Sponsored

which 2(or 3?) transfer case models are used in our trucks?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
That is a thought. I just dont trust anyone anymore.. Ive had such bad luck before
Sponsored

OP
OP
tc429

tc429

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 lariat chrome 3.5 - 2022 lariat sport 3.5
@tc429 This was said earlier by @Tomatoboy , but there's been a lot said between then and now so it might be good to bring it back.

I believe the standard ESOF Transfer case is the Borg Warner 4419. This electrically shifts between 2H-4H-4L, locking each speed with dogs.

According to THIS ARTICLE, the "4A" transfer case is the Borg Warner 4417. This is the Torque-on-Demand system illustrated here:

New for 2021 was the 4A-Hi-Lock in the Raptor, and the Tremor 402A. This is a blend of the 2 above cases, with 4a function using the clutch, and 4H and 4L using locking dogs.

This change actaully happened for 22. 21s were built with E-IWEs for some reason.

100%, cuz I own one. Thread on another board about it. It actually came up because someone tried to install a TOD Hi-Lock and ran into...

...the fact that the Tremors and Raptors seem to still have them. He had to install e-IWEs and just has them up in his engine bay so the TCCM would stop throwing a code.

I asked someone who just took delivery of their Tremor what he saw when he just did his level, but he has yet to get back. The theory is there's something about the Hi-Lock that makes the E-IWEs important. Maybe to do with the T-Case needing to lock up before the wheel hubs, which you can't do if the wheels are permanently locked?

There's a large thread on f150forum.com. It's actually really simple, about as plug and play as you can get. It's pretty spread out, though, so I'm sure Jesse will do a better job laying it out.
thank you- maybe I'm just dense about how to search, but all that info had eluded me- your post clarified all of it!!!

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
...maybe I'm just dense about how to search, but all that info had eluded me...
Not at all, it’s pretty hard to find pretty much any factual information anymore from either the manufacturers, or other sources. Ford’s goofy Raptor R video is a perfect example of where the industry has gone wrong:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/raptor-r-scary-fast.11710/

It’s not helped by the fallacious rhetoric that arises when the 4A is mentioned on the other forums. The thread devolves into anecdotes about how the poster was delivering diphtheria vaccine during the winter of ‘36 in a Model-T with one broken axle and welded spider gears and all you need for traction is your pet goat standing over the only tire with power going to it!

I think that of all the changes from 2021 to 2022, the subject that has gotten the most action is Ford ditching the LED display on the climate control knobs.

Motor Trend describing Borg Warner Torque On Demand for Ford: (back in 2012 for the F150 Ecoboost)

The Torque-On-Demand system utilizes an ECU (electronic control unit) that monitors steering wheel angle and pedal position to predict slip and automatically deliver the precise proportion of torque to the front or rear axle.
...and hedge against the possibility of wheelspin. Just like you said - it anticipates it so it doesn’t have to engage once the wheels spin
The more I think about it, it’s almost the opposite and the solution that would make the most sense but wasn’t economically viable for the first gen. TOD TCs; Rather than anticipating wheel spin, or traction problems it’s anticipating the driveline wind up and low speed parking issues that make Part Time 4X4 an issue for dry pavement. With power instantly available in as many circumstances as possible. Though that doesn’t sound as sexy in the press release.

One of the things that I have to add though, is that it might not even be better because off-road, in snow, ice and to a lesser extent perfectly dry and sticky pavement; you actually get the best tractive force with a certain percentage of wheel slip. It’s why the early ABS sucked so badly and a decent driver could outbrake the ABS on at least dry pavement.

This change actaully happened for 22. 21s were built with E-IWEs for some reason.

...The theory is there's something about the Hi-Lock that makes the E-IWEs important. Maybe to do with the T-Case needing to lock up before the wheel hubs, which you can't do if the wheels are permanently locked?
That makes the most sense; the ESOF motor isn’t particularly strong and isn’t synchronized with anything in at least my two vehicles and while that’s fine when you have a physical shift linkage that you can both apply a lot of force, in addition to being able to feel when the dogs are lined up and ready to engage versus crashing them. With the regular part-time transfer case as well as the new Hi-Lock case when in 4H/4L, they don’t have the luxury of a multi plate clutch to smooth the transition, so need the IWEs. I wonder how much trouble it would save to ditch the IWEs on the part time case and return to a physical linkage like pretty much every 4X4 pickup back in the day? Though maybe people have forgotten how to shift even a transfer case.

So the 2021 non Hi-Lock TOD transfer case trucks have IWEs but the 2022s and later don’t?

I had to stop reading the thread on the other forum when people started complaining about their front differentials wearing out without the integrated wheel ends.

Also, has anyone taken apart the new IWEs? I heard that they were electromagnetic like an AC clutch but I have also seen mentioned that they have a motor that operates a cam.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
So the 2021 non Hi-Lock TOD transfer case trucks have IWEs but the 2022s and later don’t?
Seems to be. Snakebitten shared his 21 TOD truck had them.

I had to stop reading the thread on the other forum when people started complaining about their front differentials wearing out without the integrated wheel ends.
That freakin board, man...

But I should revisit that thread and ask about that guys experience now using the permanent hubs with the Hi-Lock, and what 4H shifting is like.

Also, has anyone taken apart the new IWEs? I heard that they were electromagnetic like an AC clutch but I have also seen mentioned that they have a motor that operates a cam.
The guy to ask would probably be the one who did the Hi-Lock swap on the other board, since his are just sitting in a bag in his engine bay :LOL:

Sponsored

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I had a local, family owned transmission shop install mine for $225 in my XLT. Worth every single penny to have someone else do it...
Wish I could find someone in west Michigan that can do the swap.

John861

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
A word of caution if anyone swaps in TOD with 4H Lock transfer case into their ESOF trucks. The ESOF and standard TOD transfer cases are the same length, but the TOD with 4H Lock is about 24mm (nearly an inch) longer. This could require a new driveshaft as well. For my truck it did.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Man I'm so confused after reading this thread. What's an IWE? My 22 built in June has ESOF and e locker. Anything to know about these in terms of durability?

John861

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
IWE stands for Integrated Wheel End. Basically it is a modern version of the old school hub lock. When the IWE's are engaged, the axle shaft is connected to the hub. This allows the transfer case to power the front wheels (after the transfer case engages the front output of course). The IWE's are disengaged in 2 wheel drive to improve fuel economy. This allows the axle and front driveshaft to remain stationary instead of being spun by the wheels.

All ESOF trucks have IWE's. In pre-2021 trucks, the IWE's were vacuum controlled. A spring was always pushing the locking collar to the engaged side, and vacuum was applied to overcome the spring pressure and allow them to disengage in 2H. The 2021 and newer trucks have electric IWE instead of vacuum. There have been some concerns with the durability of these, as is often the case with new technology.

TOD trucks (with the possible exception of Tremor and Raptor) deleted the IWEs mid-2021 model year. The reasons for this aren't entirely clear. My personal opinion is that IWEs are not as effective for fuel economy with the TOD transfer case. There is still a 2H mode, but the multiplate clutch in the TOD has significant parasitic drag so it is pretty common for the front driveshaft to spin (although slower than road speed). Given the cost of the IWE and the reduced benefit for fuel economy, Ford may have chosen to delete them.

Sponsored

John861

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
And to more broadly answer your question, the ESOF is very durable. It is simple technology and not prone to break. The e-locker (locking rear axle differential) is also very durable. No need to worry about these. The IWE is the only piece of the 4x4 system that is new and less proven. The TSB for TOD units details how to disable them, so if you end up with a failure outside of warranty you can choose to disable them (permanently lock them) if you are willing to sacrifice a little fuel economy in 2H.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
TOD trucks (with the possible exception of Tremor and Raptor) deleted the IWEs mid-2021 model year.
FTFY. 😉

I think they're kept in case the T-case gets stuck in locked 4h and you need to drive on the street. Regular TOD can't get stuck with a locked mechanical connection.

A word of caution if anyone swaps in TOD with 4H Lock transfer case into their ESOF trucks. The ESOF and standard TOD transfer cases are the same length, but the TOD with 4H Lock is about 24mm (nearly an inch) longer. This could require a new driveshaft as well. For my truck it did.
Do you have a 145"?

savage250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2020 F350, 2020 Bullitt, 2020 Aviator
I have a 2022 Lariat so I know I have the clutch plate 4H, but when I shift to 4L I do hear a mechanical clunk from below the truck. Does that mean it is still mechanically locking in 4L?

John861

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
FTFY. 😉

I think they're kept in case the T-case gets stuck in locked 4h and you need to drive on the street. Regular TOD can't get stuck with a locked mechanical connection.

Do you have a 145"?
Yes on the 145", and max tow with the larger axle may make it worse. And no on the the reason for IWE on mechanical lock trucks. Ford has offered ESOF trucks in the past with no axle disconnect mechanism. Ranger did that for part of the previous generation. If the transfer case gets stuck, you can easily drive on pavement without breaking anything. It isn't great for tires and U-joints, but it will get you where you need to go.

I have a 2022 Lariat so I know I have the clutch plate 4H, but when I shift to 4L I do hear a mechanical clunk from below the truck. Does that mean it is still mechanically locking in 4L?
The noise you hear engaging 4L is most likely the shift mechanism for the planetary gears shifting from high range to low range. I don't think the standard TOD has the capability of locking in 4L although I have not confirmed. Someone else may know better.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
And no on the the reason for IWE on mechanical lock trucks. Ford has offered ESOF trucks in the past with no axle disconnect mechanism. Ranger did that for part of the previous generation. If the transfer case gets stuck, you can easily drive on pavement without breaking anything. It isn't great for tires and U-joints, but it will get you where you need to go.
That's a confident "no" there. If you've got some inside information, don't bury the lede. Otherwise, I'm willing to entertain any other reason Ford left the IWEs on the Hi-lock trucks, but I haven't heard anything else that makes sense. There's "it probably won't hurt anything" and engineering "we need to make sure it doesn't."

F150s have had IWEs since 2004 straight, haven't they?
Sponsored