Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

Joe_Lee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB FX4
Jesus christ, is this on a RWD or a 4WD? This is mind numbingly impossible for me. Those are the speeds I do (70-74) on flats and I consistently get 20-21 at those speeds. I cannot get 24 unless I'm going 55-60.

I have a tonneau, but so do many others and it shouldn't hurt or help significantly. I have tow mirrors and thought "hey, maybe THAT is my problem!" so I did about an hour of several 5 minute calibrations using cruise control and folded vs unfolded mirrors, on flat interstate 5. They were all +/-5mpg and no clear advantage for folded mirrors. So I'm completely at a loss how others can achieve these numbers. Oh, I've also been through an entire summer and entire winter and always used premium gas. No dice.

Congrats, though!
I have a Screw 4x4 with a tonneau cover but I also have the stock hankook tires on the truck with no level for now. Very little to no headwind on my trip yesterday as well. My tank had 20 gallons of regular grade gas in it and I topped it off with 10 gallons of premium before I began the trip.
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I have a Screw 4x4 with a tonneau cover but I also have the stock hankook tires on the truck with no level for now. Very little to no headwind on my trip yesterday as well. My tank had 20 gallons of regular grade gas in it and I topped it off with 10 gallons of premium before I began the trip.
Crazy. I have stock pirelli scorpions and never mess with suspension mods either. And looks like we both have tonneaus as well. (As do most of the others with impossibly high MPGs for me)

I wish I could pair my old truck with the battery of this one. This is just karma because I was always so proud and cocky of how I used to blow away the EPA ratings, so now I get a truck on the low end of the distribution and it has come full circle.

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
So I'm pretty disappointed with the mileage I'm getting. I've put about 1000 miles on my truck and am only getting 16mpg. I drive primarily in Eco mode, sometimes in normal, and only a few miles in sport mode. The only "mods" I've made is adding a bedrug and tonneau cover. I've got basically a stock Lariat 502a FX4 5.5 bed with a couple of options (moon roof, MaxTow package 20" rims).

I'm worried I've got a bum engine or something. Anything I can have Ford or a shop do to tune my F150 to help?

mistermoon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 PB
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? C070F76C-487A-42CE-8745-C993392D63FD
From my house to ATL airport. Mostly interstate, 60-75 mph. I’ve done this a couple times now and getting about the same mpg as this on this route.

I’ve only put 290 miles on this truck since I got it 2 weeks ago and it’s doing pretty well compared to the EPA ratings. I’m hopeful it may improve after breaking in.

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
So I'm pretty disappointed with the mileage I'm getting. I've put about 1000 miles on my truck and am only getting 16mpg. I drive primarily in Eco mode, sometimes in normal, and only a few miles in sport mode. The only "mods" I've made is adding a bedrug and tonneau cover. I've got basically a stock Lariat 502a FX4 5.5 bed with a couple of options (moon roof, MaxTow package 20" rims).

I'm worried I've got a bum engine or something. Anything I can have Ford or a shop do to tune my F150 to help?
That number seems pretty low. I don't have any suggestions as my truck has similar miles as yours, but what kind of driving do you do? City, highway, mix? Assuming you drive in 2wd and not 4A? Do you live in a hilly area? That 16mpg the average over the 1000 miles or a rough estimate from what you've been on trips? Do you gain electric miles on drives below 50mph? Have you tried hand calculating mpg to see if it matches?

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect

How far are your trips? Are they all super short? I'm not getting much better, but I understand that since most of my trips are < 2 miles and basically just start and stop between stop signs, I won't get great mileage. When I go on a long trip I do a lot better, even if it's just a bit down the highway.

I can get some great "This Trip" numbers, but there are some that are like 5-10mpg that offset those. I fully expect this based on my usage. Is yours similar or are you driving more per day or longer distances?

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
So it's mostly short trips, but I've taken some longer ones and haven't see much better. I live in a pretty flat area without snow so I drive in RWD all the time. I use the the brake and EV coach all the time (It's like a video game for me) and do get a few electric only miles each drive.

I love the truck otherwise. I'm getting a camper for it in a few weeks (FWC project M), so I'd hoped I'd see better milage before I put 500lbs on the back pretty much full time.

Last edited:

JohnnyBoy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
'22 F150 501 Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
chef
I live at 7000' in an isolated area. It's 40 miles for a grocery run.
Outbound, I drop 3500' over the 40 miles and get 35 MPG.
The return trip I get 13.5 MPG.
Combined, it's 20.5 MPG in normal mode.
Next trip, I'll try Eco mode.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
This is pure speculation based on my empirical results from testing and observing the way it works with the hybrid drive train....

I don't think Eco helps at all with MPG on a powerboost, I think it helps only on non-hybrids. What Eco seems to do is prevent sudden changes in RPMs when you floor the gas too much, acting as a dampener. This is how it works in other cars I've driven as well, hard to take off at a light or suddenly pass someone on the freeway. Presumably this is the most inefficient use of gas on the efficiency curve and will kill your MPG.

On the hybrid, I have watched how it uses the battery charge, and for quick takeoffs from a stop, it will use stored charge you just generated (above 42%) to get the torque on demand and offset taxing the gas engine where it is in the inefficient zone. It seems to behave the same in Normal or Eco. So dampening the accelerator doesn't seem to help as it uses battery anyway.

Of course, someone will probably tell me I'm a moron or whatever, but this is my observation. I only use Eco now to get a "change of scenery" in my cluster with the green gauges for fun.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
This is pure speculation based on my empirical results from testing and observing the way it works with the hybrid drive train....

I don't think Eco helps at all with MPG on a powerboost, I think it helps only on non-hybrids. What Eco seems to do is prevent sudden changes in RPMs when you floor the gas too much, acting as a dampener. This is how it works in other cars I've driven as well, hard to take off at a light or suddenly pass someone on the freeway. Presumably this is the most inefficient use of gas on the efficiency curve and will kill your MPG.

On the hybrid, I have watched how it uses the battery charge, and for quick takeoffs from a stop, it will use stored charge you just generated (above 42%) to get the torque on demand and offset taxing the gas engine where it is in the inefficient zone. It seems to behave the same in Normal or Eco. So dampening the accelerator doesn't seem to help as it uses battery anyway.

Of course, someone will probably tell me I'm a moron or whatever, but this is my observation. I only use Eco now to get a "change of scenery" in my cluster with the green gauges for fun.
I feel like I've had the same experience and don't use Eco drive mode with my PB after trying it a few times.

Sponsored

TTABLE213

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang, 2020 Escape, 2022 F150 Platinum PB
Occupation
Retired
We all have opinions and observations. So, no name calling. I'm far too new to my Powerboost to have much data. Just turned 400 miles. Above said, I've run almost entirely in Eco and have seen 13 mile trips well into the 20's. I've not seen the same on the few occasions I've run in normal.

I have punched it in both Eco and Normal. Eco gives me plenty of power. I have a '20 Escape Hybrid and I will admit that I just can run in Eco. The engine just barely has enough power to run in Normal, Eco frustrates me. On the Escape, I've not really see a difference in MPG's. It's all about how I handle acceleration and speed. On the interstate, I'm not maximizing my mileage, I'm just in too much of a hurry.

Now, I have a question. On the Escape, the dash shows how much battery you are using and how much ICE you are using, all the time. I love that. It moves as you accelerate and shows as it shifts from battery drive to ICE drive to braking with a number that means something. On the truck, I can only find the power flow screen and the hybrid, recharge bar. I have those on the Escape and find then rather useless. RPMs give ICE use, but nothing about battery use.

Other than using fourscan to see what is actually happening with the battery/engine use, am I missing something similar to the Escape? I'll probably use fourscan at some point, I was able to fix some annoying items on my 2018 like windows down via the remote.

I do love my Powerboost and value all the data and opinions.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
The few times I drove in Eco mode, I got worse fuel economy. It seemed to me to try to use the battery too much on my drive, so it was always using the engine to charge where Normal mode had more charging during braking/coasting and kept the engine on with motor assist versus trying to go all EV.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
The few times I drove in Eco mode, I got worse fuel economy. It seemed to me to try to use the battery too much on my drive, so it was always using the engine to charge where Normal mode had more charging during braking/coasting and kept the engine on with motor assist versus trying to go all EV.
You've got one of the blessed trucks that consistently beats the EPA rating based on your posts, maybe that has something to do with it. My Eco doesn't seem to favor EV at all, it appears to be the exact same algorithm, except for the acceleration dampening (again, my observation).

Your Fuelly lifetime 22mpg is similar to what I used to get (non-towing) on my 2017 ecoboost RWD. That one was heavily skewed freeway (where I easily got from 23-28mpg) because I was commuting so much, so it helped overcome my city mpg. With my new truck all my freeway miles just DRAG me down so badly that I'll never achieve >22mpg. City I do "ok" maybe 22-25mpg if the trip is >15 minutes.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I have a very hybrid friendly drive too/from work. Now that it's warmed up, I'm getting over the rated MPG on my daily drives. It definitely is an art getting good fuel economy though, and takes practice, patience, and watching the EV coach screen diligently. I'm pretty sure I also annoy drivers behind me at times as I brake very early for lights so I can get as much regenerative braking in as possible.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I have a very hybrid friendly drive too/from work. Now that it's warmed up, I'm getting over the rated MPG on my daily drives. It definitely is an art getting good fuel economy though, and takes practice, patience, and watching the EV coach screen diligently. I'm pretty sure I also annoy drivers behind me at times as I brake very early for lights so I can get as much regenerative braking in as possible.
Yep! I definitely do all that as well as I've learned all the tricks. I annoy drivers behind me and the very vocal passenger next to me even more. :)

How is your freeway mpg? Is it as bad as mine or do you have an advantage there as well?

For reference, here was the chart I made:

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 1652981058283
Sponsored