Sponsored

Where is the promised trailer tow OTA update?

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
Pro Trailer Backup Assist works just fine with the yaw sensor that come with my truck, but all year we have been waiting for a promised OTA software update that would enable the use of stickers instead. Whatever happened to that?
Sponsored

Blinky

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
I'm waiting for it as well. I'm guessing they are are bundling it up into that Blue Cruise OTA update that is pushed back to next year. I wonder if a dealer could update the truck with the latest updates that are currently on newer built trucks? As Job 2 trucks didn't ship with the sensor (from what I've seen) and assume the stickers work on them. Though I haven't seen confirmation of that.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I'm waiting for it as well. I'm guessing they are are bundling it up into that Blue Cruise OTA update that is pushed back to next year. I wonder if a dealer could update the truck with the latest updates that are currently on newer built trucks? As Job 2 trucks didn't ship with the sensor (from what I've seen) and assume the stickers work on them. Though I haven't seen confirmation of that.
You are correct, mine came with the stickers.

OP
OP
Cobra427

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
You are correct, mine came with the stickers.
Well, mine, delivered 2/3/21, came with stickers, too. Has anybody with a later build actually tried the stickers?

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ
Occupation
Ford service manager
Well, mine, delivered 2/3/21, came with stickers, too. Has anybody with a later build actually tried the stickers?
My late build came with about a half-dozen stickers.
I have never used the system, but I plan to.
Last time I towed with a truck that had it, it wasn't my truck, so I didn't bother taking the time to set it up.

Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I used to have a CDL, so I'm used to using just my side mirrors, but I'm interested in setting this up on our TT when we get the truck in the next month or so just to see how it works.

OP
OP
Cobra427

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
I'm kind of old school myself, but I was really impressed with the backup system in one respect, and it wasn't the screen, which I don't use either.

When you turn the knob to get the trailer to turn, then release the knob, the system makes small steering corrections to hold the path you chose, whether straight or curved. The system never lets the trailer get off the course you pick.

When I calibrated my yaw sensor, I had a blast in my church's parking lot picking a curve for the trailer and watching the system turn the steering wheel in small increments to hold that path.

When you get the OTA, try it with the stickers, you might enjoy it.

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
I bought mine off a dealer lot on 2/5/21 and it didn't; come with stickers, just the plastic box that houses the sensors. What's the advantage to stickers over the box? Just that its easier to have multiple trailers that can all use the system?

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I bought mine off a dealer lot on 2/5/21 and it didn't; come with stickers, just the plastic box that houses the sensors. What's the advantage to stickers over the box? Just that its easier to have multiple trailers that can all use the system?
I think the box was suppose to replace the sticker, but with supply shortages they brought the stickers back. I think they'd make more money off the boxes so I like the sticker idea if you have multiple trailers.

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ
Occupation
Ford service manager
Are you SURE you didn’t get stickers? They’d be in the back pocket of a supplemental manual in the glove box.

Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I've got the stickers, I'm going to give it a go this Sunday. Pretty sure my truck already has the update since it has Bluecruise already.
I'm going to give mine a try this coming weekend. Just going to set everything up on my pop-up camper. Luckily I have a school parking lot across the road.

OP
OP
Cobra427

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
I've got the stickers, I'm going to give it a go this Sunday. Pretty sure my truck already has the update since it has Bluecruise already.
How did it go?

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I setup the pro trailer backup assist for my pop-up camper this morning with the stickers. I have a build 2 Lariat. A couple things:

1. Make sure your camera is clean when doing the setup.
2. Find an empty school or church parking lot to do the slow driving and turning to setup the pro backup.
3. There's many more camera options when backing a trailer that you don't get in the regular backup camera settings.
4. The stickers were easy to install. I'd almost rather just use those in the future.

I probably drove around 10 minutes before realizing the backup camera was a little dirty, only took a few minutes after that. I didn't get a huge chance to test the pro trailer backup. Seems to be pretty good at holding a straight line backing up.

I live on a busy rode where there's a turning lane in front of my house. I tried once with the pro backup and really didn't feel comfortable with it, comfort will probably come with time. I'm a pretty good backer and can back in my driveway pretty quick. I think it'll be great for backing into camping spots.

Now I want the tire monitor and camera for the trailer (if or when they become available.)
Sponsored