Sponsored

where do you keep your keys when camping?

azDcab21

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost/FX4
Newbie question. This is my first vehicle with a "key fob" that senses the key to unlock the doors. Where do you all put your keys when tent camping? How far do you have to be so the doors don't unlock when you grab the handle?
Sponsored

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
When I went camping by the lake, i left the keys in a safe place inside the cabins and then when i needed it, I opened the truck with the code. I would keep it on your jeans or shorts, i think you need to be VERY close to the door in order to open. I havent tested it, but I assume 3-6 feet?

Sponsored

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
I sleep in my tent right next to the truck 10 feet+-, and keep keys in my tent. So far no issues.
Just need to get used to all the crap coming on ie lights, chimes, when you need to unlock and get into truck at night. hmm just went outside and tested it 10', 6'+- keys on ground and it wont unlock, 4' +- and it did. Will remember this camping this Fri n Sat night. Thanks I didn't even think of this. You can test this yourself when you set up camp before you go to sleep. Far side of tent is usually pretty far away. I suppose truck bed tent or rack top overland hotel suite and you need the faraday cage or a hanging bear box. Or if you snooze in the cab or back seat. hmm now I see the brilliance of this thread. Like occasional stay in black bear country I have slept inside other vehicles. Wonder if bear claws would unlock the door... that would suck ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
azDcab21

azDcab21

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost/FX4
I sleep in my tent right next to the truck 10 feet+-, and keep keys in my tent. So far no issues.
Just need to get used to all the crap coming on ie lights, chimes, when you need to unlock and get into truck at night. hmm just went outside and tested it 10', 6'+- keys on ground and it wont unlock, 4' +- and it did. Will remember this camping this Fri n Sat night. Thanks I didn't even think of this. You can test this yourself when you set up camp before you go to sleep. Far side of tent is usually pretty far away. I suppose truck bed tent or rack top overland hotel suite and you need the faraday cage or a hanging bear box. Or if you snooze in the cab or back seat. hmm now I see the brilliance of this thread. Like occasional stay in black bear country I have slept inside other vehicles. Wonder if bear claws would unlock the door... that would suck ?
yeah, a bear opening the door, that would for sure suck..... thanks for the input. I suppose you need to be pretty brave to break into a truck when a guy is sleeping in a tent 10' away, but I never doubt the stupidity of a theft.

Boosted

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost XLT Supercrew 302A
Occupation
Project Manager
Just discovered that if I put my fob in a small soup can (no lid) the truck won't unlock. If I unlock the truck and then put the keys in the can, it won't start even though the can in in the cab. Fob must have a pretty weak signal. I'll have to experiement more because that's an incomplete faraday cage. Its not supposed to work. Tin foil wrap works pretty good too and will even shield the fob if the buttons are pressed.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Remote lock & unlock and remote start works out to 100 yards...
Yes, but I think his concern was sleeping in his tent (close enough by the truck) with his Fob in the tent and thinking the doors are locked. But the Fob is close enough that if anyone pulled on the door it would unlock.

In general I need to be within about 18" (if FOB in my right jeans pocket and I'm turned with my right side away from the truck it doesn't work, I have to turn and face the truck standing in front of the door handle).

Anyway, a quick "faraday cage" I've used is Fob wrapped in small piece of Aluminum Foil and then in an Altoids Tin (the breath mint that comes in the metal box).

Sponsored

SILVERBULLET69

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
YOUR GLOVE BOX LIGHT IS ON
Just leave the fob in the truck and use the key pad. My truck won’t open w fob in it and doors locked and me standing on the outside. I have to use the keypad to get in or the phone app ( use mostly). I rarely carry the fob anywhere

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Just leave the fob in the truck and use the key pad. My truck won’t open w fob in it and doors locked and me standing on the outside. I have to use the keypad to get in or the phone app ( use mostly). I rarely carry the fob anywhere
There was some discussion (rumors?) that leaving a Fob inside the truck for long periods would run the Fob battery down faster, as the Fob and truck were continually "talking". Not sure, as on one hand I would think the Fob would only "power up" when you press a button on it asking it to do something. But on the other hand the truck definitely knows when the Fob leaves the interior, without pressing any Fob buttons. So maybe it does ping it continuously....?

SILVERBULLET69

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
YOUR GLOVE BOX LIGHT IS ON
There was some discussion (rumors?) that leaving a Fob inside the truck for long periods would run the Fob battery down faster, as the Fob and truck were continually "talking". Not sure, as on one hand I would think the Fob would only "power up" when you press a button on it asking it to do something. But on the other hand the truck definitely knows when the Fob leaves the interior, without pressing any Fob buttons. So maybe it does ping it continuously....?

Good to know. It'll be almost a year here in may so i'll stash a battery in the glove box.
Just in case.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
I leave my fob in the truck at ALL TIMES. I can use FordPass and the keypad to unlock the truck.

With the key in the center cubby under the radio it is too far from the doors to activate the proximity sensor to allow the doors to unlock.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Wouldn’t need to press a button to wake it up as that would defeat the purpose of it being passive. I never touch my fob, it’s always in my pocket. Once I’m within ~8 feet of the truck, the lights come on and grabbing the door handle unlocks it
Sponsored