Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Wish I could see these numbers posted. My PB is constantly around 19 on the highway. Eco ran at the 19, normal 18. Nothing much faster than 72 other than when passing. Been downshifting going up hills to keep the turbos from kicking in, but still don’t see any increase . Not a lot better than the 2018, 5.0 litre Lariat . Running 87 octane , anything higher here in Canada is way too expensive to justify.
You’re only getting 19? Is that in Gallons per Mile or Kilometers per Litre? ;-)
Sponsored

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
You’re only getting 19? Is that in Gallons per Mile or Kilometers per Litre? ;-)
To clarify, that would be 19 mpg. In metric terms , as on my truck , I‘m using 12.3 litres of gas per 100 kilometres ( that’s highway usage) which is the approximate equivalent of 19 miles per gallon.

Hope this makes more sense. Does nothing for the poor mileage at this point. Perhaps with additional mileage this will increase, but with the cool weather now I don’t see that happening until it warms up next year.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's true, or at least very likely that the average numbers reported around here are going to take a dip. Or at least the Hybrid mileage does on other make/models in cold months.

Even more so in the areas where the fuel at the pump is a "winter blend", although I've never lived in that kind of weather zone.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I have 8k miles on mine, half with premium and half regular. I drive gently and top out at 72 mph on the highway. I’ve never gotten anything near 24 on any trip or tank. My average is 19.7 over the life of the truck, and the most I’ve ever gotten on a trip is about 22.

JerseyGlock

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
I have 8k miles on mine, half with premium and half regular. I drive gently and top out at 72 mph on the highway. I’ve never gotten anything near 24 on any trip or tank. My average is 19.7 over the life of the truck, and the most I’ve ever gotten on a trip is about 22.
Hard to keeping at 23.5 mpg, at or under 70 mph. You can go 75 mph instead 72 mph, you're already at 1800 rpm range.

Sponsored

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
I gather you have towed with an Ecoboost before. :)
I learned that fuel management (AND engine coolant temp) technique from a tuner who was dialing my previous Ecoboost in for towing in the rockies. (I live on flatland and have plenty of access to 93 octane. But when I'm towing the toy hauler in the summer I would be dealing with grades, and summer temps, and 91octane.

Once I was able to monitor all the various parameters through ODB, it was very interesting to see the correlation of boost VS RPM, VS engine temps VS fuel economy.

Your suggestions are dead on with the real world experience and the tuner teaching me how to "manage" an Ecoboost. I rarely unlocked any of the overdrive gears. (8,9,10) and fuel mileage increased a couple of mpg's, but it was the engine temps that really benefitted.
Actually this powerboost is the first Ford F150 since my 97 with the triton 5.4 and sluggish ancient E40D transmission. I haven't towed more than 10 miles yet but have been reading all of the tips in the 2 forums. I had a 2019 Ram Rebel with the sweet 5.7 hemi but horrible mileage. The +/- buttons were helpful shutting off eco 4 cylinder mode but the Ford's dual design is slick. M and D each use +/- buttons differently. I keep spreading the word as I don't think most new owners realize some of the cool features these trucks have. My Lariat Powerboost only has 1400 miles so far but I am impressed!!! Double my Ram mileage....and faster!!!

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I though EPA determines sticker MPG sticker ratings not Ford. My own experience is the only car I ever owned that got better than sticker was my Honda Civic. I’ll be very happy if my F150 gets close to 24/24 once I return to my normal driving habits.
EPA has a standard drive route/routine that manufacturers use to test vehicles for OBDII emissions and fuel economy. Manufacturers perform the testing and results to the EPA to "certify" there information before it's published and they perform spot checks themselves to ensure accuracy of submitted data.

Since it's a set drive routine, companies can tune the car to run best at those parameters to get good numbers where real-world usage never matches. Think VW/Bosch with diesel-gate or Ford Transit Connect hybrid where testing doesn't match reality.

It may have changed, but the highway average was at 55 mph for a long time. This, despite 65-75 mph speed limits in many areas. It's a huge change in drag, especially for a truck, so the faster you go, the less likely you are too make the numbers. Exterior temperature also plays a role, and making sure the vehicle is up to operating temperature.

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Powerboost, Supercrew, FX4, 502A
Occupation
Professional Bum
So it's not just Ford that is full of BS. It's anybody reporting better fuel mileage than 19?

You could be right, but it seems a stretch.
I do mixed driving and very little effort to hyper-mile. It takes too much fun out of driving it for me. The only condition I see 19mpg or less is a coldstart and less than 7 miles traveled. I've watched and after about 7 miles, it just wants to find a way to stay in the 20's.
Then is it possible that the onboard mpg meter is not accurate by any stretch? My truck was full when I bought it, or at least they said full, and I have my mileage, so when I fill up I will do an actual check which should be accurate. I have driven over 250 miles and still have over a half showing or 380 remaining with the onboard calculator. I don't even know the tank size but at this point seems like I am getting good mpg.

Markusvt

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Per Ford's 2021 Technical Specifications for the F-150, the PowerBoost will have its own proprietary fuel tank with a capacity of 30.6 gallons.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Then is it possible that the onboard mpg meter is not accurate by any stretch? My truck was full when I bought it, or at least they said full, and I have my mileage, so when I fill up I will do an actual check which should be accurate. I have driven over 250 miles and still have over a half showing or 380 remaining with the onboard calculator. I don't even know the tank size but at this point seems like I am getting good mpg.
I use 2 different gas stations, but various pumps, so there is still a margin of error in my hand calculations. But probably not enough to skew anything drastically. I find the dash mileage optimistic every fill-up except 2. On those 2 occasions, the dash was pessimistic by a fraction. ~.2-.3mpg
All other occasions the lie-ometer was indeed optimistic, but somewhere between 3-7tenths of a gallon. The only time the gauge and hand calculations varied by more than 1 gallon was when the sample mileage was less than 100 miles. It was optimistic by 1.2 mpg.

Still, having said all that, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a variation of accuracy from one truck and another, as well as one driver from another. The algorithm (software) and metering hardware is bound to have a range of tolerances, but it can't be perfect. Example: it can't possibly account for tire wear. And if an actual tire brand/model can have a shorter or longer circumference than another, even if both are technically the same size, the truck can't differentiate.

I'm actually happy with this specific trucks accuracy. In my mind I allow for it to be 1/2 to 1mpg optimistic, each time I view the dash. My 2018 KingRanch F150 was just a little bit more accurate but that was due to me recalibrating the truck with a tuner in an effort to dial in the speedometer. (I had installed 34.6" tall tires)

Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
To clarify, that would be 19 mpg. In metric terms , as on my truck , I‘m using 12.3 litres of gas per 100 kilometres ( that’s highway usage) which is the approximate equivalent of 19 miles per gallon.

Hope this makes more sense. Does nothing for the poor mileage at this point. Perhaps with additional mileage this will increase, but with the cool weather now I don’t see that happening until it warms up next year.
Apologies; I was only teasing.

I have noticed my mileage improve since the break-in period, perhaps 0.5-1.0 mpg. You're right, that mileage generally goes down as the weather cools.

'Sorry you're not getting the mileage that you expected. I drove a couple of tankfulls without trying to optimize mileage and got about 21.0-21.5 mpg, which is a lot closer to your 19.

Other than (obviously) keeping your highway speed down, the only thing I would suggest is that, when just cruising around town or highway, to use Eco mode. It makes acceleration more gradual to keep from using the turbo's. After a short time, you don't even realize it's on. Best of luck!

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Great reading these posts. Very interesting hearing everyone’s experience.

My truck is two days old 61 miles. So I have almost no experience with efficiency but I can tell you today’s drive with a non-broken in power train with no BS.

Drove 40 miles today 60% highway 40% stop and go. I got 23 mpg as per trip. I was babying it, no hard starts and varying my speed 55-65.

I though EPA determines sticker MPG sticker ratings not Ford. My own experience is the only car I ever owned that got better than sticker was my Honda Civic. I’ll be very happy if my F150 gets close to 24/24 once I return to my normal driving habits.

It’s good to know from these posts that a lot of folks are getting close to it.

Appears that if you purchased your truck and want the best MPG your driving habits need to match hybrid eco coach guidance for best results.

If you purchased because you want a real fast truck and that’s the way you drive it… Have a blast and don’t pay any mind to the numbers.

For me it’s a little of both. So I’ll be fine with paying the price at the pump but also know I have the option to drive economically when I want to.
This is exactly right in my experience. That's what I like about this truck, you can drive it like a muscle car and enjoy the power, or you can drive conservatively and enjoy the efficiency. Following the "coaches" and driving carefully, the mileage can be pretty impressive for full sized, 400hp+, Truck. Then you can flip the switch, have fun with the throttle, or tow a large trailer and say to hell with the mpg. You can do both, just not at the same time!

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
I'm getting 26 to 27 on the normal around home in Northern Virginia. Highway, expressway, suburb parkway with traffic lights, inner city (DC), rural country roads. Gradual sloping terrain up and down is consistent.

Video here

How I do it, is Here.

Haven't towed with it really, but I have 12,000 miles of mixed use of terrain, and geography. 5600 miles were two round trips from VA to Fort Worth TX and back.... 70 to 80mph. On those, depending on speed for each trip, I got 21 for the faster speed trips. And high 23 for the speed limit trips.

On a trip like that, 1400 miles one way, going faster, really only vost me about 9 to 10% more in fuel costs... about 20 dollars to get there a good 2 hours earlier.

All 4 trips of 1400 miles each were mid summer during heat waves, 105 degrees in TX at 80+ MPH in the Mornings.

I will also note, I drive straight with 1.5 hour rest stop sleeps. So about half the drive of those trips were overnight where the temp dropped into 80s. So that helps a lot.... lower Temps.

Also, 87 octane.

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I swapped tires from the stock Goodyear Wrangler 275/65/18 (SL @ 38lbs each) to General Grabber ATx 275/70/18 (SL @ 44lbs each) and lost at least 1mpg but I'm thinking it's closer to 1.5mpg. Tires are heavier and the truck is 1" higher due to moving from 32" to 33" tires. I don't regret it but just letting others know what to expect and I'm not leveled.

I drive about 10,000 - 12,000 miles per year so that's about $130 extra per year on gas from losing 2 mpg. Not a big deal.

Last edited:

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I'm getting 26 to 27 on the normal around home in Northern Virginia. Highway, expressway, suburb parkway with traffic lights, inner city (DC), rural country roads. Gradual sloping terrain up and down is consistent.

Video here

How I do it, is Here.

Haven't towed with it really, but I have 12,000 miles of mixed use of terrain, and geography. 5600 miles were two round trips from VA to Fort Worth TX and back.... 70 to 80mph. On those, depending on speed for each trip, I got 21 for the faster speed trips. And high 23 for the speed limit trips.

On a trip like that, 1400 miles one way, going faster, really only vost me about 9 to 10% more in fuel costs... about 20 dollars to get there a good 2 hours earlier.

All 4 trips of 1400 miles each were mid summer during heat waves, 105 degrees in TX at 80+ MPH in the Mornings.

I will also note, I drive straight with 1.5 hour rest stop sleeps. So about half the drive of those trips were overnight where the temp dropped into 80s. So that helps a lot.... lower Temps.

Also, 87 octane.
I do *all* of the things mentioned in the article. I am still getting a bit less than 20 MPG overall. And on local trips, like taking my daughter to school, I usually get 16-17, despite about 20% of the miles being electric. I really don't get it. The stop-and-go driving really kills the mileage too.
Sponsored