Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I have been driving my truck in Eco Mode approximately 90% of the time. I don't always remember to select it and it doesn't always prompt me to either. But, I am trying to maximize as best I can to see what I can get it to do. I am easy on the throttle and tap the breaks on downhills to get it to switch to electric (otherwise it often does not switch). I have never driven anything as gently as I do this truck, but....

1st Tank of Gas: 426.6 Miles @ 15.0mpg (Filled with 7 miles to empty)
2nd Tank of Gas: 465.7 Miles @ 15.7mpg (Filled with 2 miles to empty)
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I just tried Eco mode for the first time yesterday. After shutting off the truck and restarting, I had to manually re-select Eco mode. The second time I shut the truck off and restarted, I was prompted if I wanted to resume Eco mode, so clicked "OK".

Will see what happens today.

I would think that the setting should "stick" automatically between restarts, without the prompt. The color-theme of the drive mode tells you what mode you're in, and should stay put until you change it.
Agreed. I can't figure out what makes it prompt us but I would like to return to tow/haul or return to eco by default.

Scoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A FX4
Agreed. I can't figure out what makes it prompt us but I would like to return to tow/haul or return to eco by default.
Some kind of "Last Used" setting would be ideal. Hell, they could even link it to the MyKey for people who share a truck. Can't imagine why you would want to share one though..

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Some kind of "Last Used" setting would be ideal. Hell, they could even link it to the MyKey for people who share a truck. Can't imagine why you would want to share one though..
What's crazy is that last gen, it would not remember the A/C settings in my XLT, or the ass warmers. This gen, it completely remembers the last A/C settings and if you had the seat cool/heat it will remember that. I'm happy they were able to make this simple change.

Drive modes are just too hard to remember apparently!

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The drive mode thing should be set it and forget it. At the very least, it should prompt you, without fail, when you start the truck, asking if you want to return to "insert mode". I use Eco Mode 90% of the time (the other 10% I forget about it) and I think in 1,200 miles and over 100 start ups it has asked me 3 times.

Sponsored

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I have been driving my truck in Eco Mode approximately 90% of the time. I don't always remember to select it and it doesn't always prompt me to either. But, I am trying to maximize as best I can to see what I can get it to do. I am easy on the throttle and tap the breaks on downhills to get it to switch to electric (otherwise it often does not switch). I have never driven anything as gently as I do this truck, but....

1st Tank of Gas: 426.6 Miles @ 15.0mpg (Filled with 7 miles to empty)
2nd Tank of Gas: 465.7 Miles @ 15.7mpg (Filled with 2 miles to empty)
Something doesn't seem right to be getting 15-ish MPG with a PB, especially if you're babying it.

Reactions: Dan

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Something doesn't seem right to be getting 15-ish MPG with a PB, especially if you're babying it.
Tell me about it. I am going to keep tracking it and see if I see improvement over the next few tanks. When the dealer rep walked me through the truck, he made sure to warn me that it would not get the stated mpg's until the truck was broken in. The owners manual says the same. I am just over 1,000 miles now and I have read, true or not, that the 3,000 mile threshold is around the time you can start counting a consistent mpg number.

I forgot to mention and where it really get baffling:
1st Tank: 21.6 of 426.6 miles were electric (5%, tons of highway)
2nd Tank: 133.7 of 465.7 miles were electric (28.7%, mostly local and small segment of highway)

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Tell me about it. I am going to keep tracking it and see if I see improvement over the next few tanks. When the dealer rep walked me through the truck, he made sure to warn me that it would not get the stated mpg's until the truck was broken in. The owners manual says the same. I am just over 1,000 miles now and I have read, true or not, that the 3,000 mile threshold is around the time you can start counting a consistent mpg number.

I forgot to mention and where it really get baffling:
1st Tank: 21.6 of 426.6 miles were electric (5%, tons of highway)
2nd Tank: 133.7 of 465.7 miles were electric (28.7%, mostly local and small segment of highway)

That’s awfully low. Do you live at high altitudes? Areas with lots of headwinds? I road tripped from Austin to Santa Fe and experienced a lot of headwinds, and my mileage tanked. Sometimes it was so bad that I would need to hit the gas while going downhill just to maintain the speed limit. I thought something was wrong with my truck until I realized it was the wind. Back in Austin, it’s getting MPG results consistently that I expect.

If no, then some things I would do in your situation:
1. Check tire pressure, make sure they are even
2. Put in 93 octane if you aren’t already and see if there’s a difference
3. Check the engine bay and make sure everything at least looks right
4. Start hand calculating your mileage via gps app.

Basically, either something is wrong with your truck, or something is mis-calibrated on your computer...

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
That’s awfully low. Do you live at high altitudes? Areas with lots of headwinds? I road tripped from Austin to Santa Fe and experienced a lot of headwinds, and my mileage tanked. Sometimes it was so bad that I would need to hit the gas while going downhill just to maintain the speed limit. I thought something was wrong with my truck until I realized it was the wind. Back in Austin, it’s getting MPG results consistently that I expect.

If no, then some things I would do in your situation:
1. Check tire pressure, make sure they are even
2. Put in 93 octane if you aren’t already and see if there’s a difference
3. Check the engine bay and make sure everything at least looks right
4. Start hand calculating your mileage via gps app.

Basically, either something is wrong with your truck, or something is mis-calibrated on your computer...
Factory tires?

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, I have a 2" level and 285/65-20's on the truck. I expected to a loss in mpg with that setup, for certain. I don't think the truck is done giving me better MPG, but only time will tell.

The first tank was, again, almost exclusively run on the interstate. I picked it up, drove it 45 minutes home, packed and left for central Oklahoma the next day. Wind and speed are certainly factors there. The second tank was around town, with only a slight bit of open highway driving. It is really hilly here, as I stated, so I expect that to contribute to reduced mileage. The truck does not switch to electric mode as much as I had hoped and forget using electric mode to leave a stop light unless you have 5 minutes to get up to speed. LOL.

Currently, since fill-up: 16.1 mpg/72 miles/28 electric (38.8%)

It occurred to me, and this is absolutely a factor, I don't think the truck has been recalibrated. I have done some calculations and it looks like I'm getting about a 1/2 mile per gallon more than stated in the truck. That is not that much more, really, so still not YET getting what I anticipated.

Last edited:

Sponsored

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Yes, I have a 2" level and 285/65-20's on the truck. I expected to a loss in mpg with that setup, for certain. I don't think the truck is done giving me better MPG, but only time will tell.

The first tank was, again, almost exclusively run on the interstate. I picked it up, drove it 45 minutes home, packed and left for central Oklahoma the next day. Wind and speed are certainly factors there. The second tank was around town, with only a slight bit of open highway driving. It is really hilly here, as I stated, so I expect that to contribute to reduced mileage. The truck does not switch to electric mode as much as I had hoped and forget using electric mode to leave a stop light unless you have 5 minutes to get up to speed. LOL.

Currently, since fill-up: 16.1 mpg/72 miles/28 electric (38.8%)

It occurred to me, and this is absolutely a factor, I don't think the truck has been recalibrated. I have done some calculations and it looks like I'm getting about a 1/2 mile per gallon more than stated in the truck. That is not that much more, really, so still not YET getting what I anticipated.
I would recalibrate for your tires, you can do so with Forscan.
Keep on driving it. My truck started consistently getting 20+ MPG after about 1500 or so miles. I'm now consistently getting 21.5 - 22 on normal drives and not thinking too hard about MPG. If I think really hard about MPG then I get 24.

Use every opportunity to charge your battery. Don't make quick stops if you can help it..anticipate where you're going to stop and coast and/or lightly ride the brakes. I've found it's more efficient to accelerate quickly to a desired speed and then try to coast on that on electric, which may require a light tap on the breaks.

Also, I will say that your truck is likely heavier than mine. These powerboost trucks are quite heavy, and I think all the extra options have a real effect on MPG.

ToddnTX

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Dodge Durango, 07 GMC Sierra. 2021 Ford F-150
Here are my MPG stats before first fuel top off. 40% electric over 300+ miles. Speeds 5 to 55 mph some steep gravel roads both up/down a good mix of highway/city. Regular 87 octane only and temperatures 60 to 90 degF or so. Unloaded just me plus sometimes one passenger no modifications except diamond back HD cover and Michelin LTX A/T^2 stock size 20 inch wheels. King Ranch/ FX4.

71A1081A-2418-4EB3-AC66-317EB8E28386.jpeg
Do you have the larger fuel tank? Those are some impressive numbers. The gas starts to suck when driving 70+ which is easy to do here in Texas

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
Do you have the larger fuel tank? Those are some impressive numbers. The gas starts to suck when driving 70+ which is easy to do here in Texas
Powerboost only comes in one tank size 30.6 gallons

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would recalibrate for your tires, you can do so with Forscan.
Keep on driving it. My truck started consistently getting 20+ MPG after about 1500 or so miles. I'm now consistently getting 21.5 - 22 on normal drives and not thinking too hard about MPG. If I think really hard about MPG then I get 24.

Use every opportunity to charge your battery. Don't make quick stops if you can help it..anticipate where you're going to stop and coast and/or lightly ride the brakes. I've found it's more efficient to accelerate quickly to a desired speed and then try to coast on that on electric, which may require a light tap on the breaks.

Also, I will say that your truck is likely heavier than mine. These powerboost trucks are quite heavy, and I think all the extra options have a real effect on MPG.
I think you are spot on, to tell the truth. I didn't want to come across as bitchin' about the mileage. I expected it to take some time to get to the mileage numbers I think it can do (even with the level and tires). I think it could be 3,500 before the truck shows its true colors. I just wanted to give some reference to others as to what my truck is doing per tank, so far.

Slow breaking does help and your absolutely correct about the brake tap to enter electric mode. I do with there was a button on the shifter, where my right hand is usually resting, to tell the truck you want to be in electric driving. I don't care if the truck overrides me, but there are times it should be and it just doesn't want to do it.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I think over time better predictive analytics and machine learning techniques will engage electric mode (EM) + regenerative braking (RB) more often and more effectively.

For example, under navigation mode, the system knows your route; speed limit changes, stop signs, intersections, turns, traffic, etc. If you let off the gas and the system knows there's a stop sign / yellow/red traffic light ahead, it will automatically engage EM/RB.

You put your blinker on as you approach an intersection, so the system knows to go into EM/RB. Frequent route patterns will be stored and analyzed over time, and used to provide more effective EM/RB.
Sponsored