Sponsored

When Towing a Car Hauler with Vehicle... Help Me Better Understand!

motivology

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum Powerstroke
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur
I would like to get a better understanding of the actual weight of the vehicle I'm towing.

It is my understanding the GVWR includes the payload weight. If you tow a truck with nothing loaded in the bed of the truck - you go by the curb weight of the truck (total weight of the truck), correct?

For example - I have a childhood 2001 Ford F150 Harley Davidson project truck I'm fixing up (see below). The GVWR is 6,600 lbs and the curb weight is 4,644 lbs (source: Via Edmunds). In this case, if I am towing my HD truck with nothing in the bed - by my calculations:

It would be 4,644 lbs + total trailer weight = total towing weight. Is that how it works? Again, I am looking to get a better understanding when it comes to towing. Last thing I'd want to do is overload the towing cap of the towing truck.

I'd appreciate your advice and tips/tricks when it comes to towing.

Thanks!
-DK

PS. I know we all love pictures of our truck so here is my 2001 F150 Harley Davidson truck. Currently does not have the correct front bumper but I have one in storage.
Ford F-150 When Towing a Car Hauler with Vehicle... Help Me Better Understand! IMG_9341
Sponsored

zacko11288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet
Occupation
Engineering
Would love to see before and after pictures when your done with the restoration! Following

OP
OP
motivology

motivology

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur
Would love to see before and after pictures when your done with the restoration! Following
Thanks! I won't be working on it for a while as I have to sell two trucks as well as help my family clean up the warehouse. I will have a build thread on F150Forum.com when the time comes.

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I would like to get a better understanding of the actual weight of the vehicle I'm towing.

It is my understanding the GVWR includes the payload weight. If you tow a truck with nothing loaded in the bed of the truck - you go by the curb weight of the truck (total weight of the truck), correct?

For example - I have a childhood 2001 Ford F150 Harley Davidson project truck I'm fixing up (see below). The GVWR is 6,600 lbs and the curb weight is 4,644 lbs (source: Via Edmunds). In this case, if I am towing my HD truck with nothing in the bed - by my calculations:

It would be 4,644 lbs + total trailer weight = total towing weight. Is that how it works? Again, I am looking to get a better understanding when it comes to towing. Last thing I'd want to do is overload the towing cap of the towing truck.

Thanks!
-DK

PS. I know we all love pictures of our truck so here is my 2001 F150 Harley Davidson truck. Currently does not have the correct front bumper but I have one in storage.
IMG_9341.jpg
GVWR is total weight of truck plus payload. In your case you can carry approx 2000 lbs payload. GCWR is combined truck plus trailer. Ex. 16600 GCWR is truck fully loaded [6600 lb] plus 10000 lb trailer. You should not exceed your Gross Combined Weight Rating . Hope this helps.

Sponsored

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB 701A MT FX4
Occupation
VP of IT
GVWR is total weight of truck plus payload. In your case you can carry approx 2000 lbs payload. GCWR is combined truck plus trailer. Ex. 16600 GCWR is truck fully loaded [6600 lb] plus 10000 lb trailer. You should not exceed your Gross Combined Weight Rating . Hope this helps.
My 2nd Ford, Nice truck. I have one just like yours.

OP
OP
motivology

motivology

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
My advice is that if you think you may be bumping-up against your tow-vehicle's weight limits, head to a CAT (or other) public scale and get the true total and tongue weights of your loaded-for-travel trailer.

Empty trailer weights provided by manufacturers may be hyped for advertising advantage; general published vehicle weights (e.g. Edmunds for your restored HD F150, your load in this case) may not accurately reflect options installed at the factory and certainly will not reflect any mods or aftermarket accessories.

With a car or truck on a trailer you have the luxury of being able to tweak its position slightly to ensure you have at least 10% of the total loaded trailer weight on the hitch (assuming it's a bumper-pull trailer, that's what you want minimum for best / safe towing).

Just for your consideration, Happy Towing!

Last edited:
OP
OP
motivology

motivology

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur
My advice is that if you think you may be bumping-up against your tow-vehicle's weight limits, head to a CAT (or other) public scale and get the true total and tongue weights of your loaded-for-travel trailer.

Empty trailer weights provided by manufacturers may be hyped for advertising advantage; general published vehicle weights (e.g. Edmunds for your restored HD F150, your load in this case) may not accurately reflect options installed at the factory and certainly will not reflect any mods or aftermarket accessories.

With a car or truck on a trailer you have the luxury of being able to tweak its position slightly to ensure you have at least 10% of the total loaded trailer weight on the hitch (assuming it's a bumper-pull trailer, that's what you want minimum for best / safe towing).

Just for your consideration, Happy Towing!
That is a very good advise - great point about the trailer weights being hyped for MFG's advertising. I need to find CAT/public scale in my area to determine its true weight. That would clear a lot of things up.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
A trip to a local CAT scale will provide the weights on all axles and you can also estimate the load on the hitch to be sure its capacity is not exceeded. Take the truck with the trailer empty and then load the vehicle on the trailer and make a second trip to the CAT scale. In my area they will do a free re-weigh on the same day as many commercial truckers do this to know the weight of the load they are hauling down the highway and avoid problems with the law officers.

Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
Any truck stop along a Interstate will have the scales

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
You have the basic understanding down, it looks like. The only additional thing that you might need to keep in mind is that the 4644 listed curb weight is with original equipment, and without add-ons. It sounds like you're working on restoring the vehicle, so some of the replacement parts could have different weights than the OEMs (for example, replacement tires are likely to be different weights). And if non-factory options like a bedliner or tonneau cover have been added, that would also increase the weight of the vehicle. But in general, if you're looking for a ballpark total trailer weight, it'll likely be your bolded calculation, plus or minus a few hundred pounds to account for vehicle modifications. That trailer weight, plus the tow vehicle's curb weight, plus passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle, need to be less than the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR) listed in your tow vehicle's owner's manual.

Additionally, you'll probably be putting 10-15% of that total trailer weight onto the tow vehicle's hitch point. That 10-15% figure, in addition to passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle, need to be less than the tow vehicle's payload rating (from the yellow sticker).

Last edited:

Blueonblue

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT Contractor
Go to a CAT scale and pay the $13. Pull just your truck onto the scale leaving the trailer axels off the scale pad. That is your GVW. Not your GVWR, that is your max. Adjust your hitch so you're under GVWR. Should be about 10-15% of your trailer weight.

Usually there is noone at the CAT scales so you can play around and weigh everything independently if you want. Just change which tires are on the scale.