Sponsored

When do you think 5.0 Liter Coyote V8 production will end?

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
When do you folks think Ford will end production of the 5.0 V8? I know Toyota had already ended their 5.7 and Ram is fixing to end their 5.7 Hemi.
I’m curious to know what you folks think..
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Gen 15 for the F150, whenever that happens

(WAG)

Farmerj

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2020 (2023)
Probably never unless they put out a flex fuel Ecoboost

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
In my opinion, Ford could probably get rid of both the 3.3 and 5.0 now based on good reliability numbers of the newer generation turbo engines.

In my mind, offering only 4 choices... a 2.7 EcoBoost, 2.7 Powerboost, 3.5 Ecoboost, and 3.5 Powerboost would be an adequate enough selection, with 2.7 Ecoboost being the new base engine. A 2.7 Powerboost should be the next new engine.

The only thing I'm not sure of is how do you replace the 5.0 when I think it is the only engine for a snow plow option and a little better payload. My guess is the SuperDuty, which is probably a better choice for snow plowing anyway. As far as v8 sound goes...some will never want that sound to go away, but I am happier with a faster truck that has a quieter interior.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I know Toyota had already ended their 5.7 and Ram is fixing to end their 5.7 Hemi.
You're looking at two older powerplants there, even if only by a few years. They also did not get much development beyond their original spec, but the Coyote keeps getting updated and refined, and currently does more with less cc.

I think there's still a lot of life left in the Coyote. Despite also underpinning the Mustang, Ford has already gone on record about knowing that for towing ICE is still king for a while, and that's why they aren't even looking at EV SuperDuty (But they are looking at fuel cell for fleet).

I think the 3.5EB would be on the block before the Coyote. I'm all in on a 3.0 PowerNanoBoost from the Aviator.

Sponsored

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
In my opinion, Ford could probably get rid of both the 3.3 and 5.0 now based on good reliability numbers of the newer generation turbo engines.

In my mind, offering only 4 choices... a 2.7 EcoBoost, 2.7 Powerboost, 3.5 Ecoboost, and 3.5 Powerboost would be an adequate enough selection, with 2.7 Ecoboost being the new base engine. A 2.7 Powerboost should be the next new engine.

The only thing I'm not sure of is how do you replace the 5.0 when I think it is the only engine for a snow plow option and a little better payload. My guess is the SuperDuty, which is probably a better choice for snow plowing anyway. As far as v8 sound goes...some will never want that sound to go away, but I am happier with a faster truck that has a quieter interior.
3.3 is needed for fleet trucks. Delivery vehicles, U-Haul rentals and that 8' box loaner truck you see parked at Menards or Home Depot. Consumers don't buy it but it would be a huge mistake to axe it.

The 5.0 exists because today because of the Mustang GT. They need each other and if the Stang was going away like the Camaro I highly doubt the 14th gen would have the option.

The flip side is Ford wants to continue to claim best selling truck and if they drop the V8 and GM doesn't, that would chew into sales some.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
the refreshed Mustang will run to 2028 or longer so the engine will be available as long as people want I I would suspect.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I love the 5.0, but admit it's days may be numbered. If I was put in charge of Ford's engine choices, I would offer just three choices: 3.3 NA, 2.7 TT, and 3.5 TT. All would be Powerboost available.

Even with cylinder deactivation, which works great, the 5.0 can only manage 19 mpg overall and around town it's much lower. The 3.5 non-hybrid is the same or even a little worse. For really heavy towing, the 3.5 TT non-hybrid (with or without HDPP) can do anything the 5.0 can, albeit consuming a bit more fuel.

But to answer the original question, I agree Gen 15 may be the swan song for the Coyote.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Will not happen. V8 is iconic to the Mustang...which is very important to the Ford brand. They will never axe it.

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
Maybe the question should be whether the 5.0 will be axed for the F150 or not.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Not trying to be political or anything, but really depends on the next 1-2 administrations and their stance on things. If the continued push to "green" energy and EV's continues as hard as it is now then Ford will likely phase it out in when the next gen Mustang hits. If however Ford can figure out a way to drastically improve MPG it may be around for longer, but it like all ICE powered cars will eventually be a thing of the past. More and more states are jumping on the new ICE ban by 2035 nonsense. Sooner rather than later we'll be thinking joy joy feelings, snacking on crickets singing "I'm an Oscar Mayer Wiener" while happily waiting for 4-6 hours while our $200K EV charges...

Last edited:

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Maybe the question should be whether the 5.0 will be axed for the F150 or not.
I imagine the axing will coincide with the Mustang losing it too. Would be very surprised if they kept it around for the Mustang and dropped it from the F150, it's possible, but Ford loves engines that cross platforms, it makes sense financially for Ford (producing the same motor for multiple platforms is cheaper) and for the customer (more options).

I'd personally be surprised to see it happen before 2025, but I guarantee people will make it political even though EV sales have been growing exponentially regardless of who is in charge. 🤷‍♂️

Jaysonics

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0
I ordered and hopefully will have my first 5.0 F150 this week. Have had both the 3.5eb and 2.7eb. Although great engines, I pulled the trigger on the 5.0 due to needing a plow for my driveway. They will have to figure out something for the future for plow setups. I only plow my driveway and don't tow/haul so no need to bump up to a Super Duty. Hope that's not the case when I'm looking for my next truck!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I ordered and hopefully will have my first 5.0 F150 this week. Have had both the 3.5eb and 2.7eb. Although great engines, I pulled the trigger on the 5.0 due to needing a plow for my driveway. They will have to figure out something for the future for plow setups. I only plow my driveway and don't tow/haul so no need to bump up to a Super Duty. Hope that's not the case when I'm looking for my next truck!
The PB would have been a good alternative since it develops a lot more torque than the 5.0 does.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
I don't fear a V6 turbo anything, as long as its powerful and reliable. Tundra has turbo issues already, and I'm not scared of Ford 2.7, 3.5, but love the 5.0.

But in 2018 when I had my 485hp 392 Charger, no denying a good cold start in the garage on Sunday morning........... :)
Sponsored