Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
If you’re driving gently and not averaging 21 or better something is wrong. when I’m trying I can hit 24 pretty easily.
Sponsored

jjblas

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G37s Infiniti
Occupation
Retired
If you’re driving gently and not averaging 21 or better something is wrong. when I’m trying I can hit 24 pretty easily.
I am picking up some good hybrid tips from this thread. I have over 10k on my hybrid and have an overall average of 19.7 mpg. I do frequent short trips so that bites into the mileage. However, on trips over 20 miles on the highway, I get 22 to 24 mpg. On a recent trip from Sacramento CA to Puyallup WA I averaged 22 to 25 mpg.

I am using 91 octane (Chevron gas only).

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Agreed. I'm at 6400' and have driven 2000 miles so far. I run 87 octane, overall avg so far is right at 20MPG. I was at 21 but a 120 mile trip towing the camper knocked it down. I put BFG KO2's on at the 1500 mile point that seems to be cutting my mileage back about 1-2 mpg. I have a lot of things that should cut back on my Powerboosts mileage but figure I'm still averaging 22-23mpg when not towing.

JDinNFLA

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Star White 3.5 EB
Don’t think anyone should buy the PB for mileage. Buy for the 7200kw Pro Power. My EB gets 20 around town. Driving normal. Flat roads Florida. And just got 23 highway yesterday 450 mile trip. Cruise mostly set at 75.

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
I think that I might have two issues that are dramatically affecting my mileage:
  1. My truck has less that 1,000 miles on it.
  2. The vast majority of those 800 miles has been in 2 - 5 mile trips around town... and the 7 mile trips to the dealership, etc. Only one "long drive" to the Bay Area and back (100 miles each way).
Hopefully, it's just a matter of time... but I doubt that I'll ever see 24+ MPG if my driving pattern stays the way it is now. Still... it's better than my POS 2013 Nissan Pathfinder...and WAAAY more fun. ?

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I think that I might have two issues that are dramatically affecting my mileage:
  1. My truck has less that 1,000 miles on it.
  2. The vast majority of those 800 miles has been in 2 - 5 mile trips around town... and the 7 mile trips to the dealership, etc. Only one "long drive" to the Bay Area and back (100 miles each way).
Hopefully, it's just a matter of time... but I doubt that I'll ever see 24+ MPG if my driving pattern stays the way it is now. Still... it's better than my POS 2013 Nissan Pathfinder...and WAAAY more fun. ?
I think your assessment is dead on.
I'm the typical Powerbooster getting the typical 22-24mpg per trip. But those trips would have far less mpg if they didn't exceed at least 7-10 miles in length. Especially with a cold motor.

Each trip starts with a low mpg and then starts to QUICKLY improve as the truck reaches operating temperature and starts accumulating EV miles.

MamboMinnow

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
This maybe a silly question but is the electric motor and the 3.5 ever running at the same time. I thought it did just because of the higher HP. If so does this add to those numbers of the electric miles or is that only electric no gas engine? And to conform to the thread, if running in combo does that help MPG? Novice

MamboMinnow

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I have over 5K miles and six months of commuting/daily use. On my 45 mile commute in Ecomode get 24-26 mpg

overkillphil

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 limited hybrid picked it up 8-11-21
Occupation
retired
I am curious to know what folks are getting for MPG for around town and for any highway trip in the real world. I don't expect that towing would see any improvement over the 3.5 Ecoboost, but lots of us buying these are getting them in hopes of overall improved mileage.
I hve 685 miles on my 3.5 hybrid most around town lots of stop lights
its showing 22.7 mph

Last edited:

Marty811

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR Powerboost, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
I hve 685 miles on my 3.5 hybrid most around town lots of stop likes its showing 22.7 mph
I get between 21-24 going up and down the hills in the Black Hills starting at 5600 feet. That’s is trying hard to get the best mpg in ECO mode. Regular 87 gas. Can’t help it to floor it occasionally to get that rush of power!

Sponsored

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
I don't fully agree on not getting it for MPG. While I have said don't buy it just for MPG, it definitely can be a big improvement over the 3.5L EB if your primary driving is city. 80+% of my driving, especially this past year, has been 3-20 mile drives entirely "city" equivalent driving, and I get 24+ MPG in nearly every trip, often edging closer to 30 MPG.

On short city trips, I never got anywhere near that with my 2.7L or my much older 3.5L.

Comparing highway mileage though, the PB won't go to pure EV except on long downhill, but that isn't much of an advantage. It does keep you out of boost on the highway for short acceleration instances where the 3.5L EB would need boost. But this advantage is offset by the extra weight.

So saying, don't get a PB just for mileage I can mostly agree with, but it comes with some asterisks. My PB is getting an average of 3MPG better than my 2.7L was in city conditions, and in some cases it has gotten almost 10 MPG better. Plus, as noted, it does this while being able to blow the doors off a Raptor.

I am a big fan. I picked the engine just to try out the new big thing, not expecting much since I had two 2.7L EBs before it, and consider those to be the best engines going for the F-150. Plus there is no real money savings getting a 3.5L EB over a PB if you intend on getting the 36 gallon tank and locking rear axle. Once you add those, you are just about at PB numbers (PB has a 30.6 gallon, I am aware) and you may as well get the more efficient, higher performing engine.

Go PB!

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB 502A
Occupation
Builder
A bit off topic, but something I didn't anticipate is the ability to sit with the truck on and enjoy AC and heat without running the engine. I work out of my truck and have had numerous long Zoom meetings. Depending on heat/cooling load, my engine fires up to charge the battery 2-3 times per hour for about 90 seconds. As I watch the DTE readout, my miles left might drop 1 mile every hour or so. I originally went with PB for the extra power and Pro Power Onboard, but a sweet office that doesn't burn more fuel than needed is an awesome bonus!

As it turns out, the AC compressor is a high-voltage stand-alone unit, not belt driven. And the coolant loop to the cabin heater core has its own electric water pump, drawing heat from engine as needed when the engine is not running.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
A bit off topic, but something I didn't anticipate is the ability to sit with the truck on and enjoy AC and heat without running the engine. I work out of my truck and have had numerous long Zoom meetings. Depending on heat/cooling load, my engine fires up to charge the battery 2-3 times per hour for about 90 seconds. As I watch the DTE readout, my miles left might drop 1 mile every hour or so. I originally went with PB for the extra power and Pro Power Onboard, but a sweet office that doesn't burn more fuel than needed is an awesome bonus!

As it turns out, the AC compressor is a high-voltage stand-alone unit, not belt driven. And the coolant loop to the cabin heater core has its own electric water pump, drawing heat from engine as needed when the engine is not running.
If you turn on the high-idle feature you will reduce the charging time to about 55 seconds, rather than 90. And as you described, it comes on about every 20-23 minutes, probably depending on what all you have running.

It truly is the ultimate office in a vehicle. Amazing.

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 f-150 powerboost, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
I'm at 2100 miles now. Vehicle average is 17.5MPG. 316 electric miles.
Did a road trip recently of 800 miles between northern and Southern California and back - 18.5MPG.

What seems to be the issue for me is that the gas engine absolutely gulps gas if it is on or I even slightly touch the accelerator peddle, even when the engine is fully warmed up. I spend time watching the "Fuel Economy" gauge. If we're cruising along at 68 on flat freeway then it hovers around 20 -25MPG. As soon as I apply a little acceleration it goes down to about 15 - 20. If I need to speed up from 60 to 70 or go up a slight hill then it gets about 5 - 10MPG. City stop and start trips are about 15MPG for me.

Even if the car is idle, when the gas engine kicks on occasionally it starts rapidly decreasing MPG. I'm calculating about 1.8 gallons per hour used just during idle. Can that be normal?

Perhaps this is all still engine break in? I wonder what is normal for the 3.5l ecoboost without the hybrid. Can't be much worse than what I'm seeing.

Last edited:

mj_in_ak

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 F150, 2012 Honda Insight
Just put 5000 miles on my truck. Driving from Iowa (Thanks Granger) to Minnesota to Oklahoma, Denver, Montana and then to Seattle. Many flat and also hilly/ mountainous miles. Total average was 20.9mpg. Very happy with the overall mileage. Most of these speeds were @75mph. Could have gotten better mileage at 65 for sure and once this trip is done will mostly be driving at slower speeds and I anticipate 23~24 mpg in the future.
I feel that I got better mileage using “normal” mode than “eco”. Not sure, but that was my overall impression. I did use premium gas for most of the trip after I filled a couple of times with regular and reg plus and noticed the engine running rougher and decreased mileage. With the miles I was putting on, I decided the extra cost was worth it.
I loved the lane keeping tool. It made the trip easier. I used it comfortably on most roads. When I got into tight mountain turns at speed though, I felt more comfortable shutting it off and driving through those situations on my own.
All in all, I love the truck and very happy with my purchase.
Sponsored