Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR PB, 2018 Expedition Max Limited
Occupation
Retired
Is there no one that can or will answer these questions:
1. Are recently arrived chips being sent to factories to build new trucks rather than complete already built trucks?
2 Are there specific chips that are causing all the delivery problems? Which ones are they, related to which options?
3. Are deliveries being made from the stored trucks pool? First in, first out? Or are they just sitting there in "perpetuity"?
4. How are the chips being installed in the previously built trucks? Dedicated crews from the factory lines or newly trained employees specifically hired for this purpose?
5. Why won't Ford provide information to those of us with stored vehicles? Do they not feel an obligation to update their retail customers?
Sponsored

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
Is there no one that can or will answer these questions:
1. Are recently arrived chips being sent to factories to build new trucks rather than complete already built trucks?
2 Are there specific chips that are causing all the delivery problems? Which ones are they, related to which options?
3. Are deliveries being made from the stored trucks pool? First in, first out? Or are they just sitting there in "perpetuity"?
4. How are the chips being installed in the previously built trucks? Dedicated crews from the factory lines or newly trained employees specifically hired for this purpose?
5. Why won't Ford provide information to those of us with stored vehicles? Do they not feel an obligation to update their retail customers?
I'll do my best to tell you what I know. If there are other forum members here that can provide more, please do. If I have miss-spoke about anything, please correct.

Up to this point, it seems the circuit boards (chips) were being allocated to trucks rolling off the production line. I have JUST begun seeing some evidence that uncompleted trucks have started to be completed. (see 3/15 build week thread)

The 4 modules that have been reported are as follows:
SASM (Steering Angle Sensor Module)
VDM (Vehicle Dynamics Module)
HCM (Headlight Control Module)
SECM (Single Engine Control Module)
Some trucks are missing a single module, up to all 4 listed above.

See #1. It has not been determined what order they are completing the trucks.

It has been reported that a 3rd party, non union contractor will be installing the needed circuit boards.

This has been a hot topic for several months now. While Ford has just recently updated customers that have Broncos on order, no communication has been provided to F150 order owners. The quick answer is nobody knows, including dealers.

I hope this in someway helps. I understand it's human nature to want to know the details of what is causing the delays, but in the end, I'm not sure it makes a difference. The bottom line is we will receive our orders when Ford gets enough parts to complete the trucks. As far as knowing exactly how Ford will complete that process, I doubt we will ever be provided that level of insight into managements plans.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mike50

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I'll do my best to tell you what I know. If there are other forum members here that can provide more, please do. If I have miss-spoke about anything, please correct.

Up to this point, it seems the circuit boards (chips) were being allocated to trucks rolling off the production line. I have JUST begun seeing some evidence that uncompleted trucks have started to be completed. (see 3/15 build week thread)

It has been reported that a 3rd party, non union contractor will be installing the needed circuit boards.

This has been a hot topic for several months now. While Ford has just recently updated customers that have Broncos on order, no communication has been provided to F150 order owners. The quick answer is nobody knows, including dealers.

I hope this in someway helps. I understand it's human nature to want to know the details of what is causing the delays, but in the end, I'm not sure it makes a difference. The bottom line is we will receive our orders when Ford gets enough parts to complete the trucks. As far as knowing exactly how Ford will complete that process, I doubt we will ever be provided that level of insight into managements plans.

OP
OP

Mike50

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
You are correct that in the end it doesn't matter. It does affect whether I'm "understanding" or a little peeved or majorly upset. Plus, I desire to know there is an orderly process rather than Ford in a state of mass confusion. It is normal for Ford's "production people" to not communicate with customers, but these are abnormal conditions and they need to step up to the plate and keep their customers informed.

I greatly appreciate your response. The chip list is particularly interesting. Have a great day!

tardman91

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX
Not that it’s any consolation, but just know that Ford is as interested in getting those trucks built and delivered and sold as much as, if not more so, than you are.

Sponsored

Ford4Ever

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Taurus SEL AWD, 21 F150 Lariat 502a

On point #2. For me, I'm relatively certain it is the PCM. It is the only one with my production date and a NULL value.

GreggT

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Screw, SRX Cadillac
Occupation
Retired

One addition, according to our dealer, Built in Navigation has been a hold up and I believe, the issue on my truck.

GreggT

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Not that it’s any consolation, but just know that Ford is as interested in getting those trucks built and delivered and sold as much as, if not more so, than you are.
I'm sure they are but....obviously not at the expense of their bottom line where it is more profitable to keep the production lines running that stop them and use the modules on the already built vehicles.

85Mustangman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Supercab/ 6.5 box, 2.7, 302A, Antimatter
Occupation
Retired
I'm sure they are but....obviously not at the expense of their bottom line where it is more profitable to keep the production lines running that stop them and use the modules on the already built vehicles.
Exactly right... it IS more profitable to keep the production line running.

As an enterprise, FoMoCo is charged with making a profit, not making vehicles. Making a vehicles is a means to an end. And the execs are working for the board of directors, NOT you and I who are buying the product. We are clearly second in line.

Don’t shoot the messenger... I don’t like it anymore than you do. It is simply the corporate culture as it has evolved to at this point in time... any message to the contrary is spin.

Now, I realize that people will point out that if a company abuses their client base too much the whole thing loses value as sales diminish, but we are not at that point yet... we still keep on buying F150’s and they see that. Plus, the competition is in the same boat, inventories of Ram are just as meagre.

On the other hand, wouldn’t it be great for Ford just to issue a periodic press release stating “we have received XXX thousand partsahead of the planned restart of KCTP”? It would do a world of good from a PR perspective, and I bet it would bump the stock price up a bit too ?. Jim Farley are you listening?

my rant is done and I feel better.

Sponsored

GreggT

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Exactly right... it IS more profitable to keep the production line running.

As an enterprise, FoMoCo is charged with making a profit, not making vehicles. Making a vehicles is a means to an end. And the execs are working for the board of directors, NOT you and I who are buying the product. We are clearly second in line.

Don’t shoot the messenger... I don’t like it anymore than you do. It is simply the corporate culture as it has evolved to at this point in time... any message to the contrary is spin.

Now, I realize that people will point out that if a company abuses their client base too much the whole thing loses value as sales diminish, but we are not at that point yet... we still keep on buying F150’s and they see that. Plus, the competition is in the same boat, inventories of Ram are just as meagre.

On the other hand, wouldn’t it be great for Ford just to issue a periodic press release stating “we have received XXX thousand partsahead of the planned restart of KCTP”? It would do a world of good from a PR perspective, and I bet it would bump the stock price up a bit too ?. Jim Farley are you listening?

my rant is done and I feel better.
Excellent post!
Believe me, I looked at a GMC and RAM when it became obvious my F150 was sitting in limbo. JMO of course but neither can compare especially in the area of engines and transmissions. The overall GM products still seem a few years behind Ford and the RAM, while has improved dramatically over the last few years lacks the engine choices and I have a hard time with the looks of their front end. If my choice was getting a GMC/Chevy, RAM, or just keeping my 2018 XLT, I would keep my current 2018.

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
You are correct that in the end it doesn't matter. It does affect whether I'm "understanding" or a little peeved or majorly upset. Plus, I desire to know there is an orderly process rather than Ford in a state of mass confusion. It is normal for Ford's "production people" to not communicate with customers, but these are abnormal conditions and they need to step up to the plate and keep their customers informed.

I greatly appreciate your response. The chip list is particularly interesting. Have a great day!
You are very welcome @Mike50 . Please don't let this situation get you "majorly upset". It's not worth it. Ford is a 250 + Billion dollar company. I promise you they know exactly what they are doing, right or wrong, and are not in a state of mass confusion. Like someone mentioned above, they are a FOR PROFIT company and their actions will reflect what they think is best for the board of directors and the stock holders they report to. Maximizing profits in a challenging environment.

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia
For the record I can't put any stock in the site which is displaying this chip information. Mine shows 4 chips as null. Another truck sitting on my dealer's lot shows 3. Clearly what that site displays and what it means for delivery are not closely connected.

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
For the record I can't put any stock in the site which is displaying this chip information. Mine shows 4 chips as null. Another truck sitting on my dealer's lot shows 3. Clearly what that site displays and what it means for delivery are not closely connected.
You are correct in the fact that you cannot use that site to determine when the chips are installed. My guess is that what you are seeing is a report from when the truck rolled off the line.

OP
OP

Mike50

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Sponsored