Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

2021f150

First Name
Jaret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 powerboost
I have 415 miles on the truck with mixed driving. I have been intentionally driving like a grandma and selecting eco whenever I remember. I am averaging 19.1 on the computer. My 2016 was 15.9 with same driving.
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? F195CA04-55F8-403E-B759-E9FA3EA214CE

My first tank of gas with 60 miles remaining. I’ve been driving with a gentle foot. Notice that 120 of the 500 have been electric. Crazy that this truck will drop into electric mode on the highway at 60 mph if you gently ride the break for a few seconds and then gingerly apply the gas. It held 60 in electric only for about .25 miles. Pretty cool.

drnimrod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Raptor, 2012 Acura MDX
Ford will not send an engineer out because of Covid. They are playing phone tag. My truck has been in the shop three days last week and so far three days this week. They are going through the wiring system trying to find out the problem. I told him I had to have my truck by this Friday. We will see how that goes.
I had a vehicle in the shop with this exact scenario (they had no clue). Ended up being rats had nested (due to severe freeze spell) and chewed up some of the electric lines. Had to file a claim with my insurance for them to replace my entire electrical wire harness. The part itself was not expensive, but the labor required brought my claim to over $5k ?

Sponsored

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Power-Boost; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Corporate Pilot; retired Air Traffic Controller
I’ve got 1539 miles on my Limited now. As it gets broke in, I’ve seen the mileage increase. The last few trips I’ve been getting about 24 mpg with a mixture of highway and in town driving. I usually am in Eco but on the highway at an established speed I put it in normal.

Sacbone

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited in Star White
Occupation
Retired from printing, engaged in Real Estate management
I babied it in eco, in city traffic, in 60* weather
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? A3F6FA21-2E0A-4583-B6EC-DE0F7E808A0B

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Power-Boost; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Corporate Pilot; retired Air Traffic Controller
Curious as to why? I believe it is tuned for 87 octane.
Just a vague notion that it might run better on premium. At the Sam’s club where I buy gas premium is only for cents a gallon more.

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Premium is actually a colder fuel with a lower (for lack of a better term right now) BTU
You will not get the mileage from premium that you will from regular.
I only ran (run) premium in my hot rods if I’m just tooling about town.
If they are gonna be freeway flying, regular—just gonna burn it out anyway.
Granted, premium came about due to high compression, big advance engines, but computers today are taking care of all that under normal circumstances.

if you are driving like you stole it on a regular basis, use premium or mid grade.
Normal puttering about premium is a waste.

I get the desire some have. I once had an old Chrysler 300 that flat refused to run properly unless there was 101 in the tank. That thing was pricey to keep fuel and additives in, but it was an extremely fun car. (440TNT/4spd/3,23 posi/discs) stolen in 1989.

Trashman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
This maybe a silly question but is the electric motor and the 3.5 ever running at the same time. I thought it did just because of the higher HP. If so does this add to those numbers of the electric miles or is that only electric no gas engine? And to conform to the thread, if running in combo does that help MPG? Novice

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
This maybe a silly question but is the electric motor and the 3.5 ever running at the same time. I thought it did just because of the higher HP. If so does this add to those numbers of the electric miles or is that only electric no gas engine? And to conform to the thread, if running in combo does that help MPG? Novice
Not a silly question - but the answer is "yes". That's what makes it a hybrid. Both gas and electric motors run. There is a power flow option on the main screen that shows you whether you're running on battery, gas, or both, and why (engine cold, charging battery, etc.)

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Just a vague notion that it might run better on premium. At the Sam’s club where I buy gas premium is only for cents a gallon more.
It might, I think the only way we'll know is if someone logs "knock count" running with both 87 and 93 octane. If the truck isn't pulling timing due to higher knock count when running 87, then the premium is not doing anything for us. But if knock count is lower with 93 then it may run better with premium. I certainly might run premium situationally, like when pulling or hauling a heavy load in the summer, but normal driving should only require 87 per Ford's info. if 87 is all it needs, I'd save the extra money from premium and make sure you're putting Tier One gasoline in it for the better detergent packages. I've seen the difference off brand gas can make in modern fuel injection systems. Sam's may be Tier One, I have no idea.
Sponsored