Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150 5.0, 2021 F150 hybrid
Interesting observation today while driving. I did a 40 km round trip today and my mileage (available until empty) on my fuel level actually increased. It started out suggesting that I had 950 km's until empty after I filled it with 91 octane fuel. I drove the 40 km's and my km's until empty went up to 980 instead of down.

I wonder if that is the vehicle adjusting for the premium fuel? Anyone else noticed this?
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
It likely adjusted because you're average fuel usage after filling up was greater than the short trip before getting fuel. Stomp on the gas and drive it like a race car and watch it go back down.

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It likely adjusted because you're average fuel usage after filling up was greater than the short trip before getting fuel. Stomp on the gas and drive it like a race car and watch it go back down.
Yes true stomp on it and it goes the other way. I have never had one (fuel gauge mileage until empty) go up while driving, only down from the initial distance. I reset everything when I filled up with the premium fuel. That is why I am thinking that the computer is adjusting based on the fuel. I will see if it keeps going up and keep track of how long before it starts to go the other way.

Last edited:

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
I'm not really sure how you got that out of my comment?
Even if you calculate by hand you’re not getting an accurate figure because your odometer is not showing an accurate reading.

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
Yes true stomp on it and it goes the other way. I have never had one (fuel gauge mileage until empty) go up while driving, only down from the initial distance. I reset everything when I filled up with the premium fuel. That is why I am thinking that the computer is adjusting based on the fuel. I will see if it keeps going up and keep track of how long before it starts to go the other way.
My Jeep adjusts based on the recent historical MPG. If I'm blitzing around town in stop and go in the Hemi I'll often see under 400 miles on a fresh fill up of the tank.

However if I start a road trip, as my MPG increases because I'm not stomping on it, it's quite easy for me to see the projected range increase throughout the course of the drive until it finds its new accurate projection.

Sponsored

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Internet Admin
21 PowerBoost platinum FX4 Super Crew w/6.5 bed. Driving at 4,500ft with lots of high altitude mountain driving from Idaho to Wyoming.

only have 2 fillups on her so far

The App I am using is called "Pure Gas" and tracks gas stations nationwide that sell Ethanol Free fuel.

The Pink entries were for my 2005 V10 F250
Needless to say I am in LOVE with the new F150 Hybrid!!!!!

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 772D9D39-F8F3-453D-9A4B-593D58EAD8DF

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Interesting observation today while driving. I did a 40 km round trip today and my mileage (available until empty) on my fuel level actually increased. It started out suggesting that I had 950 km's until empty after I filled it with 91 octane fuel. I drove the 40 km's and my km's until empty went up to 980 instead of down.

I wonder if that is the vehicle adjusting for the premium fuel? Anyone else noticed this?
I never quite figured out the algorithm fully, but my previous 2017, the DTE calculation was always based on the last rolling average of somewhere between 200-400 miles. So I would get the DTE increase as I drive if I just unhitched after a long trip towing.

One complaint from previous truck was that the DTE calculation option for "towing" vs "normal" never seemed to make a difference. It still would use the latest rolling average, but I think maybe fewer miles or something I'm not sure. The new one seems to track lifetime MPG per trailer. Awesome!

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
Even if you calculate by hand you’re not getting an accurate figure because your odometer is not showing an accurate reading.
Presuming the speedometer was correct with the smaller tires it's simple math. I drove 8.6% further then what my odometer shows.
But, you are correct about the speedometer not being accurate. Its not on most vehicles. Even the Chevrolet I just traded in. I ran mine against a GPS and measured the smaller and larger set of tires. So I know what my differences are and what numbers I need to plug in to get my correct fuel economy.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
Presuming the speedometer was correct with the smaller tires it's simple math. I drove 8.6% further then what my odometer shows.
But, you are correct about the speedometer not being accurate. Its not on most vehicles. Even the Chevrolet I just traded in. I ran mine against a GPS and measured the smaller and larger set of tires. So I know what my differences are and what numbers I need to plug in to get my correct fuel economy.
That’s one of the first things I do when I get a new vehicle is check the odometer with a gps. I’ve had cars that were off by as much as 2 miles per 100 miles driven and then some have been right on the mark. You say you drove 8.6 % further than what your odometer said. If that’s true, you’re off 8.6 miles per 100 miles driven. That’s excessive.
I didn’t mention anything about the speedometer but yes you’re off on that also but you don’t use your speedometer to figure mpg.

Last edited:

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
That’s one of the first things I do when I get a new vehicle is check the odometer with a gps. I’ve had cars that were off by as much as 2 miles per 100 miles driven and then some have been right on the mark. You say you drove 8.6 % further than what your odometer said. If that’s true, you’re off 8.6 miles per 100 miles driven. That’s excessive.
I didn’t mention anything about the speedometer but yes you’re off on that also but you don’t use your speedometer to figure mpg.
Yes, installing larger/smaller tires changes miles driven on a uncalibrated speedometer/odometer. Even a new vehicle with OEM tires reads incorrectly as you mentioned. That's why I don't rely on the dash calculations being correct. But they do get you in the ballpark for posting pictures on the internet. They make devices to recalibrate your speedometer (which also automatically adjust odometer). Unfortunately, they aren't available for 2021's yet. Typically if your speedometer is off your odometer is as well. Unless they are run off two completely different systems, which I've personally never seen.
Thanks for the tip on not calculating my fuel economy using the speedometer. That would have been hell when I tried to check my mileage it at my next fill up, lol.
My math:
1) Miles driven since last fill up + 6.8% (odometer reads less than actual with larger tires)
2) Total from line 1 / gallons required to fill my tank since last fill up = total MPG's
I edited my original post to reflect a 6.8% tire size difference. Not a 8.6%.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How accurate is GPS when calculating speed? I was always under the impression that GPS was not that accurate.

mtmiller302

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Powerboost
I've had the thing for 8 days; replaced a 2010 5.4L so easy to beat in the mpg category. Drove a mixed bag of country 2 lane, 65 mph 4-lane, and rural small town stop-and-go. Averaged right at 26 mpg. Insane.
Sponsored