Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I got 23.9 for the first 1,100 miles, being careful, breaking in, anticipating heavy towing duty. Then 5.5 mpg for the next 1,600 miles. 150 miles range, sometimes 140, sometmes 160, never more. Great efficiency for size when empty and optimized for mpg. Opposite story when used to capacity, way worse than a truck optimized for actual work. My old F-350 got twice the mileage and three times the range when towing the same load. Powerboost fail for purpose, despite being within spec. Nice truck but next time I’ll get a real one.
Sponsored

Smokewagun

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lariat Lightning
These numbers are encouraging. My 3.0L Powerstroke has been netting 25-27mpg since I recently rolled 40k on the ticker. I saw no reason to look at the PowerBoost earlier. Now that diesel is about $0.35 a gallon more, I may see benefit in the PowerBoost on the next trade. I have a reservation for a Lightning, but I can’t see that right now unless I get comfortable with charging when towing my travel trailer. As a daily driver, I’d benefit very well at 40k+ miles a year, but I’m not sure if I am that comfortable pulling the pin on an ICE just yet. The PowerBoost might be my “in-between”.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
These numbers are encouraging. My 3.0L Powerstroke has been netting 25-27mpg since I recently rolled 40k on the ticker. I saw no reason to look at the PowerBoost earlier. Now that diesel is about $0.35 a gallon more, I may see benefit in the PowerBoost on the next trade. I have a reservation for a Lightning, but I can’t see that right now unless I get comfortable with charging when towing my travel trailer. As a daily driver, I’d benefit very well at 40k+ miles a year, but I’m not sure if I am that comfortable pulling the pin on an ICE just yet. The PowerBoost might be my “in-between”.
That was exactly my thinking. Electric isn't far away on the horizon, but not quite ready for prime time just yet, so PB is the in-between. As an unloaded daily driver the PB delivers the claimed MPG and when loaded/towing its the same as any other 3.5 ecoboost.

powerboost_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PB XLT 302A & 2021- PB Lariat 502A
After my first full tank with the new tire/2" level kit setup (295/60R20- Toyo AT3's - 10ply)my mileage did take a small hit as expected. With my current setup I am avg. 11.1L/100km with similar driving habits around town and highway, a drop of fuel mileage about 1.1L/100km (2mpg) from stock set up and tires, which is still amazing as I had this same setup on my 2018 2.7EB and I avg 14.5L/100km constantly with the same city/highway commutes and driving habits. I am thinking the PB Mileage may improve a little with more break'in time as I only have just over 2100km on the odom.

The added 34" tires and lift to the PB didn't change any of the driving comforts from stock. I will say this PB is the best F150 I have driven with the comfortable interior, drivability, performance and fuel mileage for a large vehicle.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
The last few trips around town, I have noticed I am getting slightly better mpg leaving it in normal mode as opposed to leaving it in ECO and hypermiling.

Anyone else notice that?

MPG-aside, I have to say that power delivery in normal mode is silky smooth.

Sponsored

ekaddo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning,VolvoXC90T6, BMW1250RT
Occupation
Consultant
The highest I’ve gotten in town running errands over 50 miles was 27.4. Overall it’s still hard to believe over last 5000 miles I’ve done 800 all electric (overall avg 21.2):
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 56E0BA10-4EF0-48ED-9509-FE67F1D4832B

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 f-150 powerboost, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
When I do small 2 - 5 mile trips I get crazy low MGP in the low teens even if it's mostly downhill or electric. It's weird.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
When I do small 2 - 5 mile trips I get crazy low MGP in the low teens even if it's mostly downhill or electric. It's weird.
yeah thats not right. I regularly get 22-25 doing small 2-5 mile trips.

MattM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4
I am curious to know what folks are getting for MPG for around town and for any highway trip in the real world. I don't expect that towing would see any improvement over the 3.5 Ecoboost, but lots of us buying these are getting them in hopes of overall improved mileage.

MattM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nearly through first tank of gas, 619 miles, driving around the city and the last 400 over the mountains and bad, ended up with 23.5mpg.

Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
Drove 425 miles to Florida at 72 MPH and got 25.4 mpg hand calculated. On the trip back, drove 75 to 77 mph and got 22.0 mpg.

MattM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Haven't towed a heavy trailer yet. What kind of milage are people getting while towing?

BCP28

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 2023 Ford Mach-E4x
Occupation
Engineer
Just did a drive from my house just outside of Detroit to my parent's place in western SoDak. A little over 1200 miles, only had to stop once for fuel! Pretty impressed with it so far. ?

I track my mileage in a Google sheet, so we'll see how this compares to the pump when I fill the tank again.

Here's the final summary frim my trip last week from Detroit to western SoDak and back. Pretty impressed with the mileage this thing gets. For comparison, I did this same trip on 3 different occasions with my 2019 Ranger (which also has a 24mpg highway fuel economy label), and averaged 19.8, 19.9, and 16.2 mpg on those trips (16.2 was cold with lots of head winds). My wife's 2015 Edge Sport with the 2.7L Ecoboost manages about 22mpg on the same journey.
  • Total Miles Driven: 2939.9 miles
  • Gallons used: 123.709 gals
  • Avg. MPG (hand calc): 23.76 mpg
  • Total Electric Miles: 216.8 miles
  • Best trip: 426.6 miles using 14.25 gals for 29.93 mpg
    • This was from DeWitt, IA over to just south of Ann Arbor. Had a favorable tail wind, but still, I'm amazed this thing got nearly 30(!!) mpg!
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? Trip2

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? GoogleSheet_F150mpg_June2021.JPG

AaronA

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost & Max Tow Package
we got our truck last week after 1.5 months in the shop ...
Mileage continues to improve since the wiring harness / connector replacement. A trip last night through some hilly suburb areas yielded over 28MPG. Another trip through scenic highway with A/C and four adults yielded 29MPG. The electric mode stays engaged longer now.

For anyone having troubles with low mileage I would recommend having a dealer check out the connector cable to the hybrid battery as Ford knows many did not get sealed properly at the factory and are subject to water intrusion. See the quoted post above for more details and others' PB woes.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Mileage continues to improve since the wiring harness / connector replacement. A trip last night through some hilly suburb areas yielded over 28MPG. Another trip through scenic highway with A/C and four adults yielded 29MPG. The electric mode stays engaged longer now.

For anyone having troubles with low mileage I would recommend having a dealer check out the connector cable to the hybrid battery as Ford knows many did not get sealed properly at the factory and are subject to water intrusion. See the quoted post above for more details and others' PB woes.
Interesting. I get "pretty good" MPG but definitely not close (on average) with what folks here share. And I use every trick in the book. I'm only on par with with I got in my 2017 4x2 EB. Maybe this is something I can have them check.

On pure gas (towing, freeway) I get about what others get. But around city I feel like others must be getting longer electric modes than me in general.
Sponsored