First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 Ecobbost 3.5L tuned + performance mods
Occupation
Supervisor
When I first started looking for a new F150. I test drive a 5.0L. When I was leaving my house with it I could hear a but if a whine. I though...good thing I'm not buying this one it sounds like it has a belt issue.

Fast forward to my new F150 fresh off the truck. Mine is whining worse than the 5.0L. I test drove.

Goes back Monday and they better fix or replace. Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

cakryg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra
I just noticed the whine when I was in a fast food drive thru line with the sound bouncing off the side of the building. Are others noticing the whine at idle? Is this normal for the truck? I have to take it in for the windshield reseal soon so I will bring it up as well as the rust on the rear axle.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
I think some amount of whine is normal for the 10R80. This according to the info posted here:

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/10r80-10-speed-automatic-transmission-whine/
Reading through this the article makes it sound like it is just the nature of the design.

Until you get to this one line: "So essentially, the whine is happening because the pump gears are not meshing properly." I don't think I like the way that is worded. How is it possible for the whine noise to be "considered to be characteristic of the 10R80 transmission," while at the same time being classified as "not meshing properly."

For reference I would say that mine makes a slight whine, but nothing that I had ever considered to be abnormal. Once again, I'm thankful for the ESP.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Reading through this the article makes it sound like it is just the nature of the design.

Until you get to this one line: "So essentially, the whine is happening because the pump gears are not meshing properly." I don't think I like the way that is worded. How is it possible for the whine noise to be "considered to be characteristic of the 10R80 transmission," while at the same time being classified as "not meshing properly."

For reference I would say that mine makes a slight whine, but nothing that I had ever considered to be abnormal. Once again, I'm thankful for the ESP.
Maybe a slight whine is a normal characteristic and if there is some kind of meshing issue it is more pronounced. Makes sense to me anyway.

My ‘18 had a slight whine and so does my ‘21. I’m not concerned at all to be honest.

Like you alluded to, the ESP will provide peace of mind. ??

Sponsored

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
My 18 and 21 sound about the same. Both whine. Drive it and pretend it's supercharged.

Bigdflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302a Sport
Check out info related to the last gen trucks. My 2018 whined way louder than my current 2021 front day one, just by chance I think. Issue has been beat to a pulp by everyone. Ford issued a technical statement of some kind finally that just said “suck it up, it’s normal.”

Bravo36

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch FX 4
Occupation
Retired Fed LEO, Current Federal Contractor
Huh, just like the rust. Typical.

hillbros_96

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150, 2021 F150
Not meshing properly definitely isn't the correct wording as it wouldn't fit in the spot if it didn't mesh properly and would explode the first time it tried turning over. More than possible that the finish and profile on the gear teeth are not exact and making the whining noise until it self-corrects from to being broken in.

NumbersGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch
Not too make light of a potential issue, but I was talking to a pilot friend of mine about how some planes I’ve been in have made some sketchy sounding noises, and he told me “you’re riding in a mechanical bird...it’s going to make some noise.” That has stuck with me.
At the end of the day, we’re driving around in something with probably thousands of moving parts...there’s going to be noise.

Sponsored

Tyson1969

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT FX4 5.0L
Occupation
Vice President - Hyster/Yale Forklifts
I am having the same exact issue with my brand spankn' new 2022 F150 XLT FX4 with the 5.0L engine. When I drove into my work parking lot and passed and a colleague of mine (who owns a Dodge Ram), and he says, "Yo! Is that your new truck making that horrible whining noise", then it's a problem.

I have a case number with Ford Motor Company now. My truck is sitting at the dealership and while the truck is paid off, I'm not taking it back unless the issue is fixed. Even the dealership service rep who moved my truck into the service bay said upon starting it, "Ooof! That doesn't sound good at all". I didn't spend this much money for a truck with a V8 and now have to live with a whiney sound. Completely unacceptable for the #1 selling pick up truck in America.

They need to make this right, not just for me, but for others that are annoyed with this odd noise.

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
I have the same thing and mine is going back to the dealer tomorrow. I have a 21 Lariat PB, and I chalked it up to the electric motor, but that is not it. When the tranny is cold I do not hear it. It is only when it reaches normal temp after driving hat it becomes progressively louder. It changes pitch as it changes gear.
it’s getting so loud that I don’t even need the pedestrian robotic bumble bee alert to come on. I thought I was finally out of the “debugging” days, but I spoke too soon. This will be trip number 11 for yet another issue.
it’s also going in for the tranny shudder it does when under load in higher gear, especially uphill. I think I’m finally going to throw in the towel. I was going to get the ESP and just deal with whatever happens because I do love the truck. However I just can’t trust it, and that’s a serious problem if I ever want to travel.

Tyson1969

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT FX4 5.0L
Occupation
Vice President - Hyster/Yale Forklifts
Contact Ford as they monitor this Forum. Get them to give you a case number after answering a few questions:
Ford F-150 Whinny transmission. Not happy. 1661881102475

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have the same thing and mine is going back to the dealer tomorrow. I have a 21 Lariat PB, and I chalked it up to the electric motor, but that is not it. When the tranny is cold I do not hear it. It is only when it reaches normal temp after driving hat it becomes progressively louder. It changes pitch as it changes gear.
it’s getting so loud that I don’t even need the pedestrian robotic bumble bee alert to come on. I thought I was finally out of the “debugging” days, but I spoke too soon. This will be trip number 11 for yet another issue.
it’s also going in for the tranny shudder it does when under load in higher gear, especially uphill. I think I’m finally going to throw in the towel. I was going to get the ESP and just deal with whatever happens because I do love the truck. However I just can’t trust it, and that’s a serious problem if I ever want to travel.
Hey there! I can look into your F-150’s noise concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?
Sponsored