When to use weight distribution hitch ?

RocketFistMooga

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Sport Powerboost.
Could someone point me to a definitive guide on when to use a weight distribution hitch? As far as I know f150s should use a weight distribution hitch when the trailer is over 5000 pounds or the tongue weight is over 500. But that said I see videos on TFL (or other YouTube channels) of them breaking this rule. See trailers out in the wild that are definitely over 5000 pounds with no weight distribution hitch. I spend time trying to find a definitive answer but went in circles. What do you all do? Appreciate it.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I don't know what the hard and fast physics are, but I have used a WDH on a trailer that the truck could have pulled safely without.
But I couldn't deny that the WDH benefit still applied, so the ~4500 lbs loaded trailer was much more well behaved with the proper portion of weight returned to the front axle.

A 1/2 ton truck with the proper (normal) weight on the front end simply handles superior.

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB 502A
Occupation
Builder
I tow two different dump trailers that weigh 5500 empty. Mostly job site rubbish, so only 1-2k more when loaded. But sometimes more. I always use a WDH and it handles so much better. Moving them around the site feels really awkward without those bars doing their job.

It's worth noting I also have a 2017 F150 that I occasionally use to pull those same trailers. The 2021 feels so much better and I don't think it's just in my head. They both have the max tow package. Whatever the Ford changed on the suspension on the new generation made a huge difference.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The hitch has a sticker that says 5k/500, in the towing guides the powerboost is rated to tow 7k non WDH due to its heavier weight.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
While there’s really no definitive guide because it seems like everyone has different ideas on the matter; you can find PDFs and other information from hitch manufacturers and vendors.

Here’s an introductory overview from eTrailer:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

Traditionally, WDH are used to level the truck and prevent going over the rear GAWR.

They may also mitigate trailer sway and help with improving your ride quality.

However, with the factory hitch, which isn’t at all as advertised when it comes to load carrying; I feel that it’s a CYA move by Ford.

A standard Class IV hitch should be good for 1,000lbs tongue weight conventionally and 1,200lbs weight distributing.

Ford’s factory hitch is more closely described as Class III-IV which is a screwy in-between category.

The 500lb threshold is especially screwy if you have a 3,500lb trailer and you want to run 15% tongue weight. You would wind up busting the hitch rating by 25lbs. So then to compensate for that your supposed to add a 100lb WDH as dead weight? 🤪

That’s why usually you have at least 800lbs of tongue weight before hitch manufacturers require WDH and in some, it’s up to 1,000lbs of weight carrying.

Also, last I checked; this is a hitch rating, not a truck rating. So if you were to install an aftermarket hitch, then you are bound by the sticker on that as long as you stay within your truck’s GAWRs and GCWR.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford’s factory hitch is more closely described as Class III-IV which is a screwy in-between category.
Ford and firestone had a helluva legal case/s against them due to people not taking care of their vehicles properly. The hitch assembly is quite robust, easily class 4. They go way overboard in regards to how they classify it because 1, the F150 is extremely popular and 2, there's no telling what weight is in the front of the truck and its wheelbase. Is it a small aluminum motor 2WD truck or is it a 4WD powerboost that has another 1klbs on its front tires? As such they end up making a mess of the numbers in general so that someone with a stripped barebones short cab short wheelbase doesn't end up doing something the truck can't manage.

That and they'd rather you buy a 250 so they can milk you of even more money. If you want to see some hilarity, go compare a small 2wd 250 to any of the heavier models like the PB. It's pretty funny when you get down to seeing the towing specs. 12klb bumper pull okay on a 6klb truck.

OP
OP
RocketFistMooga

RocketFistMooga

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The hitch has a sticker that says 5k/500, in the towing guides the powerboost is rated to tow 7k non WDH due to its heavier weight.
Could you point me to where it says that? UPDATE: Ok so mine is a 2022 not 2021 but I just looked and the 2022 guide still has the exact same hitch receiver capacity. If the hitch rating only goes up to 5000 weight carrying how could you get away with going up to 7000?
Ford F-150 When to use weight distribution hitch ? 73D309AE-5C19-4D47-AB53-DFE5533539F4

Ford F-150 When to use weight distribution hitch ? B7C9D143-46C6-4AAD-9867-64F23B7E7452

Last edited:
OP
OP
RocketFistMooga

RocketFistMooga

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
After reading this it seams to indicate that you should not exceed 5000 pounds without a weight distribution hitch. And as described, this table matches the sticker on my hitch. I guess I can deduce that those exceeding this rating are doing it wrong.
Ford F-150 When to use weight distribution hitch ? A8116894-5542-49FF-BE76-C558BA7ECA56

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Could you point me to where it says that? UPDATE: Ok so mine is a 2022 not 2021 but I just looked and the 2022 guide still has the exact same hitch receiver capacity. If the hitch rating only goes up to 5000 weight carrying how could you get away with going up to 7000?
By their outlandish claims about the mass they say trailer brakes come into the picture. They all have the same brakes on the trucks, and the heavier ones get the bump - significant bumps. There are no other limitations to the trucks.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Somewhere there’s a thread that people uploaded the stickers on their factory hitch receivers. Some have even lower ratings; no doubt influenced by the configuration and trim of the truck from the factory.

Here it is: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/upgrading-the-hitch-worth-it.14240/

The aftermarket Class IV are all higher, though they have no ability to change any of the payload capabilities of what they’re bolted to; same with a WDH.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I will take into account the length of the trip and frequency when deciding whether or not to use a WD/AS hitch. If I'm towing 6000lbs. 20 miles once then no. 6000lb RV across the country then yes.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
After reading this it seams to indicate that you should not exceed 5000 pounds without a weight distribution hitch. And as described, this table matches the sticker on my hitch. I guess I can deduce that those exceeding this rating are doing it wrong.
A8116894-5542-49FF-BE76-C558BA7ECA56.jpeg
I think that you answered your own question about when Ford says you should. Beyond that, I agree with @Snakebitten that there’s no hard and fast rule about when you should—a 5000lb travel trailer will tow very differently than a 5000lb boat trailer or a 5000lb flatbed trailer.

The point of a weight distribution hitch is to add torque to the hitch point to counteract the “V” shape you may get in the profile of a truck-trailer combination when putting a large load on the extreme rear of the truck. If set up properly, the WDH will straighten the hitch point back out, which will have the effect of the front axle of the truck and the trailer axles carrying a greater share of the tongue weight than without it.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
wdh also transfer weight to the front tires and help to level out vehicle when properly set up.
PROPERLY
lots of folks pull 800 lbs on the tongue and no WDH
but the reality is wdh transfers weight to front which enhances steering and control and also helps in the realm of wiggly trailers , SWAY to and FRO out of control.
ad in sway control devices and proper tongue weight, trailers pull very very safe
i have used wdh on f350 crew cab dually to load front tires and take some off the rear.
truck felt planted and controlled
my other trucks did as well
but my point is even a big asss dually crew cab benefited greatly from wdh set up PROPERLY
search you tube and reese or husky tons of proper info out there .
you also see rv delivery pickups never using wdh and they are wiggly and nose high..
uncontrolled wigglyness witha loaded trailer is not a good thing ever. crap can go from fun to OHSHIIIIIIT real fast .
loss of weight on front tires makes it worse really fast, so we have wdh

and weight bars should match the expected tongue weight as well

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
The plus side of using a wdh, besides what has already been described is that you won't blind oncoming traffic at night. Or at least you shouldn't, if set up correctly. ;)
Sponsored