First Name
Jacob Herrmann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Project Engineer
I drove a 21 F150 King Ranch and I am on a trip out of state and I’ve started hearing a loud squeaking or whining noise coming from what sounds like the rear of my truck. It’s pretty Im loud I can hear it with all the windows up and it seems to be pretty much whenever I’m at low speeds applying throttle or sometimes even when I’m stopping. Not sure exactly where it’s coming from or when it actually started but it’s been working the last few days. Im going to call a dealership in the morning and see if I can bring it by and see what they say it is but I was hoping to find some info about it online but haven’t seen anything yet.

I have a little over 23,300 miles on the truck.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
Is it a Max Tow package truck? If so, it could be the infamous sheared axle bolt.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
I drove a 21 F150 King Ranch and I am on a trip out of state and I’ve started hearing a loud squeaking or whining noise coming from what sounds like the rear of my truck. It’s pretty Im loud I can hear it with all the windows up and it seems to be pretty much whenever I’m at low speeds applying throttle or sometimes even when I’m stopping. Not sure exactly where it’s coming from or when it actually started but it’s been working the last few days. Im going to call a dealership in the morning and see if I can bring it by and see what they say it is but I was hoping to find some info about it online but haven’t seen anything yet.

I have a little over 23,300 miles on the truck.
I see from your avatar that you use your truck to tow so I'm thinking the same thing as SilverPigeon. Pop off your back wheels and see if you have a broken axle bolt causing the noise. If so, be prepared to leave your vehicle at your dealer for a month while they wait for a replacement axle (which could fail again after another few thousand miles). Also, it it is a failed axle bolt and while you are waiting to get your truck back, be sure to file a complaint with NHTSA.gov so they can force Ford to find a permanent solution.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JacobH

JacobH

First Name
Jacob Herrmann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Project Engineer
Is it a Max Tow package truck? If so, it could be the infamous sheared axle bolt.
Yes it is the max tow package, but I didn’t not tow anything on this trip. I haven’t called a dealer yet but seeing as I’m a few hundred miles away from home I might just have to drive with it like that until the weekend.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Yes it is the max tow package, but I didn’t not tow anything on this trip. I haven’t called a dealer yet but seeing as I’m a few hundred miles away from home I might just have to drive with it like that until the weekend.
A lot of them are failing with very little tow mileage and they don't necessarily fail while towing. One of the other forums has a running list of about forty failures of forum participants; one has had axles fail three different times over the year and a half he has owned his Max Tow F-150.

zzzCOUGARzzz

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR4, F-Type R & F150 Lariat ('21)
UPDATE from dealer today from THIS post: https://www.f150forum.com/f129/2021-rear-brake-squeal-522671/.

Rear Axle "something" shaved off inside of HUB and completely torn up. In searching around I have found that with 2021 F150 MAX TOW this is a pervasive issue in some cases. Ford does not have a TSB "Technical Service Bulletin" as of yet. Luckily for me I do not need my truck for about a week. I asked the dealer to spend their time and make sure that the rear axle is also not bent and any additional issues. We will see how this unfolds, but I do trust Westlie Ford here in the Pacific Northwest.

For anyone from FORD who is monitoring or watching this, I can simply say that a quick Google on this issue will show that across multiple forums in the "Digital World" that you may have reason enough to raise a TSB for this. Honestly, I have never feared driving a vehicle to a dealership to get repaired as I have today. Especially one with just ~20K in miles. @ford Please take notice for these scenarios... Realizing all of the "supply chain" issues and lack of "labor" these days, this digital world we all live in now is the easiest way for you to get a barometer on your customer experience. We trust in your dealers, trust in us as consumers!

From another post, IT'S NOT BRAKES if it makes the sound UNDER POWER!

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/whining-squeaking-from-rear-end.12609/
Sponsored