hear it upon cold start up. It occurs as soon as it warms up. :-(
According to Ford SSM 47515 from the 2018 F-150:
Ford said:
vehicles equipped with a 10R80 transmission may exhibit a whine noise. This may occur at idle and while driving coming from the bell housing and front pan area of the transmission. The whine noise may become louder when at operating temperature...

P.S.: There is some good reinforcement for the temperatures of this transmission in the first article:
Gears Magazine said:
The normal operating temperature range for the 10R applications is 195°F to 215°F (90°C to 101°C). Yes, this is the OEM specified range, so don’t correct it. Everything from the friction and steel plates to the fluid is designed to function at its optimal level when the unit reaches this range. So, on a hot Arizona day, when you are pulling a 40-foot trailer uphill to the lake, it is common to see temperatures spike as high as 230°F!

Last edited:

FordestGump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor
Occupation
Trains
I am having the same exact issue with my brand spankn' new 2022 F150 XLT FX4 with the 5.0L engine. When I drove into my work parking lot and passed and a colleague of mine (who owns a Dodge Ram), and he says, "Yo! Is that your new truck making that horrible whining noise", then it's a problem.

I have a case number with Ford Motor Company now. My truck is sitting at the dealership and while the truck is paid off, I'm not taking it back unless the issue is fixed. Even the dealership service rep who moved my truck into the service bay said upon starting it, "Ooof! That doesn't sound good at all". I didn't spend this much money for a truck with a V8 and now have to live with a whiney sound. Completely unacceptable for the #1 selling pick up truck in America.

They need to make this right, not just for me, but for others that are annoyed with this odd noise.
Share the same sentiment. Not sure how anyone would just be ok with this. No other brand has this sound. They all sound like normal engines. My coworkers heard it today and one said what's that whining sound and the other said it takes away from the exhaust. For Ford to say it's normal is total BS.

chrismon36

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Crew 6.5 bed
Dear FORD,
I have a 2019 F150 Lariat... 40K miles. A few months ago, my 4x4 system failed due to a shattered pinion gear in my front differential. Ford replaced it under warranty. Shortly after, my IWEs/hubs & vacuum system failed... Ford replaced that as well. Truck was at the dealer for nearly 2 months due to part shortages and technician unavailability.

Last month while on a road trip far from home, my torque converter seized up and the transmission catastrophically failed leaving me and my family on the side of the road at night in the middle of no where.

A month in the shop later, Ford replaced the transmission, and lucky me, i got stuck with a new one that whines like there is no tomorrow. Its awful, embarrassing, and totally ruins the driving experience. I took it back to the dealer and they kindly said "sorry, this is a known issue with Ford transmissions, and they wont even let us write a ticket to explore other options". So in other words, i was told i just have to deal with it, and to reach out to Ford directly.

So, I called Ford Customer relations and filed a case... and they replied with "Sorry, although we know this is an issue with our transmissions, they are deemed safe to drive." I stated i found this unnacceptable, so they told me i should contact Ford Consumer Affairs, so i mailed them a letter. No response as of yet.

75K spent on a new truck (with 3 months of payments for it to sit in the shop) and now im being forced to accept replacement parts that have known issues that destroy my driving experience and make me potentially regret getting the truck in the first place. The dealer guy even "suggested" i look into the Lemon Laws.

My argument is simple. If the transmission sounded like that when the truck was new, i would not have bought it.

My friends bought a Subaru Ascent, and their transmission failed a year in, and guess what... in addition to replacing everything along with some extra perks, Subaru corporate sent them an apology letter with a nice hefty apology check for their inconveneince, now i know why Subaru fans are the most loyal.

I want to be loyal to you Ford, and I want to love my truck again. -C

astro_fusion

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 supercab, 1990 Bronco II
Occupation
Engineer
Sell it and buy a gen 14, at least then you'll be complaining on the correct forum.
Sponsored