Sponsored

What prompts the truck to enter deep sleep mode ?

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
What prompts the truck to enter deep sleep mode ? Is it battery state of charge , inactivity over a set period of time or a combination of both? I am away on vacation and the truck sits at home connected to a battery tender. I received a message on Ford pass that my truck has entered deep sleep mode and connectivity is temporarily unavailable. It's been approximately 2 weeks since we left . Thanks.
Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I think it’s both, either battery drain or inactivity for a while. I know when my truck was getting repaired that it entered deep sleep mode because they kept opening and closing the truck door.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
ahhh the question of the year
my truck will go to deep sleep in 5 or 6 days of if i dont drive it, open it etc
then sometimes it will go longer before i get the notice
i think there is alot of factors. like state of charge on battery when you shut off truck
obvious parasitic draws, like dash cams or ??
my 2021 f250 would do it in 3 to 6 days

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's programmed to go into deep sleep in order to prevent stranding you with a dead battery.
I'm sure the logic is more complicated than just a certain amount of time, but at the risk of oversimplification it is a matter of time and/or battery state that triggers it.

Not being in sleep mode means it is awake, and thus some degree of parasitic drain is in play. Just the FordPass remote start feature requires the TCU/modem to be on at the very least.

OP
OP
My 2ND Ford

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
It's programmed to go into deep sleep in order to prevent stranding you with a dead battery.
I'm sure the logic is more complicated than just a certain amount of time, but at the risk of oversimplification it is a matter of time and/or battery state that triggers it.

Not being in sleep mode means it is awake, and thus some degree of parasitic drain is in play. Just the FordPass remote start feature requires the TCU/modem to be on at the very least.
I understand the connectivity part, Ford Pass told me the only way to restore it was to manually open and start the truck. I thought that since the battery was on a tender, that maybe it wouldn't go into deep sleep. Maybe it is time of inactivity after all even with a fully charged battery, but possibly time is just one of the conditions to be met. Who knows!

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
You can increase the length of time before entering Deep Sleep by updating the 12v battery state of charge level with Forscan. OEM setting in BCM is 80%. Increasing it to 90-95% usually adds a full extra week before the truck enters Deep Sleep when not powered on or started.

Did this on my 20 Ranger during covid when it would enter deep sleep after 3-4 days of sitting. Changed it to 95% and it took almost 2.5 weeks to enter deep sleep after changing it. Made the same change on the PB and have not had a deep sleep alert yet.

sswalters

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Haven't done this myself, but interesting video on how to charge your battery so that the Battery Monitoring System recognizes the updated state of the battery.

I had a deep sleep mode happen due to a poor battery. Dealer replaced. But the video above states this is not uncommon to have battery drain and the truck turn off systems to preserve the battery. Shows where to put the negative lead so the systems notes the charge.
Sponsored