Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
16-17 mixed semi aggressive driving and low 20s hyper miling on road trips. 18 day to day if I am a bit gentle in the normal cycle. I think right now the computer is right at 18 as I've been in Eco mode and having some success getting it into all e mode.

My 09 Tundra 5.7 was capable of 18 if I feathered it the entire time on road trips but was otherwise a 14-15 mpg truck. So in other words the Powerboost with 50 more hp and 150 more pounds of torque beats it by 1-2 mpg without trying hard at all and can get 2-4 mpg better on road trips if driven right.

My neighbor bragged his ram can do 18 but I can do it and also have the ability to keep up with my old Challenger RT through the quarter
Sponsored

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Seems I'm averaging about 22 mpg in the real world, over an entire tank.

I've had some flash in the pan runs, one 33 miler where I averaged nearly 27 mpg. But that's not realistic over the lifetime of the truck, which is all that matters.

I have a 4x4, so I assume that's costing me 2 mpg right off the top, but can't say for certain.

Eventually I'll likely be tuned, have a tonneu cover (already installed actually) at least some of the time and have some AT tires and realistically if I can average 20-21 mpg after the AT tires (no leveling kit however) on 93 Octane that would be darn impressive.

Should be realistic.

skythelimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited
I bought a used 2021 Limited with 9800 miles. During test drove, I saw 18mpg from the trip 1 with few hundred miles. I took the truck home, drove 200 miles in 1 week with a full tank of 87 octane gas, and hardly slamming the gas pedal, i'm averaging 15.5 mpg. On some short trips, under 6 miles, I see 2 electric miles, but still averaging 15.5 or roughly around 15 and 16 mpg. Things I do is I remote started the car 5 minutes before running. I also have the Toyo A/T 285/50/22 tires at 38psi. I mostly have the truck on eco mode when driving.

I live in Seattle area, so cold weather may affect it a little bit, but I wouldn't think it will be this drastic. I'm getting less mpg from a hybrid system than a regular 3.5L Ecoboost my friend have.

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
No need to prestart your truck.

Just start it up and drive off.

I would recommend driving a bit gently for the first 5-10 minutes.

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
It's a bit disingenuous to quote a short trip as your 'mpg'.

MPG is really about your long-term operating costs, not a flash in the pan 6 mile run.

In my previous GMC Canyon diesel, it wasn't hard to get a flash in the pan 10-25 mile run approaching 40 mpg but in reality, it did considerably less than that. 27 mpg in its last configuration for example.

I did find that whether I started the mpg test coasting downhill to get it artificially high or whatever, that by the time I did 1K miles it was always the exact same number as every other tank, right to the tenth.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
How many tanks/ miles does it take for the computer to recalibrate for 93 Octane?

I saw a relatively small .5mpg bump from going from 87 to 93 over about 400 miles (to be fair, the tank still had 1/3 of the old 87) but then I saw another .5 mpg bump over the next 500 miles after I added a Tonneau cover. I doubt that the Tonneau really did that much and suspect the engine is still adjusting to the 93 Octane fuel.

RockyMtnFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XL Powerboost FX4
Have had my 22' powerboost exactly one year now. So far through 14,000mi I've averaged 19.1 mpg. I drive pretty conservatively and don't tow anything. I do live in snow country though so this average does include a fair amount of idle when letting truck warm up. If I remove the winter months from the total I'm at 20.3 mpg, and thats with the stock tires.

In any case, I don't get anywhere near the 23mpg that FORD advertises the truck should get.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
This winter I decided to get more capable snow tires - heavier, of course.

Last summer I got a 5k# travel trailer and pulled it for 1k miles.

I just reached 17k miles on my truck, and the lifetime average is 19.8 mpg - down from the 23.5 I was averaging 9 months ago.

FLPB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502a
4x4 lariat with max tow, sunroof, power tailgate, bed liner, bed mat, and tonneau. This was a road trip in Fl, mostly interstate with cruise at 76. I'm happy with these numbers considering the added weight of accessories. Tire psi makes a big difference in mpg on these trucks. This was at 44/42.

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? PXL_20230309_233758016
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? PXL_20230310_005505905

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Battery is too small to be considered a real Hybrid. I am averaging 19.3mpg and needing to get to places on time is more important than coasting or touching brakes every 30 seconds for a better MPG. Finding this thing is a joke...
Not sure of their marketing team really...?? EcoBoost means you get basically the exact same mileage as the V8... so whats so "ECO" about it... the power boost is just the ecoboost with a battery that allows you to back out of the driveway in battery mode... neato....

Last edited:

Sponsored

OneFiddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB BAP
My fuel economy has improved to 11-12L/100km (mostly highway) 110-125km/h

Just got over 2000km total.

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, 2022 F-150 Limited Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
7k miles and I am getting between 23.5 to 25.5 around town in normal mode. 22 Limited PB

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Battery is too small to be considered a real Hybrid. I am averaging 19.3mpg and needing to get to places on time is more important than coasting or touching brakes every 30 seconds for a better MPG. Finding this thing is a joke...
Not sure of their marketing team really...?? EcoBoost means you get basically the exact same mileage as the V8... so whats so "ECO" about it... the power boost is just the ecoboost with a battery that allows you to back out of the driveway in battery mode... neato....
You're right--Ford has no business slapping a Hybrid decal on this truck! (oh, wait...)

In all seriousness, my opinion is that the Ford Marketing folks have done a fantastic job here of attempting to manage expectations. I've never once seen an ad hyping the hybrid nature or its fuel efficiency. Instead, they've focused on the aspects that they seem to care about: Augmenting the power of the truck on top of the already very powerful EcoBoost (and literally calling it a "PowerBoost"). Many people learn that it's a hybrid vehicle and place their own assumptions onto this truck of what a hybrid should be, but those assumptions often don't fully pan out. But I don't really blame Ford for not living up to those assumptions, since they're very clear about the (rather meager) capabilities of the powerboost electric drivetrain.

One could argue (and I have) about the design decisions related to the size of the hybrid setup and the likelihood of more or less sales by increasing that setup to make the truck more like a traditional hybrid vehicle. But the Marketing folks did a good job with the hand that they were dealt, at least in my opinion.

In my case, the extra couple of MPG are a nice side-benefit, but it was never really the main focus in my purchasing decision (that would be pro-power on board). All the same, this truck is by far the biggest and heaviest vehicle that I've ever owned, and it's also the most fuel efficient.

Last edited:

BroCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Subaru WRX STI, 2019 Explorer Platinum
I have found that in temps below 35-40 degrees the mileage takes a hit. I am averaging 19-20 MPG in the winter months, I live in Minnesota, and 21-23 MPG in the warmer months. I have just over 4K miles on the truck. I absolutely love the truck!

Edit: I have found that warming the truck up for 10 minutes in cold weather seems to help with fuel mileage.
Sponsored