What would you do?

hedge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F350
I think that the fact that you are considering helping them is admirable and speaks to your character but I agree with the rest that this should not be your problem.
Sponsored

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
I now buy my vehicles new and research them to the point of knowing more about them than the sales person. When I bought used trucks as a younger man I always checked if everything worked the way it should, especially the four wheel drive. Your buyer should have done the same. This problem is his but I commend you for trying to help him with HIS mistake. I hope all works out well for both of you.

PPK

First Name
PPK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 502A, 1947 CJ2A, WK2 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
This is the dilemma when selling to the public. You might get a few more bucks.. but you earn/worry your way to them. I use Carmax anymore to get rid of the old vehicles. good luck on closing this deal and you just have to move on.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
I think that the fact that you are considering helping them is admirable and speaks to your character but I agree with the rest that this should not be your problem.
agreed, if it didn't state 4x4 on ad, its on new buyer. He should make sure, its what he's wanting.

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
On 8/1 my new truck went into production, so I listed my current truck for sale (2014 F150 XLT Supercab RWD). On 8/22 I had a guy make me an offer. Because I didn't have my new truck yet we agreed that we'd wait for it to come in. He was getting a little antsy waiting for it the past couple of weeks, but it finally came in and I sold it to him today. It is a 2014 F150 Supercab. 10 minutes later he called because he couldn't find the 4WD.

The issue is it's not 4WD. I never made any claims that it was 4WD, or did anything to suggest it. When I made the sale I believed he knew it was 2WD. He had the right to inspect the vehicle, and I assumed that if it was important to him he would of asked.

He offered me $500 to undo the deal. By the time this happened the title was signed over, he had a bill of sale that indicated it was sold "as is", I had the license plates returned to the DMV, and I cancelled my insurance.

On one hand, he was willing to wait for 4 weeks to buy a truck that he believed he loved. He even paid asking price for it. I also never specified that it was 2wd. On the other hand, I told a dozen people over the past 4 weeks that it was sold, and I don't know if I'm willing to take the financial risk by undoing the deal Also, if I undo the sale I'm pretty sure I'll have to pay taxes and registration again. We live in Nebraska and the guy lives on a country road, 4WD is pretty important. I made the same mistake when I bought it, and ended up being just fine after 5 extra-snowy winters.

Would you undo the sale or just say its his loss? Or something else?
IMO he had four weeks to look at the truck and it really doesnt take much to inspect it to see if its 4wd or not. It s a tough call but he had the opportunity to see what he was buying

Sponsored

OP
OP

wesb2013

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2014 F150
There's no way I'll ever do a trade in.

I sold the truck for $5k more than the best dealer. Plus I had plenty of time to entertain offers before my new truck came in.

All my future trucks are going to be custom ordered so I have time to sell what I have and get substantially more than what I sell it for.

If you order through Granger and sell your truck private party I bet you'd come out $10k ahead.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I went through something similar and would not do it again. The buyer had a chance to inspect the truck before he bought it and 4WD is something that is very obvious. It is up to the new owner to sell it or use it as a trade-in for another truck.

SWFLGuy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Totally agree. If you’re buying a truck and won’t take the time to figure out exactly what you’re buying then it’s on you.
It’s pretty simple to find out if it’s 4x4

kenpitt

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150
Occupation
retired
On 8/1 my new truck went into production, so I listed my current truck for sale (2014 F150 XLT Supercab RWD). On 8/22 I had a guy make me an offer. Because I didn't have my new truck yet we agreed that we'd wait for it to come in. He was getting a little antsy waiting for it the past couple of weeks, but it finally came in and I sold it to him today. It is a 2014 F150 Supercab. 10 minutes later he called because he couldn't find the 4WD.

The issue is it's not 4WD. I never made any claims that it was 4WD, or did anything to suggest it. When I made the sale I believed he knew it was 2WD. He had the right to inspect the vehicle, and I assumed that if it was important to him he would of asked.

He offered me $500 to undo the deal. By the time this happened the title was signed over, he had a bill of sale that indicated it was sold "as is", I had the license plates returned to the DMV, and I cancelled my insurance.

On one hand, he was willing to wait for 4 weeks to buy a truck that he believed he loved. He even paid asking price for it. I also never specified that it was 2wd. On the other hand, I told a dozen people over the past 4 weeks that it was sold, and I don't know if I'm willing to take the financial risk by undoing the deal Also, if I undo the sale I'm pretty sure I'll have to pay taxes and registration again. We live in Nebraska and the guy lives on a country road, 4WD is pretty important. I made the same mistake when I bought it, and ended up being just fine after 5 extra-snowy winters.

Would you undo the sale or just say its his loss? Or something else?
I would undo the sale, it's going to leave a bad taste in your mouth if you don't.

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
There's no way I'll ever do a trade in.

I sold the truck for $5k more than the best dealer. Plus I had plenty of time to entertain offers before my new truck came in.

All my future trucks are going to be custom ordered so I have time to sell what I have and get substantially more than what I sell it for.

If you order through Granger and sell your truck private party I bet you'd come out $10k ahead.
The mistake was on HIM, not you. But remember, you got $5k more than a dealer offered you BECAUSE he thought it was a 4x4. The dealerships KNEW that it was not a 4x4 by the VIN. Any more, I think that most people think that most trucks are 4x4. That "MOST" makes it an assumption, and they should have asked. He was probably elated that he got such a good deal. Any deal that seems too good probably isn't.

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I now buy my vehicles new and research them to the point of knowing more about them than the sales person. When I bought used trucks as a younger man I always checked if everything worked the way it should, especially the four wheel drive.
Right? I play with all the buttons and features to make sure everything works while I'm looking at it.
For 4WD, I turn on the 4X in a parking lot and turn to see if it bunny hops.
Seeing a light come on doesn't guarantee it's engaging.

coyotemik

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 5.0
Occupation
IT Consultant
I would let him keep it. You would end up with an unplated uninsured vehicle, and that is a hassle to try and sell. Sounds like you are a good guy for even considering taking it back, but his mistake shouldn't become your migraine.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
You have no legal or moral obligation to buy back this truck due to the current owner's lack of due diligence. Don't feel any remorse for this.
Sponsored