Which truck should I buy??

kwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee, 2021 F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Corporate Finance
I've been a lurker for a little while so I hope I'm not breaking any etiquette rules by posting this here, I'm genuinely torn. Ever since the announcement of the F-150 Tremor I've been going back and forth between it and a Platinum. I would likely be doing little to no off-roading but I love the aggressive look. I'm debating between waiting for the Tremor in the Summer or getting the platinum and putting some more aggressive A/T's and running boards on it.

I'd love to hear other personal opinions.
Sponsored

EOhana13

First Name
Eden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan murano
It kinda depends on when you need the truck. Tremor is coming later this year so... personally I would go with a tremor just because it is just bad ass and it won't be as common. I think. Also what engine were you looking for?

NumbersGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch
I've been a lurker for a little while so I hope I'm not breaking any etiquette rules by posting this here, I'm genuinely torn. Ever since the announcement of the F-150 Tremor I've been going back and forth between it and a Platinum. I would likely be doing little to no off-roading but I love the aggressive look. I'm debating between waiting for the Tremor in the Summer or getting the platinum and putting some more aggressive A/T's and running boards on it.

I'd love to hear other personal opinions.
I struggled with the same decision. Ultimately, I wanted the 6.5' box and the brown interior of the King Ranch. The Tremor looks cool, but assumed it would be a package like on the F250s. So I'd want to get the King Ranch 6.5 box TREMOR, but then I found out it was a trim level. I didn't care for the interior and the Tremor will only come with a 5.5' box, so I put my order in for the King Ranch.

I'd say figure out what items are must haves or you, and look wayyy into the Tremor. The Tremor trim reminds me of the trail boss package for the Silverado. They take some bells and whistles out of the truck and spend that money on the off-road exterior and features, and the Tremor wouldn't come with everything the exact way I wanted...

Your mileage may vary...

OP
OP
kwon

kwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Corporate Finance
It kinda depends on when you need the truck. Tremor is coming later this year so... personally I would go with a tremor just because it is just bad ass and it won't be as common. I think. Also what engine were you looking for?
It's definitely a good looking truck. I would go with the 3.5 on the platinum so it's not an engine issue at all and I'd do a 5'5 box regardless as well. Mostly just want an aggressive truck with creature comforts haha. No rush on the truck but if I decided on the platinum I would go pull the trigger this month.

Thanks for the thoughts!

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
It's definitely a good looking truck. I would go with the 3.5 on the platinum so it's not an engine issue at all and I'd do a 5'5 box regardless as well. Mostly just want an aggressive truck with creature comforts haha. No rush on the truck but if I decided on the platinum I would go pull the trigger this month.

Thanks for the thoughts!
now, hear me out here: Buy an XLT, then trade it in for a 2022 Raptor. :unsure:

Sponsored

OP
OP
kwon

kwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Corporate Finance
I struggled with the same decision. Ultimately, I wanted the 6.5' box and the brown interior of the King Ranch. The Tremor looks cool, but assumed it would be a package like on the F250s. So I'd want to get the King Ranch 6.5 box TREMOR, but then I found out it was a trim level. I didn't care for the interior and the Tremor will only come with a 5.5' box, so I put my order in for the King Ranch.

I'd say figure out what items are must haves or you, and look wayyy into the Tremor. The Tremor trim reminds me of the trail boss package for the Silverado. They take some bells and whistles out of the truck and spend that money on the off-road exterior and features, and the Tremor wouldn't come with everything the exact way I wanted...

Your mileage may vary...
I'm going to have to wait for more infor on the Tremor to come out to find out exactly what's included -- you bring up a good point. I wouldn't want to sacrifice comfort for capabilities that I would likely never put to use.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 FORD RANGER LARIAT
Occupation
TEACHER

Thanks for the thoughts!
Hey, Kwon, we are sort of in the same, uh, boat here. I am thinking of moving up to 150land from the Ranger Lariat FX4 and am undecided about choosing the Tremor, Platinum, or Raptor. I want the comforts of B&O Unleashed, smoother suspension, tailgate lowering/lifting, etc. with aggressive looks and tires that can handle anything (not necessarily off-road but bad road, bad weather, bad-news obstacles, etc). I also would go with 3.5 Liters in any case and the 5'5 box but want fixed running boards, not the fancy, automatic ones. Getting the Platinum but upgrading the tires to AT and adding running boards is an interesting suggestion. Guys, any advice?

OP
OP
kwon

kwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Corporate Finance
Hey, Kwon, we are sort of in the same, uh, boat here. I am thinking of moving up to 150land from the Ranger Lariat FX4 and am undecided about choosing the Tremor, Platinum, or Raptor. I want the comforts of B&O Unleashed, smoother suspension, tailgate lowering/lifting, etc. with aggressive looks and tires that can handle anything (not necessarily off-road but bad road, bad weather, bad-news obstacles, etc). I also would go with 3.5 Liters in any case and the 5'5 box but want fixed running boards, not the fancy, automatic ones. Getting the Platinum but upgrading the tires to AT and adding running boards is an interesting suggestion. Guys, any advice?
Ranger Marc, this is a fun decision. I ended up going with the Platinum and have some thoughts if I could go back --
What you get with Platinum that you don't get with a fully loaded Lariat, isn't really worth the upgrade in my opinion. Price-wise, a 502a and a 701a aren't far off and you could easily pay the same for both but I actually prefer the look of the Lariat Sport over the Platinum. The massage seats are nice but the wireless charger is worthless and I don't ever use the lay-flat seats.
Automatic running boards are pretty annoying as well, I would love the fixed running boards on the Lariat. I also just really like the look of the Lariat Sport.

All of that being said, if you're even considering the Raptor and it's in your budget, I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to do it. It will not disappoint in the slightest. The only bummer would be the long wait you'll be in for to actually take delivery. I'd be surprised if anyone got their Raptor before December, if that. If you haven't already read through it, the Tremor thread from last week talks a lot about how overpriced it is. It's not really the budget Raptor that everyone thought it would be.

If it were me, I'd go Raptor and happily wait because the 37's are magnificent.

Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 FORD RANGER LARIAT
Occupation
TEACHER
Ranger Marc, this is a fun decision. I ended up going with the Platinum and have some thoughts if I could go back --
What you get with Platinum that you don't get with a fully loaded Lariat, isn't really worth the upgrade in my opinion. Price-wise, a 502a and a 701a aren't far off and you could easily pay the same for both but I actually prefer the look of the Lariat Sport over the Platinum. The massage seats are nice but the wireless charger is worthless and I don't ever use the lay-flat seats.
Automatic running boards are pretty annoying as well, I would love the fixed running boards on the Lariat. I also just really like the look of the Lariat Sport.

All of that being said, if you're even considering the Raptor and it's in your budget, I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to do it. It will not disappoint in the slightest. The only bummer would be the long wait you'll be in for to actually take delivery. I'd be surprised if anyone got their Raptor before December, if that. If you haven't already read through it, the Tremor thread from last week talks a lot about how overpriced it is. It's not really the budget Raptor that everyone thought it would be.

If it were me, I'd go Raptor and happily wait because the 37's are magnificent.
Kwan, thanks very much. This is very helpful. I did a Build-and-Price for a fully equipped Lariat with Sport Appearance, FX4, Power-liftgate, B&O Unleashed, etc. which gives me essentially everything I would want while allowing me to avoid some of the things I don't want or would hardly ever use such as the storage system under the back seat, massage seats, automatic running boards, etc. The Rangers' stock suspension is both too rough and too bouncy in my experience. I fixed this by installing aftermarket modifications, but from what I understand, the stock F150s are all pretty smooth on the street from the get-go. Is this what you found?

dafish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB KR SCREW, '18 Lariat SCREW
Occupation
Mostly retired IT Pro - Cyber-IPT

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
IMO...

If you want comfort & passenger capacity, get an SUV.

If you need a bed to haul stuff, get a Truck.

If you want both and want to look cool, get a Raptor.

If you want to go off road in seriously rough terrain… get a Regular Cab Short Bed 4x4 with 122” wheelbase.

Popplemer

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'87 F250 460 5 Speed 2021 F150 2.7L
The tremor high package is a super capable and beautiful truck. You can get leather seats, 5.0L v8 and an aggressive stance. If I were ordering a non Powerboost F150 I would only get the v8 (for the exhaust note) and if I wanted Lariat level features I'd be kind of end up pigeon holed into getting that tremor high. The availability of the Torsen front differential is awesome too. Many here will agree, buy once cry once. I'm on my second 14th Gen F150 because I didn't want to wait. Ended up ordering exactly what I wanted later and don't regret it but I lost a few bucks. Be patient, outline what you want and don't settle; do right by yourself the first go round.
Sponsored