Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Mpg getting better over time…see latest drive from east hollywood to south bay ….overall through my 8K miles under 20 due to 3000 miles of towing our airstream….but very happy with city/urban driving

188CD55F-17D8-4449-B845-AD30C23AB0B2.jpeg
@ricko24 -

That is very good. I've also noticed that my mileage has improved a bit over time (about 6,500 miles to date).

I've filled my tank about 10 times, now. For my last fill-up, I decided to try to drive in Eco Mode and keep my speed down to see what kind of range I would get on a single tank.

RESULTS -
  • Range: 747.2 miles.
  • MPG Displayed: 25.5 MPG.
  • Refill: 29.9 gallons.
  • Calculated MPG: 24.9.
Very happy with this!

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? Singel Tank Range 747
Sponsored

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Just crossed the 2200 mile mark today with PB going to work. Mileage for those total miles reads 24.3. Happy with that as compared to 2010 Sportrac 4.0 liter that I traded. Average for that vehicle for 69000+ miles was 17.1.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
Just crossed the 2200 mile mark today with PB going to work. Mileage for those total miles reads 24.3. Happy with that as compared to 2010 Sportrac 4.0 liter that I traded. Average for that vehicle for 69000+ miles was 17.1.
Wish I could see these numbers posted. My PB is constantly around 19 on the highway. Eco ran at the 19, normal 18. Nothing much faster than 72 other than when passing. Been downshifting going up hills to keep the turbos from kicking in, but still don’t see any increase . Not a lot better than the 2018, 5.0 litre Lariat . Running 87 octane , anything higher here in Canada is way too expensive to justify.

OleCuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch PowerBoost
I'm at a bit over 1100 miles.

In the city/town I'm getting about 19mpg although I'm maybe tending a bit more toward 20mpg. I once got 26mpg but that was anomalous. I'm not using a lead foot so I really don't know how they got a 24mpg rating for the city.

On the highway? With the typical traffic I'm getting more like 22mpg although once I got a bit better than 24mpg. I think that with great traffic and flat terrain I'll be getting more like 26mpg but right now that's theoretical for me.

I'd really like to know if there is some way for me to improve my city number. But frankly I'm not confident I can as I'm not pushing it hard and my braking is almost always in the charging zone.

Just for fun? Yesterday I re-set the mileage number as I approached work and was in electric drive. Registered 999.9mpg! Yeah, it had little to do with reality but it was fun!

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Wish I could see these numbers posted. My PB is constantly around 19 on the highway. Eco ran at the 19, normal 18. Nothing much faster than 72 other than when passing. Been downshifting going up hills to keep the turbos from kicking in, but still don’t see any increase . Not a lot better than the 2018, 5.0 litre Lariat . Running 87 octane , anything higher here in Canada is way too expensive to justify.
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 1633544701843
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 1633544701843

Sponsored

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
I just broke the 5k mark on miles, and the mileage has gotten better over time. I never reset my total MPG screen, and that shows 22.7 overall since day 1. I do a fairly good mix of stop & go and country road driving. My work commute accounts for most of that. For the commute and I am averaging a solid 25 mpg.
I did a 200 mile trip through the Green mountains of VT last weekend, and pulled in the driveway with 24.9.
On the highway, I can maintain in the 22 range going 70-75 mph. I don’t think I’ll see 24-25 on the highway unless I keep it at 60-65.
Seeing that most of my miles are mixed, getting 25 on avg puts a big grin on my face, especially knowing what this thing is capable of, power wise.

I will not that when I first got it, I was not seeing these kind of results. It wasn’t until I hit the 1,500 mile mark that it really started to improve.
I only use Costco 93 octane, and any improvement from that is debatable. As long as it is within .30 cents or so, I will continue. My truck is my temple so I will feed it accordingly.

rodsterinfl

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F150 Platinum 701A
Occupation
Educator
Have you compared your truck's calculated MPG vs actual MPG? Just curious to see how accurate it is.

I just did a compare on my 2010 F150 5.4L 4x4 Lariat last weekend on a trip up north, using ~33 gallons of gas. Mix of highway (majority), around town, and a little off-roading through some deep snow (+ some donuts on empty snow covered parking lots, couldn't resist :cool: ). Computer came back at 15mpg, actual was 13mpg.
I know that my current 2017 Platinum Ecoboost 3.5 10 speed 3:55 2wd is about 1.4 mpg better than an actual calculation at the pump.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I know that my current 2017 Platinum Ecoboost 3.5 10 speed 3:55 2wd is about 1.4 mpg better than an actual calculation at the pump.
That's why they are called the LOM

21hybrid F150

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
612 miles over 2 weeks so still breaking in. first fill up was 10.1 gallons with 243 miles on trip odometer. guessing dealer did not reset it when filled tank. screen said 22.1 mpg. what I do see is roughly 20% of miles are electric.

David Gordon

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Oilfield
Just took road trip 400 miles, ave 17.7 mpg, 75-80 mph return trip 20.1 @ 70-75 mph 90% interstate. 75 mph posted speed.

Sponsored

David Gordon

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Oilfield
@ricko24 -

That is very good. I've also noticed that my mileage has improved a bit over time (about 6,500 miles to date).

I've filled my tank about 10 times, now. For my last fill-up, I decided to try to drive in Eco Mode and keep my speed down to see what kind of range I would get on a single tank.

RESULTS -
  • Range: 747.2 miles.
  • MPG Displayed: 25.5 MPG.
  • Refill: 29.9 gallons.
  • Calculated MPG: 24.9.
Very happy with this!

Singel Tank Range 747.jpg
You driving off a mountain @ 55 mph?

JPK

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost 7.2kw
Im averaging about 23 mpg city/freeway driving. Purchased our Powerboost in early August and currently have 3500 miles on it. I tried getting the electric to kick in by tapping the brakes coming off freeways or on level streets but overall that doesnt impact the average. I always use the eco setting and drive pretty conservatively but I still dont get much electric contribution. I am ok with the regular driving performance but unfortunately the towing mileage is just terrible. We have a light ( 4400lb) 26 ft travel trailer and no matter how I drive, or any speed between 55 and 70, what setting I choose ( tow- haul, normal, eco) I am barely getting 10 mpg. I was expecting 14. Good thing it has the 30 gal tank, at least I get decent range but still very disappointed. Previously towed the same trailer with 2020 Explorer and did get 12-14 mpg so not sure what the problem is with this pickup.

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat
I'm only on my 3rd tank of gas, but my dash shows 19.4mpg for the most current trip1 with around 200 total miles, and 37 of those being electric. I keep it in "normal" mode, but might have to end up trying Eco because even if I drive it like a grandma - it doesn't seem to make a difference in mpg. That said, I am in CO (elevation) and put bigger / heavier tires on, so I don't expect the full 24mpg but was hoping to get over 20.

Ark LTD

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (ordering), Range Rover
I have 9500 miles on my Powerboost. My mpg over that entire mileage is 18.2 . . . Which is disappointing given that most people on this thread are reporting closer to 24mpg overall. I drive in normal mode (mostly like a granny). 65% city and 35% highway. If I am interstate driving at 75 mph on cruise control. . . I’m very lucky to get 15-16 mpg. In city driving I Sometimes “trick” my truck into electric mode by tapping on the break until it goes into electric mode. . . And afterwards I can go quite a ways on flat roads at speeds up to 45 mph . . . But my truck will never go into and maintain electric mode like that on its own. So Is it me or is something possibly wrong with my truck? Is there a style of driving that creates more “battery charge”? Should I be “riding” the regen brakes a lot?

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
I have 9500 miles on my Powerboost. My mpg over that entire mileage is 18.2 . . . Which is disappointing given that most people on this thread are reporting closer to 24mpg overall. I drive in normal mode (mostly like a granny). 65% city and 35% highway. If I am interstate driving at 75 mph on cruise control. . . I’m very lucky to get 15-16 mpg. In city driving I Sometimes “trick” my truck into electric mode by tapping on the break until it goes into electric mode. . . And afterwards I can go quite a ways on flat roads at speeds up to 45 mph . . . But my truck will never go into and maintain electric mode like that on its own. So Is it me or is something possibly wrong with my truck? Is there a style of driving that creates more “battery charge”? Should I be “riding” the regen brakes a lot?
There is no real way to know. There are a million external factors that none of us could answer as to why your mileage is lower. You could be in an area with more subtle elevation changes, or more traffic lights, longer traffic lights, more traffic in general, etc. I live in a busy area (Metro Detroit), so it isn't like I am just driving on mostly empty back roads like when we lived outside of Indianapolis. Sometimes I get home and I am under 20 MPG, but most of the time I can get home from city drives at 22-24 MPG, sometimes higher.

But as you would notice, there is a big gap between under 20 and 24, and a lot of that is because if I go out during much busier times, or when it's raining, or just happen to catch every single traffic light, it's way harder to get above 20. It would be for virtually any vehicle (not to get above 20, but to hit the ideal MPG). So you could be doing everything right, benchmarking against others is often a no-win game.

You really need to benchmark against history with another F-150 with a different engine. For example, nothing has changed about where we live and my drive (aside from more WAH) from when I had my 2.7L 2019. My 2.7L was great on the highway, running close to what I get with the PB. But it was well under 20MPG in the city because it spent so much time in boost with all the traffic lights. The PowerBoost handles that better, so I went from 19MPG average (2.7L F-150) to 23 MPG average (PB F-150) with the same routes, with some trips 24-30MPG. I would have never had a trip above 24MPG in city driving with the 2019.

So comparing this truck to my last, the PB has definite advantages. If you had a previous F-150, you may find you are doing 2-3 MPG better than the same driving with that truck. But if you didn't have an F-150 before it gets a lot tougher to know how this is doing.

As to going to electric on its own, in Normal mode, my truck will usually go back to electric on flat road if the battery is at a decent state of charge and I am doing 45 MPH or under. If I am doing 50 or above, it almost never switches to electric unless I lightly ride the brake. Since school went back, I have been driving the kids to school each morning, and I drive above two miles (short drive, so not using it for MPG, but to figure out the electric mode). If I do 45 the entire way, assuming no traffic lights, it will cycle between electric and gas on its own a couple times during the trip. If I do 5 over the limit (so 50) it never switches to electric unless coasting down to a traffic light. So 45 or under seems to be the absolute sweet spot for electric mode driving.
Sponsored